The Growroom Great Chilli And Pepper Grow Off 2021

The competitions in this section are all completed and no longer active.
Inactive account
Inactive Account

Re: The Growroom Great Chilli And Pepper Grow Off 2021

Post by Inactive account »

novice4oil wrote:Image
Wow that is one hell of a plant lol
Amazing

novice4oil
Has thanked: 0

Post by novice4oil »

It is a Sea of Green, two dozen or so plants each in small(ish) pots. The climate here makes them an annual, not perennial plants, that could grow large.
These users thanked the author novice4oil for the post:
Inactive account (Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:17 pm)

Inactive account
Inactive Account

novice4oil wrote:It is a Sea of Green, two dozen or so plants each in small(ish) pots. The climate here makes them an annual, not perennial plants, that could grow large.
I don’t think ive ever seen a sea of green like that lol , I take it your not in the uk but somewhere warmer and nicer lol

novice4oil

Post by novice4oil »

Mrs Beefheart wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:18 pm
novice4oil wrote:It is a Sea of Green, two dozen or so plants each in small(ish) pots. The climate here makes them an annual, not perennial plants, that could grow large.
I don’t think ive ever seen a sea of green like that lol , I take it your not in the uk but somewhere warmer and nicer lol
Uh, you presume wrong, even worse climate. UK has microclimates that support tropical fruits, and has the gulfstream on the South end, here it is all flat. Chinenses (so the hot ones) are still tiny, where they should be hip or waste high by now and in fruit. This year we had hot weather early April, then through May it was so cold, and cloudy for weeks on end, that even in a greenhouse plants struggled. And these are Capsicum Annuum varieties, so the not very hot ones that do better outside.

I should create some space and pull them apart to allow growth beyond the edge of each pot. Especially with warmer weather around the corner.

So you are in Scotland or similar climate?
Inactive account (Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:30 pm)

Inactive account
Inactive Account

novice4oil wrote:
Mrs Beefheart wrote:
Uh, you presume wrong, even worse climate. UK has microclimates that support tropical fruits, and has the gulfstream on the South end, here it is all flat. Chinenses (so the hot ones) are still tiny, where they should be hip or waste high by now and in fruit. This year we had hot weather early April, then through May it was so cold, and cloudy for weeks on end, that even in a greenhouse plants struggled. And these are Capsicum Annuum varieties, so the not very hot ones that do better outside.

So you are in Scotland or simillar climate?
Im in wales , so not quite so bad as Scotland lol I’ve grown mine on the window sills this yr nice and warm when the sun decides to shine

novice4oil

Post by novice4oil »

Mrs Beefheart wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:32 pm
novice4oil wrote:
Mrs Beefheart wrote:

Im in wales , so not quite so bad as Scotland lol I’ve grown mine on the window sills this yr nice and warm when the sun decides to shine
So you are still getting the warm gulfstream. These plants are not tall. They have grown the last week or two, regardless of the wind, rain and lack of sunshine.

The windowglass should have UV filtering so, when you ever move plants outside let them adjust to the unfiltered sunlight.
Inactive account (Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:46 pm)

Inactive account
Inactive Account

novice4oil wrote:
Mrs Beefheart wrote:
novice4oil wrote: Uh, you presume wrong, even worse climate. UK has microclimates that support tropical fruits, and has the gulfstream on the South end, here it is all flat. Chinenses (so the hot ones) are still tiny, where they should be hip or waste high by now and in fruit. This year we had hot weather early April, then through May it was so cold, and cloudy for weeks on end, that even in a greenhouse plants struggled. And these are Capsicum Annuum varieties, so the not very hot ones that do better outside.

So you are still getting the warm gulfstream. These plants are not tall. They have grown the last week or two, regardless of the wind, rain and lack of sunshine.

The windowglass should have UV filtering so, when you ever move plants outside let them adjust to the unfiltered sunlight.
Well it’s only just warming up here , one day sun 4 days grey lol , don’t think I be moving them outside tbh once they fruit I kill them lol

novice4oil

Post by novice4oil »

Mrs Beefheart wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:53 pm
novice4oil wrote:
Mrs Beefheart wrote:

Well it’s only just warming up here , one day sun 4 days grey lol , don’t think I be moving them outside tbh once they fruit I kill them lol
They may do multiple rounds of fruits (need to check out your plant first;-)). Some even can fruit in December, then again in March. If the windowsill is not having a downdraft or heatrise during the cold season. Especially the heat will make them an home to green aphids, even when the plant never was outside. On top you may have additional lighting.

novice4oil

Post by novice4oil »

Hmr81 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:59 am
Anyone use a heated prop? debating getting one to speed up the early growth on the Chilli & Peppers. Just wondered if they are worth the money or not.
They work wonders for germination, they get thougher when they need to grow on their own. But some help from an heat mat may be benefitial, but lift the lid and thereby the humidity. Not all window sills are equal one may have a serious downdraft. Have been puting off getting one myself. Germination is not good. For cold climates try sowing as early as possible, for some that is February, for others January or even December.
Hmr81 (Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:34 am)

Post by Guest »

novice4oil wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:44 am
DIY.Rik wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:37 pm
Just ordered some sweet chilli seeds. Some italian genetics, so must be good looking plant :lol:
Rik, there's at least one heatless Chinense variety in case you are looking for the flavour of the hot peppers. For me it required too long an Season, let me look for the name. perhaps an option for next year. Found it, it is the Frontera Sweet.
Nice one 👍 Are you a new member? Welcome along anyhow and thanks. I will keep that in mind, Google search now.
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

Return to “Completed Random Competitions”