Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Help with roots - what is eating them?

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Re: Help with roots - what is eating them?

Post by Marcus »

Where did you get your coir from @Bulls ?

There's a couple of grow shops in the area that I avoid like the plague, walk in there and there's gnats EVERYWHERE! Scruffy buggers.

Dex
Known User

Post by Dex »

Dex wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:32 am
Bulls wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:17 pm
Quick update on what’s going on. NOTHING. These fuckers are just refusing to die. I’ve sprayed them with everything possible. Neem oil. Canna cure. Lost coast Plant therapy. Last one Ive even added to feed. I have them No Pests strips in the tent too that seem to kill everything but NO. These fuckers are still alive.
They are hard to kill buddy I kept those in pots when ever I grew new plants, long story how I found out they are actually good for roots and don't harm em...

Is it the little spider mite look things ? I'd so they are springtails and good for roots
Edit try poke em and something if they disappear then it's deffo springtails

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Dex wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:40 am
Edit try poke em and something if they disappear then it's deffo springtails
Good call that Dex! They do look a bit like young springtails from a quick piccture google.

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Bulls wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:15 pm
GMO wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:50 pm
H2O2 3% root drench?

You recon it would help?
Yes mate, it will knock back anything in the media too, if its a fungal issue itll help that too
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Dex
Known User

Post by Dex »

GMO wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:57 pm
Bulls wrote:
GMO wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:50 pm
H2O2 3% root drench?

You recon it would help?
Yes mate, it will knock back anything in the media too, if its a fungal issue itll help that too
I was gonna say that if you add dry food as top dressing their poop helps roots and they will go round cleaning roots.

I found out they are good by doing a test I took a afghan cutting and put it in soil infested with springtails and I swear it rooted with bright white roots and no death.... it's when I found out they are good

Sprigtails are good for breaking down food and for eating dead roots ....

They come in white and grayish brown colour I found in my pots.... if it jumps its deffo that and add a top dress to keep em

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:52 am
Give that medium a neem oil drench with a spot of fairy up liquid in there too. Should suffocate the buggers.
I recon so too mate, its great stuff for use on medium born bugs as a soil drench used as a prep b4hand or whilst growing if needs be. Done a few times over a week plant takes on systemic properties of the neem for short while too. 8-)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Dex wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:20 pm
GMO wrote:
Bulls wrote:

You recon it would help?
I was gonna say that if you add dry food as top dressing their poop helps roots and they will go round cleaning roots.

I found out they are good by doing a test I took a afghan cutting and put it in soil infested with springtails and I swear it rooted with bright white roots and no death.... it's when I found out they are good

They come in white and grayish brown colour I found in my pots.... if it jumps its deffo that and add a top dress to keep em
Yes mate, spring tails are actually bred by people for their frass as its beneficial for plants and for helping pest resistance (this is why I'm happy to have spring tails in my worm bins)

But for bulls in coco it might be a cleaner grow wiping out any crawlies in the pots and just feeding direct with salt based nutrients

If it is a fungal issue rather than root aphids H2O2 will clear this up as well

Dex
Known User

Post by Dex »

GMO wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:17 pm
Dex wrote:
GMO wrote:

Yes mate, spring tails are actually bred by people for their frass as its beneficial for plants and for helping pest resistance (this is why I'm happy to have spring tails in my worm bins)

But for bulls in coco it might be a cleaner grow wiping out any crawlies in the pots and just feeding direct with salt based nutrients

Springtails love coco as well because its always damp buddy they love moisture and for controle of colony they say to dry the pot one in a while but I really really think its springtails. And springtails do not die, you can use heavy feeds and all sorts and they will not die apart from drying the pots then they jump onto anything damp... so I keep my wife away and er legs shut when she is near the groom loool

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Dex wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:38 am
GMO wrote:
Dex wrote:

Springtails love coco as well because its always damp buddy they love moisture and for controle of colony they say to dry the pot one in a while but I really really think its springtails. And springtails do not die, you can use heavy feeds and all sorts and they will not die apart from drying the pots then they jump onto anything damp... so I keep my wife away and er legs shut when she is near the groom loool
:distraught: brilliant

Your bang on bud. but i do you think springtails would be munching on healthy roots too?

Dex
Known User

Post by Dex »

GMO wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:51 am
Dex wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:38 am
GMO wrote:

:distraught: brilliant

Your bang on bud. but i do you think springtails would be munching on healthy roots too?
From my past research and little afghan clone test I can deffo say an infested and I mean infested soil that had white spots all over looking like perlite dust which was springtails managed to root a clone and have white as f roots when it rooted...

So I don't think it's the springtails what are munching on it... could be the roots air pruning it's self or something else av fi gwaan mi bradda lol

I can vouch for springtails and are great I love em the forst colonies I found I eventually moved ti polly and my potted apple,pear and cherry trees :D

They break organic matter like machines and their poo is readily available for roots to uptake they are great and very hard to kill little fuckers lol

Is it @Bulls ?? needs to try and poke it with a tooth pick while looking at it with the lens, if it vanishes then he is alright and needs to look at what else is causing the roots to do that, but springtails are beneficial for canna growing especially if your organic, in synthetic nutes they thrive too if the medium is wet they just go around breaking things down but not live healthy roots

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”