Welcome to the general & cannabis growers discussion section. This section is for general discussions about cannabis and growing. Plenty of laughs to be found in here. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Inhouse Genetics or RAW Genetics?

A place to discuss cannabis and growing related topics
Cave Hill Cole
Known User

Re: Inhouse Genetics or RAW Genetics?

Post by Cave Hill Cole »

seymore_budz wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:44 pm
I try to look at the linage of the genotypes that I grow but the thing is the market has been full of shitskis and con artists for a while now so it's hard to know what's what.

Back when I started there was only a handful of breeders I had access too. Back then there wasn't the Internet like there is nowadays so I had to travel and visit a headshop and pick from a menu of about 20-30 strains. Most of the time I had to wait for weeks for them to arrive but they would match the description and hermies were pretty much unheard of. The hermies came when feminised seeds took over from regs but even then most of what you bought was decent. It all went to shit around 2006-08 within my little bubble. All of a sudden there were a shed load of seed companies pop up promising the world and 9/10 the seeds were trash. It done so much damage that many growers I knew refused to grow from seed and would travel up and down the country buying clones. I carried on trying seeds but it was always a throw of the dice. I remember around 2008 running about 15 different strains from all over the place and none of them were any good. Really put me off for years and in the end I went back to clone-only strains and didn't even bother with seeds. The bickering on the Internet used to make my head spin. You had seed companies slating eachother on forums while claiming to have the fire genetics and talking shit as well as decent seed suppliers getting a bad rep from matey feeding his plant everything he could find at his local grow shop and burning the shit out of the plants.

When I started growing again about 4 years ago I really didn't want to pop my head above the water. Because I was fairly active amongst growers, asking for cuttings would attract all sorts of attention so my only choice was seed. I started by grabbing some DP beans and to be fair they were decent but not special. Since then I've bought all sorts of beans from all over the place. Some from the old Dutch guys, some cali stuff and some of the Spanish seeds like La Mota & Dinafem etc. Nothing has really stood out like the shit I used to grow. I'm starting to think I'm seeing things through rose tinted glasses or something

I don't mind paying for seeds as I just love cannabis and want to grow em all. Its my hobby at the end of the day. All of my pals have their little things like golf etc and some of them will spend over £1k on a club My missus on the other hand isn't happy with my seed obsession. I'll keep hunting though. If anything it's been fun starting new shit and tinkering.

Also if the Slurriking end up gifting me with a pink pheno I think the missus will forgive me for dropping another £150 on seeds :)
I hear you Seymore, I'm a fellow seed buying addict....I just need them all for some reason, it makes me safe knowing I have my own little cannabis seed vault. Growing is my passion and hobby, so I have no problem dropping cash on it. My currency sucks ass too, so its that much more expensive for me.

I live down in New Zealand man, its basically like being in the 1980s for growing. There are cuts down here, but they are closely guarded and I don't know the holders. Its a long way to send clones even if I knew someone over seas. So i have no access to elite clones, like many other people in the world. Therefore, seeds are important & my only option. I have to grow out, find and make my own elite clones. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that. But it forced me to do a lot of research to under stand the cannabis galaxy, history of seed banks and growing etc. You really need to understand the history of cannabis breeding to select the genotype you want to explore. At least by doing this, now you have a control to compare against your cheaper mass produced fem hype strains, otherwise you never actually know what's good.

I've found if you can find a small time boutique breeder, usually a family or one dude, that lives in a cannabis mecca and is well recommended, then they usually have legit genetics and gear and you can find some gold. That's why I like Bodhi, he's from Mendo, has been breeding for many years is always spoken highly of, its unlikely he's going to lie about provenance, ive found mostly fire in his work. I just grabbed a bunch of gear from CSI humbolt, again hes from Mendo, is part of the chem family crew and had the chems for over 20yrs. Lucky dog is another one, Skunk VA is a holder of original genetics. I like Home Grown Natural wonders, again a family from Portland. Jinks proof is another family breeder from the Portland area. Mean Gene from Freeborn Selections and Bob Hemphill from Crickets and Cicadas also come to mind, but I haven't grown their gear out yet.

Hahaha what your misses doesn't know won't hurt her.
These users thanked the author Cave Hill Cole for the post (total 2):
Treetrunk (Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:40 am) • seymore_budz (Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:08 am)
Weed will get me through times of no money, better than money will get me through times of no weed - Robert Sabbag, Smoke Screen

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

What my missus doesn't know can't hurt me you mean :lol: I'll have to run some of the more obscure stuff again. I really liked the B.I.G seeds I bought but they all tend to be big and boisterous do really doesn't suit my little tent grows. I do have a bunch of their seeds I'm yet to run though. He only does regs so to do a pheno hunt I need at least 10 plants. Even that guy isn't sage and has a bunch of controversy surrounding him. Apparently, he's just a TH Seeds salesman selling their seeds rebranded.

They've recently changed the law within the UK and the last lot of seeds I bought from the USA had 'seeds' all over the envelope due to the recent changes. They screamed come and raid me :lol:
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
Cave Hill Cole (Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:31 am)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Well they're here :) Diary will be coming towards the end of the year. Excellent service from Attitude Seed Bank.

These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 3):
ohlordyeah_420 (Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:37 pm) • MrNice (Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:54 pm) • 420mFuk (Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:02 am)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Hello guys,

Thought I'd come back and update you on the Slurriking. 4 seeds planted and 48 hours later, 4 have risen above the soil line!

Maybe the CannVerified code worked? The other packs could be old packs or even fake? Who knows; all I know is as soon as I opened the pack, I could tell the seeds were much healthier than what I've had previously from In-House.

Benjic93

Post by Benjic93 »

seymore_budz wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:37 am
Hello guys,

Thought I'd come back and update you on the Slurriking. 4 seeds planted and 48 hours later, 4 have risen above the soil line!

Maybe the CannVerified code worked? The other packs could be old packs or even fake? Who knows; all I know is as soon as I opened the pack, I could tell the seeds were much healthier than what I've had previously from In-House.

Dam this thread still going? Lol. They look good man. I've got a pack of blackcherry punch I'm eager to pop but I'll wait until after winter so I don't have to fight with the environment too much. Trying to get a pack of their slurricane 7 though.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Lol had to give an update or it wouldn't be fair :)

Return to “General Growers & Cannabis Discussion”