Welcome to Growroom420 growers forum. Growroom420 is a online cannabis growing community. Follow grow diaries, find solutions to cannabis deficiencies, learn how to grow cannabis and much more. If this is your first visit you will need to register to access the forums full features and enter our many competitions. Click here to register.

Drippers or Hand feeding?

Knowledge base & discussions for growing cannabis
Bulls
Coco Grower

Drippers or Hand feeding?

Post by Bulls »

Good morning Growroom420. Lately I've been having huge issue with drippers. They keep getting blocked. I've tried 3 different types and nothing changes. I've been hand feeding and kind of feel that plants are developing better?

Has anyone actually seen if the entire coco is getting moistured when using drippers? Wonder if makes a difference.
Image vs Image

What is better? And how do you stop your drippers from getting blocked?
These users thanked the author Bulls for the post (total 4):
Keeno (Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:45 am) • Minty (Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:14 am) • Mrs Beefheart (Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:11 pm) • Cave Hill Cole (Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:08 am)
Chiesel Grow Diary
Glueberry OG by Dutch Passion

There is no passion to be found playing small and settling for a life that's less than the one you're capable of living

Hmr81
Known User

Re: Drippers or Hand feeding?

Post by Hmr81 »

by hand feeding lol
These users thanked the author Hmr81 for the post:
Keeno (Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:45 am)
From the Garage of HMR :puff puff:

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

I had so many issues the last 2 grows it was unreal, bloody drippers. Hand feeding would be a nightmare for the way i grow. I'm debating taking the drippers off completely so its just the pipe trickling water in.
It's nice to be nice :Stoned:

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Keeno wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:46 am
taking the drippers off completely so its just the pipe trickling water in.
That's what I've done last night mate... I had enough of blocked drippers, all day every day!
These users thanked the author Bulls for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:02 am) • camkush (Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:37 am)
Chiesel Grow Diary

There is no passion to be found playing small and settling for a life that's less than the one you're capable of living

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Though there was gonna be some mad science explanations ongoing but no lol
Chiesel Grow Diary

ohlordyeah_420
Respected User

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

Hah. I hand feed simply because I don't want to put any type of reservoir into my loft and I like getting up there nightly with the plants. I get home from work, smoke a joint, lift some weoghts and then chill out and feed the plants for 20 mins. I give them 2 litres each a night and they all have around 10%ish run off although it is going down on flower so may try 15 rather than 10 litres from tonight.
These users thanked the author ohlordyeah_420 for the post:
Minty (Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:15 am)

Nomoli

Post by Nomoli »

I've been using a line cleaner/ph adjuster (plant magic pure clean) and made my own drip rings by using a soldering iron to make a few holes in the pipe as per Josh's drip halo vid. Never had any problems with blocking yet
These users thanked the author Nomoli for the post:
Minty (Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:15 am)
Que sera, sera

Minty
Tech Admin

Post by Minty »

Nomoli wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:00 am
as per Josh's drip halo vid
This would be the route I would go if using drippers. Always been put off drippers due to the various reports of them blocking which is why I like the look of that Alien Rain so much.

Marcus
Respected User

Post by Marcus »

My thinking Bulls is that coco needs feeding real quick so the weight of the water pulls fresh oxygen in and forces old out.
Soil needs slowly slowly waterings.

I water by hand in coco and in 2 sittings. 1st litre to dampen the coco and dissolve any salts, then a few minutes later sling another litre into the pots. That last litre should pull all the lovely fresh air in and force out all the loosened and dissolved salts.

Old wives stuff here, no science but it makes sense to me. :oik!: I think. :idn:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 2):
Minty (Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:37 am) • Bulls (Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:19 pm)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.

kbag
GR420 Leg End

Post by kbag »

If i had the time and patience i would hand feed but ease and no hassle feeding i use the Wilma with the blue drippers. I am annal about keeping it clean though def no slime in my res lol.

ohlordyeah_420
Respected User

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

I also have to add i have 0 kids and my only real responsibility after work is getting on the sofa for 9pm so I can watch some shit with the missus.

@marcus thats the old wives stuff I like. Might try that for now on.
These users thanked the author ohlordyeah_420 for the post:
Marcus (Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:56 am)

Chad.Westport

Post by Chad.Westport »

Drippers are a moving part. Moving parts can and will break. If the size of your room allows it, I'm always a fan of hand watering. No better beneficial than a farmers shadow in the garden. More intimate knowledge of the daily changes.

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

in my head theres fuk all out there on the market when growing in coco in pots......... like good old fashion hand watering IMHO... drippers in my head i`d incline to think that they would soon play fuk with my medium within weeks of planting a sprout !! now then the main key factor growing soiless is to keep the medium well flushed with ferts daily is it not ? i cant see any dripper system on the market ATM than will do this !!!!!!!!!

so as of this I`M OUT. :oik!: good luck but give me a bucket and spade any day over a dripper :Stoned:

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

1 last thingy...... canna actually like`s water ATM my 6 plants are seeing themselves through with 14 litres between them 6 plants in 5 ltr pots,i get a decent runoff every day :oik!:

here they been potted up 1 week from a 5 inch pot :idn:

cmon do the maths + ffs do the ground work ennit.... the pot of medium is where its at for a healthy plant......+ the odd flush is bang tidy. :oik!:

Cave Hill Cole

Post by Cave Hill Cole »

Hey bro, personally every time I fooled around with drippers I had problems. I will be the first to put my hand up and say that is most likely user error. But it caused me to go back to hand watering. I hand watered for years and always had good results. It forces you to spend daily time with your plants which is a good thing. But then...life gets in the way. Before the current pandemic state of affairs I would often have to go away for days or weeks on end...which put a stop to hand watering for me and forced me to investigate autopots. Took me a little bit to work out the pitfalls of autopots...since then have never looked back. I'm a huge fan of autpots. If I didn't use them...I would probably make a hempy bucket setup..I hear great things about hempy's...but have zero personal experience.
"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own.” Bruce Lee

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Thank you all for the great feedback. Has anyone checked if rootball is better using hand feed and dripper with 2 plants grown next to each other?

I started hand feeding or using the 4mm feed line without any drippers on it..no blocking and takes 2 minutes instead of 15!
Chiesel Grow Diary

Momma bear
Instagram Admin

Post by Momma bear »

Bulls wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:22 pm
Thank you all for the great feedback. Has anyone checked if rootball is better using hand feed and dripper with 2 plants grown next to each other?

I started hand feeding or using the 4mm feed line without any drippers on it..no blocking and takes 2 minutes instead of 15!
I mix my feed in a 20L bucket everyday. I have a res that I use to hold water for them but I dont feed from it. I mix feed then using water pump and hose with no drippers attached. Like a water hose outside. works for me but i would assume its prob not the best way hahaha
A Heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others- The Wizard of Oz

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

ImageImage
These users thanked the author Bulls for the post:
kbag (Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:00 am)
Chiesel Grow Diary

kbag
GR420 Leg End

Post by kbag »

Pipe Cleaners :Shock: hope they are secure enough Bulls. You would not want a flood.
These users thanked the author kbag for the post:
Bulls (Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:13 am)

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

They are secure kbag. I am always there at the moment when I water, no timers. But I am thinking of another way of securing them better..so If anyone has cheap solution..I am all ears :lol:
Chiesel Grow Diary

Return to “Canna Growing”