High Expectations, recreational and medical breeding/growing

Cannabis breeding and related discussions
Norseman
Known User

High Expectations, recreational and medical breeding/growing

Post by Norseman »

Ran across this article the other day and thought it might be of interest. It is quite long.

How seed companies are using standard and new breeding techniques to produce new cannabis varieties for both discerning recreational consumers and a growing number of new medical applications.

https://european-seed.com/2020/08/high-expectations/
These users thanked the author Norseman for the post (total 3):
Guest (Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:31 pm) • Cave Hill Cole (Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:29 pm) • Rubbered (Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:49 pm)
In the Silence lies the Power

Norseman
Known User

Re: High Expectations, recreational and medical breeding/growing

Post by Norseman »

I did find it interesting to read about what these breeders are up to and what they are trying to achieve. Some do focus on CBG while others focus on CBD.
Also cool to read that Dutch Passion got their own seed vault which they have had for 40 years.
Also found it quite intriguing to see all these different kinds of cannabinoids where some were unfamiliar to me.
These users thanked the author Norseman for the post:
Guest (Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:31 pm)

Cave Hill Cole
Known User

Re: High Expectations, recreational and medical breeding/growing

Post by Cave Hill Cole »

It certainly seems like they are focusing on the "weak links" of modern cannabis genetics for market production reasons:
1) - Stability is king, if you a production company you want your cultivars to by as stable as possible to reduce the risk of crop seeding.
2) Pest and mould resistance, you want o make sure as much of your crop as possible get across the line in once piece...when being grown in cheaper outdoor conditions.
3) Drought and disease resistance, again making a plant bullet proof so its market value is protected come harvest.
4) New variety development to find the next "new kid on the block cannaboid", as you pointed out Chad the next miracle drug

So yeah, its what I would do research wise if it was my company too. Bred plants that are homozygous as possible, resistance to pests and hard conditions so crop harvest numbers are as high as possible. But as growers we win out of this too. We get cultivars that dont get PM and bud rot at the drop of a hat.
These users thanked the author Cave Hill Cole for the post:
Norseman (Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:31 pm)
Weed will get me through times of no money, better than money will get me through times of no weed - Robert Sabbag, Smoke Screen

Return to “Cannabis Breeding”