Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

HPS heat

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Re: HPS heat

Post by The Aspie Toker »

Smokey wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:13 am
Hi guys,

Fair play on the upgrade Asp always pays you back in the end if you could convince the Mr's thats generally the case if all goes well i'd certainly think about a digital ballast set to 400 with either 400w HPS or 400w MH you would benefit far more with that option yield wise you would easily double up remember they generally judge light value per sqm to estimate yield Or...... Have you thought about a COB LED 300w grow i know i certainly have just look at Bull's diarys he smashes them out for fun no probs mate
Hi Mate,

Thank you for the input.

We're both on DLA, so money is tight as it is, and with my advertising income from my site dropping quicker than a pair of whore's knickers, we're struggling.

My last grow was shit. I lost one plant, then one got mould on it whilst drying, and the other 2 weren't great in yield. It was then the wife said about getting a larger tent. I said that will cost money, and will need stronger lights. I said that would cost you more money, but she seemed she wanted me to go up a bit.

I know she'll say no to 400w and it wouldn't be fair on her as I feel guilty as it is that she's paying.

Going from 200 to 250 won't hurt too much and would get better results due to penetration and higher PAR.

I do have a COB, and I have used it for a couple of grows. I didn't find any difference in yield, but I did notice that it was slightly louder than the Mars II 400w (200w real draw)
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Ahhh mate i understand when it comes to finance. But any upgrade you make no matter how big or small will still do you right mate I'm sure even little differences that aren't cost effective like plant training,super cropping, filling space, longer vegging all these little things can add up and boost your harvest mate
🍁 Who Jah Bless No Man Curse 🍁

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Smokey wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 5:51 pm
Ahhh mate i understand when it comes to finance. But any upgrade you make no matter how big or small will still do you right mate I'm sure even little differences that aren't cost effective like plant training,super cropping, filling space, longer vegging all these little things can add up and boost your harvest mate

I already LST and try and maximise the space available. Longer vegging isn't an option though as I mainly grow autos.

Samwise Gamgee

Post by Samwise Gamgee »

HPS do generate a lot of heat, I went from a Mars 2 900w (400w pull), and upgraded to a 750w HP DE lamp lol. Luckily the HPS I got is totally adjustable, but even at 400w it runs lot warmer than my LED did.

I found that when I started running HPS I also needed to upgrade both my exhaust and CF, and also needed an intake fan as well :(

But on the plus side, HPS has a lot better light penatration, so you get a lot denser longer buds.

Something to think about also when upgrading is make sure you get a full spectrum HPS, that way its as good for veg as for flower, plus it also has UV-B and UV-R, so you get similar crystally bud as you do with LED :)

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Why don't you grow photoperiods?
Saving money on seeds and electricity.
Plus photoperiods produce better quality weed imo.
Regarding the heat, I am sure you will be fine with 250w.
Regarding the noise, I have a 6" L1 running right ned to the neighbours wall and can't hear anything when I go to my mates house. I also have a 4" running in same room , so extra noise. They both unboxed.
Regarding interfering with other electrical items, never happened in mine. Ever. Just buy a quality ballast, not a cheap one.
250w ballast will hardly produce no heat.

On the other hand, I am getting more than 5 zips of a 200w Prakasa COB in a 0.6x0.6x1.4 tent with 1 plant only. 4 weeks Veg in 10L pot on 18/6, then flip to 12/12. Much cheaper than autos.Not sure what your goal is.

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Samwise Gamgee wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 6:20 pm
HPS do generate a lot of heat, I went from a Mars 2 900w (400w pull), and upgraded to a 750w HP DE lamp lol. Luckily the HPS I got is totally adjustable, but even at 400w it runs lot warmer than my LED did.

I found that when I started running HPS I also needed to upgrade both my exhaust and CF, and also needed an intake fan as well :(

But on the plus side, HPS has a lot better light penatration, so you get a lot denser longer buds.

Something to think about also when upgrading is make sure you get a full spectrum HPS, that way its as good for veg as for flower, plus it also has UV-B and UV-R, so you get similar crystally bud as you do with LED :)
Hi mate,

Thanks for the info. My 60x60 has a 5" extractor fan and CF - too large really for a tent that size, but does mean I can keep the variac at a low setting.

It's penetration that I'm after as it gets tight in the tent and end up with popcorn when there could have been a decent bud.

The thing is, I've never seen one in action in real life. Heat is subjective. My wife complains how cold she is, yet I am walking around the house bollock naked thinking that it's warm. I'll upgrade as long as the grow-room can handle it - and not have to "up the noise" levels of the fan.

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Bulls wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 6:25 pm
Why don't you grow photoperiods?
Saving money on seeds and electricity.
Plus photoperiods produce better quality weed imo.
Regarding the heat, I am sure you will be fine with 250w.
Regarding the noise, I have a 6" L1 running right ned to the neighbours wall and can't hear anything when I go to my mates house. I also have a 4" running in same room , so extra noise. They both unboxed.
Regarding interfering with other electrical items, never happened in mine. Ever. Just buy a quality ballast, not a cheap one.
250w ballast will hardly produce no heat.

On the other hand, I am getting more than 5 zips of a 200w Prakasa COB in a 0.6x0.6x1.4 tent with 1 plant only. 4 weeks Veg in 10L pot on 18/6, then flip to 12/12. Much cheaper than autos.Not sure what your goal is.
Hi mate,

(The multi-quote doesn't seem to work)

I do grow them from time to time, but only if I've had a good enough yield from the autos - and manage to start the photo off in time. Too early, and it can become a monster with too much growth. Too late, and that'll be time wasted (and potential no-weed time)

I know for sure it could handle the heat -IF I up the variac speed, but it becomes noisy... noisy enough to keep me awake.

I don't like noise as it is, and I have to sleep in this room. I am also being extra careful because my neighbour is also my landlady. During the day, it won't be so much of a problem (excusing the fact that I'll be in here most of the day getting annoyed with the noise) but at night, who knows?

Their son moved in with them, and he's also autistic. I don't know if his super-power is hearing.

I also grow in soil, so won't get the yields that hydro grows do.

If I grow one photo, then I'm putting all my eggs in one basket. If the plant fucks up, there's no back up plant. Time wasted, money wasted, and no weed.

Autos give me a quicker turnaround, and less chance for me to fuck up the grow.

kbag
GR420 Leg End

Post by kbag »

Well i think the best option's would be either to upgrade your led or buy a digital dimmable ballast. You can buy a omega digital ballast ,shade, and bulb for £80. This then gives you option of running either a 250w bulb 400w or even 600w .The omega has 5 year guarantee and i have never heard of issues of interference with modern day digital ballast's.
As for led lighting i know my prakasa 300w would out perform a 250w hps hands down, i would but it on a par with a 400w yield wise with better quality bud imo. Oh and a lot cooler to run making it cheaper as the fans do not need to work so hard as often to cool.
Food thought Aspie but summer is virtually here.

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

kbag wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:41 pm
Well i think the best option's would be either to upgrade your led or buy a digital dimmable ballast. You can buy a omega digital ballast ,shade, and bulb for £80. This then gives you option of running either a 250w bulb 400w or even 600w .The omega has 5 year guarantee and i have never heard of issues of interference with modern day digital ballast's.
As for led lighting i know my prakasa 300w would out perform a 250w hps hands down, i would but it on a par with a 400w yield wise with better quality bud imo. Oh and a lot cooler to run making it cheaper as the fans do not need to work so hard as often to cool.
I have a Dutch barn shade (for the CFL) so that's a little money saved. I know I won't be able to go 600w, but could get away with 400w ONLY IF I am on 12/12 as that will be the same as running my 200w for 24 hours, but as I mainly grow autos a 400w will be rarely used.

I have a Spider COB, but that's a little more louder than the Mars II 400w and didn't find any extra in yield.

I do like LEDs, but the fans annoy me. I can hear the noise of the LED fans more than I can hear the extractor fan.

I just don't want to fork out on something that I won't be able to use. Money is tight as it is, so I have to get it right first time.

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

The Aspie Toker wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:59 pm
kbag wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:41 pm
I have a Dutch barn shade (for the CFL) so that's a little money saved. I know I won't be able to go 600w, but could get away with 400w ONLY IF I am on 12/12 as that will be the same as running my 200w for 24 hours, but as I mainly grow autos a 400w will be rarely used.

I have a Spider COB, but that's a little more louder than the Mars II 400w and didn't find any extra in yield.

I do like LEDs, but the fans annoy me. I can hear the noise of the LED fans more than I can hear the extractor fan.

I just don't want to fork out on something that I won't be able to use. Money is tight as it is, so I have to get it right first time.
unfortunately Aspie mate these systems no matter how big or small all come with noise attached through lights, fans, heaters, timers, air pumps etc even when using acoustic ducting and silencers wherever possible doesn't eliminate the white noise these systems naturally create and after all I'm sure in time you would adjust and it would just be something you would get used to, no victory without struggle mate

Return to “Cannabis Issues And Questions”