Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Old Beans, not fridge stored, germ advice?

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
GrowGlow

Post by GrowGlow »

Did the water soak, paper towels then planted them. Been a week still nothing. These are 3-4 year old seeds. God knows how long they were stored before it was sent to me. 6 months ago was still germing fine.

I have:

Powdered humic/fulvic acid. Labels say 70% humic and 15%-20% fulvic.

H2O2 6%

Seaweed/Kelp Extract Powder

Some GA3 10% tablets on the way. But will it be necessary If I already have kelp?

Plan is,

1. Soak in mild H2O2 solution. Instead of 1ml to 10ml, gonna just do 1ml to 100ml. Soak for 8-12 hours.

2. Add about 0.3g of seaweed extract to a litre of RO water. Then soak for another 8-12 hours. Do I add GA3 here? Or do a separate GA3 soak? Or transfer to paper towels damped with GA3 solution? Or skip it entirely?

Advice much appreciated!

Philzon   Vape4Ever
Minty
Respected Member

Re: Old Beans, not fridge stored, germ advice?

Post by Minty »

*Minty* quickly and quietly moves all his seeds into the fridge...
These users thanked the author Minty for the post (total 3):
Elijah Growz (Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:59 pm) • TommyT (Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:49 am) • Tictok (Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:08 am)

GrowGlow

Post by GrowGlow »

Marcus wrote:PLanted in soil or coco?

LAndrace beans or modern hybrid? Breeder?

Personally,

Leave them be, do a wet and dry watering cycle on them as normal and they'll crack when ready. 25+*C temps too.

In the meantime, stick any of the other beans in the fridge, it'll winterize them and that could help in the next round of trying to pop them. :idn:
Modern hybrids from various breeders. All have germed fine before.

Already put beans in fridge few days back.

Am gonna let them be for a bit. They were planted in Peat moss, worm Castings and some rice hulls. Have always used this mix.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Soaking in fulvic or h202 works and should help them pop, also add a wee bit of kelp if using fulvic and a bit of dextrose or white table sugar in fact you can add sugar to h202 as well but i didn`t. Myself ive just started 12% h202 with very old seeds i was struggling to sprout, i added 2ml to a pint of water soaked a seed for 10 to 12 hours before removing it and rinsing under tap and then i put it between a damp kitchen towel in a container and finally in a kitchen cupboard it was full sprouted within 4 days and out of it`s shell altogether, pretty snazzy i thought for first terst but i shall be doing this with all my beanz from now on.

https://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com ... arden.html

https://www.dinafem.org/en/blog/rescue-cannabis-seeds/
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Joker59 (Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:02 pm) • seymore_budz (Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:09 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

GrowGlow

Post by GrowGlow »

2-Scoops wrote:Soaking in fulvic or h202 works and should help them pop, also add a wee bit of kelp if using fulvic and a bit of dextrose or white table sugar in fact you can add sugar to h202 as well but i didn`t. Myself ive just started 12% h202 with very old seeds i was struggling to sprout, i added 2ml to a pint of water soaked a seed for 10 to 12 hours before removing it and rinsing under tap and then i put it between a damp kitchen towel in a container and finally in a kitchen cupboard it was full sprouted within 4 days and out of it`s shell altogether, pretty snazzy i thought for first terst but i shall be doing this with all my beanz from now on.

Thank you. I'm doing a similar approach. Soak in H2O2. 1ml of 6% H2O2 to 100ml water. I soak for around 3-4 hours.

Then soak in about 75ppm of Seaweed and humic/fulvic acid. Both in powder form. Just a pinch of each in a cup of water. Soak for around 8-9 hours.

Final soak is with 125ppm GA3 solution. I bought cheap 10% GA3 soluble tablets and slowly disolve it in RO water until it reaches 125ppm. I honestly have no idea if this is 125ppm or 12.5ppm due to the 10% GA3. I soak for around 12 hours.

This gives it around 24 hours of total soak time. I then transfer it to paper towels.

I got a better germination rate. I started off with 1 out of 10. Using the method above, I managed 3 out of 4. I have just germed another 8 beans and already have 3 showing tail. I planted them but it's a success only if they break ground. Still waiting on the other 5. I hope to get another 3 out of them.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

GrowGlow wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:37 pm
2-Scoops wrote:Soaking in fulvic or h202 works and should help them pop, also add a wee bit of kelp if using fulvic and a bit of dextrose or white table sugar in fact you can add sugar to h202 as well but i didn`t. Myself ive just started 12% h202 with very old seeds i was struggling to sprout, i added 2ml to a pint of water soaked a seed for 10 to 12 hours before removing it and rinsing under tap and then i put it between a damp kitchen towel in a container and finally in a kitchen cupboard it was full sprouted within 4 days and out of it`s shell altogether, pretty snazzy i thought for first terst but i shall be doing this with all my beanz from now on.

Thank you. I'm doing a similar approach. Soak in H2O2. 1ml of 6% H2O2 to 100ml water. I soak for around 3-4 hours.

Then soak in about 75ppm of Seaweed and humic/fulvic acid. Both in powder form. Just a pinch of each in a cup of water. Soak for around 8-9 hours.

Final soak is with 125ppm GA3 solution. I bought cheap 10% GA3 soluble tablets and slowly disolve it in RO water until it reaches 125ppm. I honestly have no idea if this is 125ppm or 12.5ppm due to the 10% GA3. I soak for around 12 hours.

This gives it around 24 hours of total soak time. I then transfer it to paper towels.

I got a better germination rate. I started off with 1 out of 10. Using the method above, I managed 3 out of 4. I have just germed another 8 beans and already have 3 showing tail. I planted them but it's a success only if they break ground. Still waiting on the other 5. I hope to get another 3 out of them.
I don`t think you need to go that ott, in fact if GA3 is gibberellins/gibberelic acid then to be fair i wouldn`t touch that stuff with a barge pole unless i wanted to make fem beanz, go overboard with it and you`ll end up with hermie`s or males.

FX
Known User

Post by FX »

Damn, this is all interesting stuff I'm learning today!
I just popped some seeds into some old potting compost in a cheap little propogater and popped it on my kitchen windowsill lol
“Although I am a typical loner in daily life, my consciousness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice has preserved me from feeling isolated.” - Albert Einstein

GrowGlow

Post by GrowGlow »

2-Scoops wrote:
GrowGlow wrote:

I don`t think you need to go that ott, in fact if GA3 is gibberellins/gibberelic acid then to be fair i wouldn`t touch that stuff with a barge pole unless i wanted to make fem beanz, go overboard with it and you`ll end up with hermie`s or males.
Valid point. Although I'm more worried about using too little in my case.

Some have sprouted but die off without showing true leaves. Some won't even form cotyledons. Its an indication that these beans are no longer viable or simply have too little energy left to sprout properly.

I just soaked 10 more beans. After trying with about two dozen seeds, I am now in the opinion that if they don't show tail in 48 hours, they probably won't at all. This latest soak will only be with H2O2 and then straight to paper towels. Will see how they do?

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

GrowGlow wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:48 am
2-Scoops wrote:
GrowGlow wrote:

Some have sprouted but die off without showing true leaves. Some won't even form cotyledons. Its an indication that these beans are no longer viable or simply have too little energy left to sprout properly.

I just soaked 10 more beans. After trying with about two dozen seeds, I am now in the opinion that if they don't show tail in 48 hours, they probably won't at all. This latest soak will only be with H2O2 and then straight to paper towels. Will see how they do?
Ive done a bit of reading on seeds in general and some can take months to crack but still are viable seeds.

As said it took 4 to 5 days for seed to crack and it was totally out of it`s shell using 2ml per pint of 12% h202. But be patient and dont faff around too much, i do=idnt even check them for at least 3 days you know shits not working so maybe let them be i`d say to do their thing. :)

GrowGlow

Post by GrowGlow »

2-Scoops wrote:
GrowGlow wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:48 am
2-Scoops wrote: I don`t think you need to go that ott, in fact if GA3 is gibberellins/gibberelic acid then to be fair i wouldn`t touch that stuff with a barge pole unless i wanted to make fem beanz, go overboard with it and you`ll end up with hermie`s or males.

Ive done a bit of reading on seeds in general and some can take months to crack but still are viable seeds.

As said it took 4 to 5 days for seed to crack and it was totally out of it`s shell using 2ml per pint of 12% h202. But be patient and dont faff around too much, i do=idnt even check them for at least 3 days you know shits not working so maybe let them be i`d say to do their thing. :)
None of mine have cracked since 12-13 days ago. I'm thinking of tossing those that have not cracked at the 14 day Mark.

You use 2ml 12% H2O2 in about 475ml of water. I use 2ml 6% H2O2 in 200ml RO water. Works out to pretty much the same amount.

Do you leave them soaking until they crack, for the whole 4-5 days?

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”