Welcome to the general & cannabis growers discussion section. This section is for general discussions about cannabis and growing. Plenty of laughs to be found in here. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Another energy rise in October - 32%

A place to discuss cannabis and growing related topics
seymore_budz
Respected Member

Re: Another energy rise in October - 32%

Post by seymore_budz »

Keeno wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:08 pm
2-Scoops wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:44 pm
So come October that will make it an 100% increase year on year in energy prices in UK. Not good at all.
One thing is for sure, it will devastate the hobbyist out there. It will be cheaper to buy than grow your own. People will not risk growing or take the months to do so. Crazy times.
I disagree. Even though the price to produce is going to go up considerably, it will still be way cheaper than buying it and you can guarantee quality etc. Next thing we will see jump in price is fertiliser. I would expect to see a considerable increase in price over the next 6 months :(

If you're not using LEDs now is the time to invest. I'm just glad the technology improved :)

An energy saving thread with a sticky post with recommendations would be an awesome thing to have here. Would help a lot of people out I would say.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 5):
wutang (Mon May 16, 2022 1:16 pm) • Keeno (Mon May 16, 2022 1:47 pm) • Herbalist (Mon May 16, 2022 2:04 pm) • IMO (Mon May 16, 2022 4:09 pm) • Guest (Mon May 16, 2022 5:35 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Keeno
Respected Member

Post by Keeno »

seymore_budz wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:10 pm
Keeno wrote:
2-Scoops wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:44 pm
So come October that will make it an 100% increase year on year in energy prices in UK. Not good at all.
One thing is for sure, it will devastate the hobbyist out there. It will be cheaper to buy than grow your own. People will not risk growing or take the months to do so. Crazy times.
I disagree. Even though the price to produce is going to go up considerably, it will still be way cheaper than buying it and you can guarantee quality etc. Next thing we will see jump in price is fertiliser. I would expect to see a considerable increase in price over the next 6 months :(

If you're not using LEDs now is the time to invest. I'm just glad the technology improved :)

An energy saving thread with a sticky post with recommendations would be an awesome thing to have here. Would help a lot of people out I would say.
I dont know mate. Im hearing sales have slowed down across the industry since the price hike when it comes to kit. There is a lot of cheap shit weed out there, under £100 an oz. Id imagine many dont smoke an oz a month, unless its medical. The average grow is 4 months. So £400 costs to buy weed for the time it takes to grow your own for the average stoner. Its going to cost that to produce without other costs of growing chucked in. People will look at setup costs, running costs, possible chance of the front door coming off and opt for the cheaper option imo.

100% agree that quality control is the main driving factor and will be. But how many stoners actually grow now, the vast majority buy off the streets. I cant see more getting into the hobby side of things when the options are mad running costs and having to jump straight into expensive LED systems. Convenience beats quality, cost does to for the vast majority of people. Shame but it's true. I cant see more getting into it now, not more than before.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 3):
seymore_budz (Mon May 16, 2022 1:57 pm) • Herbalist (Mon May 16, 2022 2:04 pm) • sybarite (Mon May 16, 2022 7:12 pm)

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

Welcome to NEW WORLD ORDER!!!!

great googly moogly!

These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post (total 6):
Keeno (Mon May 16, 2022 1:57 pm) • Herbalist (Mon May 16, 2022 2:04 pm) • IMO (Mon May 16, 2022 4:12 pm) • sybarite (Mon May 16, 2022 7:12 pm) • Greenfingers (Mon May 16, 2022 7:16 pm) • Bulls (Tue May 17, 2022 1:03 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Keeno wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:55 pm
seymore_budz wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:10 pm
Keeno wrote:

I dont know mate. Im hearing sales have slowed down across the industry since the price hike when it comes to kit. There is a lot of cheap shit weed out there, under £100 an oz. Id imagine many dont smoke an oz a month, unless its medical. The average grow is 4 months. So £400 costs to buy weed for the time it takes to grow your own for the average stoner. Its going to cost that to produce without other costs of growing chucked in. People will look at setup costs, running costs, possible chance of the front door coming off and opt for the cheaper option imo.

100% agree that quality control is the main driving factor and will be. But how many stoners actually grow now, the vast majority buy off the streets. I cant see more getting into the hobby side of things when the options are mad running costs and having to jump straight into expensive LED systems. Convenience beats quality, cost does to for the vast majority of people. Shame but it's true. I cant see more getting into it now, not more than before.
Yup I've heard similar rumors but at the same time things always seem to slow down before the summer. Also I've heard the same about street weed. Average price is £130/oz and its not crap either. Not top draw but not bad either. If you ain't paying for the electric then a price hike don't affect you :lol:

I still don't see the growers packing in and buying it because you become accustomed to the quality. I won't be stopping I can tell you that :) Just got to get smart about things. A 400w light running for 18h will will cost £2.60 per day to run if the price goes up to 37p/kwh. An average veg period is average 4 weeks and a flowering period is average aroubd 9 weeks so a veg period will cost you £72.80 and a flower period will cost you £163.80. If you're doing a good job, you can expect around 20oz if using LED. Also, this is assuming you're running everything at 100% realistically, you can veg a 1.2 grow tent on a lot less light. Even if you're running a 400w sodium in a 1m tent, a good run would be ~15oz. 15oz should last a heavy stoner three months for sure. I run my mother room on about 40w of LED and can easily pull 30-50 cuttings out of there every month if I wanted to.

It's mad how much tech has moved on TBH. I can run my whole op on less that 600w where a room to produce what I do monthly would have used at least 1500w+ a decade ago.
Last edited by seymore_budz on Mon May 16, 2022 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Mon May 16, 2022 2:46 pm) • sybarite (Mon May 16, 2022 7:13 pm)

FX
Known User

Post by FX »

Solar panels are looking better and better....
These users thanked the author FX for the post:
Keeno (Mon May 16, 2022 2:46 pm)
“Although I am a typical loner in daily life, my consciousness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice has preserved me from feeling isolated.” - Albert Einstein

Keeno
Respected Member

Post by Keeno »

I hope you are right as it's a triple header. Cheap weed on streets, costing a fortune to produce your own, the whole legality thing will come into play which I don't think will help personal growers but thats a whole different conversation. People can access legal weed medically as well with no risk of having a door kicked off.

A grower should be hitting the above numbers you mention and more after a few grows. Chuck in the odd pm, rot, hermy, shit strain they don't get on with, and all the other issues we all hit... as I say convenience unfortunately wins the day 99% of time for people.

Someone just said to me hat a local hydro shop has people offering grow gear back to them. I doubt the vast majority of growers will pack it in, but less and less will get into the hobby with running costs, setup costs, risks, not when there are more cost effective, less risky or even legal avenues available to them. Less getting into it means less hobby growers over time doing what we love, sharing info, learning, teaching.

Interesting few years to come.

These users thanked the author Keeno for the post:
seymore_budz (Mon May 16, 2022 2:50 pm)

Keeno
Respected Member

Post by Keeno »

FX wrote:Solar panels are looking better and better....
This is something I'll be doing this year or next.

duke
Respected Member

Post by duke »

im going to build a nuclear reactor in my shed and give everyone free leccy!,or finish building my wind turbine as i have shitloads of ex wheelchair batterys and an inverter so i can atleast keep the wheelchairs charged and run a small led for the veg cab,robbers all. :oh-shit:
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 4):
Keeno (Mon May 16, 2022 3:21 pm) • seymore_budz (Mon May 16, 2022 5:14 pm) • sybarite (Mon May 16, 2022 7:14 pm) • FX (Tue May 17, 2022 1:33 pm)
sussex pet rescue fundraiser https://sussexpetrescue.org
help rescued dogs by donating for good karma and because its nice to give, :thanks:
link to diary viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7385

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

This government needs to go and we need to get people in who actually have a clue how to run things, we have hundreds of years I even heard thousands of coal in the uk alone, technology in filtration etc has moved on and they can burn coal cleanly now, co2 is plant food so let’s get burning it, until we have a cheap viable alternative instead of putting us back into the dark ages.
These users thanked the author IMO for the post (total 4):
Keeno (Mon May 16, 2022 4:35 pm) • duke (Mon May 16, 2022 4:40 pm) • seymore_budz (Mon May 16, 2022 5:14 pm) • sybarite (Mon May 16, 2022 7:14 pm)

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

I think the case for home growing is still very strong in terms of price and even at 37p kWh I think it makes sense although I can see how it will put some off, if they don’t live the growing process as well.
These users thanked the author IMO for the post (total 4):
Keeno (Mon May 16, 2022 5:08 pm) • seymore_budz (Mon May 16, 2022 5:10 pm) • 420mFuk (Mon May 16, 2022 8:22 pm) • duke (Tue May 17, 2022 2:08 pm)

Return to “General Growers & Cannabis Discussion”