Welcome to the cannabis school for new growers section. In this section you can ask and get answers to questions about growing cannabis. Whether you are are new to growing cannabis or thinking about getting into the hobby, there are no silly questions so ask away. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

leaf issues - advice needed.

A place for new grower to ask questions and learn about growing cannabis
bigbadbillybob
Known User

Re: leaf issues - advice needed.

Post by bigbadbillybob »

worm humus in coco? Why did you add that?

er, thats really not a good idea, coco is a hydroponic growth method, and you are mixing organic soil additive with non organic coco? .
Worm humus is meant for use with soil, to break down bacteria in the soil, it will do nothing good in coco.
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post:
2-Scoops (Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:34 pm)

longtimelover

Post by longtimelover »

bigbadbillybob wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:55 am

er, thats really not a good idea, coco is a hydroponic growth method, and you are mixing organic soil additive with non organic coco? .
Worm humus is meant for use with soil, to break down bacteria in the soil, it will do nothing good in coco.
advice and tips from others when I was starting out

will drop it for the next grow

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

thats just piss poor advice. whoever gave you it- dont ask them for advice again, they clearly dont have a clue.

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Yeah i think the damaged is likely from the grower tbh mate

keep calm and carry on
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
longtimelover (Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:22 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:01 pm
bigbadbillybob wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:55 am

bigbadbillybob wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:09 am
thats just piss poor advice. whoever gave you it- dont ask them for advice again, they clearly dont have a clue.
Erm, folks have been using castings in coco for donkeys, no issues. Think there's a couple of folks on here and the other places that use it to no ill effect.

Also good to use castings as a tea drench.

10% ain't gonna rock the boat and should help with a bit of cation exchange.

His plants look sound, bar a few growing pains.

:idn:
im not saying his plants look poor due to the use of this, but what is it to be, , coco or soil? organic coco soil maybe, i give up, or a bit of both pmsl.
Earthworm castings are an active biological mix of bacteria, enzymes, broken-down plant matter and animal manure, as well as earthworm cocoons (while damp). This diverse microbial population plays an important part in "soil fertility" by converting complex substances into available nutrients. note- soil fertility, not coco, coco is hydroponic by its very nature, so why would you want to add organic matter to a hydroponic medium, it it makes zero sense, the only minor benefit might be a small percentage of added magnesium.
As for people using it for years, ive been on these interweb forums for years and until today have never heard of coco mixed with earthworm castings....., why would you? if its dead plant matter you want to break down why would you not just add cannazym like everyone else?.

Or maybe you can explain to me why its a good idea.... :puff puff:
longtimelover (Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:58 pm)

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

so its organic cannazym then?
oh well, , every days a school day, maybe its my "non organic" hydro brain kickin into action who knows, or for that matter cares, as long as your happy.

I guess i do need to get out more, anywhere you'd recommend?
longtimelover (Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:06 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Would you wanna increase CEC of any decent branded coco that`s been buffered, is their really a point of doing that @Marcus ? I would think by increasing it then it may just start messing with ph and hogging calcium and magnesium which it does naturally what with them having a double positive charge it takes them up twice as fast.

Would Cannazym be classed as organic or not @bigbadbillybob im just thinking aren`t all enzymes organic ?
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Nanook (Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:14 pm) • bigbadbillybob (Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:31 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:19 pm
2-Scoops wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:13 pm
Would you wanna increase CEC of any decent branded coco that`s been buffered, is their really a point of doing that @Marcus ? I would think by increasing it then it may just start messing with ph and hogging calcium and magnesium which it does naturally what with them having a double positive charge it takes them up twice as fast.
Worm castings are ph neutral Jimbo.

I believe the whole point of coco is faster nutrient uptake as opposed to mud?

I've always mixed a scoop or two of charge/castings into my coco and seen no sick plants, as do others I've seen on my travels on this here internet.

Yes cool on ph neutral but by increasing CEC your coco medium will start to hog calcium and magnesium more or so i would think and by increasing CEC then cal & mag can start to bind with coco and lock it out and possibly fuck with ph cus its holding onto calcium and magnesium. I mean i get you on neutral ph of stuff you adding but CEC is about exchange of ions and anions or is it just ions, (its a mind fuck alright) i think and tis these what determines if ph holds steady int it by having well balanced medium which we buy from shop thats preopped by pro`s, well unless your using £-land coco that is, its a real mind fuck on my head this CEC stuff.

CEC of coco is more than enough for plants needs or so i would think and at end of shift plant will only use what it wants not what you give

Out of interest have or do you ever check run off PH ? Daft question cus i know answer :lol: , but yes i know your plants always look cock on, but is ph always holding steady as she goes. Not that it matters too much iff plants are looking great but getting ph right all way through a grow is better than any bought boost for increasing yields. Out of interest i dont check my run of ph either :lol:

I`m not sure on any of this by the way m8 its just shit stuck in my head im typing out :idn:

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Not sure how that works with grub from shops but yes i take your point, i suppose its another reason to buy ferts made in their own countries tried and tested here even more if it is @Marcus

Feck knows about adding charge and mineral salts mate its beyond my abilities atmo, i may invest and try it some day :D
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Marcus (Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:39 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:53 pm
2-Scoops wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:20 pm
Not sure how that works with grub from shops but yes i take your point, i suppose its another reason to buy ferts made in their own countries tried and tested here even more if it is @Marcus

Feck knows about adding charge and mineral salts mate its beyond my abilities atmo, i may invest and try it some day :D
I know there's a place in the UK that test your water and formulate grub for it, but I'm happy in the mud with this plagron alga bloom. All I use now ... no issues with my plants bar a bit of lockout when I try adding pk, so I don't add it now. :lol:

Dex put me onto using charge/castings in coco probably 5 years ago.

Once I dropped the Canna nutes and went to Dutch Pro hard water, I never had any issues at all with my set up. PLants were much healthier and I could leave them alone to grow.

I can send you a few scoops of my worms poop if you want to try it? A few worms might be in there too. :oik!:
Yes Growers Ark im pretty sure tailor make ferts to youir water if you send them up a sample of water, they are based in Barnsley which is on my doorstep about 2 or 3 miles away, well they did, but yes great ferts they are that ive used more than once in past. I`m all for using cheapest coco ferts tbh nowadays.

I`m good with worm shit mate. Tbh ive just started using h202 once a week as a boost in early and mid bloom, well that and it keeps roots in a things sterile environment. Cheers for offer though :)

Return to “Canna School for Newbies!”