Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Which strain should everyone have grown/tried once in their lifetime?

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
weedabix

Which strain should everyone have grown/tried once in their lifetime?

Post by weedabix »

Hi,
in prohibition it's usually difficult to get a choice that goes beyond 1 baggy or 3 baggies. One reason I started growing is the variety of strains with the different effects flavours and other properties. The first time I tried choosing a strain I was so overwhelmed, I bought tons and I am not sure I bought the right ones. So in your opinion (and I know it's a very subjective topic) what are the strains one should try?
I'm not after the best strains (because that is even more subjective) - I'm rather after the strains that define cannabis as a whole! E.g. it seems like it's a must to try something like a Northern Lights because it's been such a go-to strain for a long time but then I also think something like a Durban Poison should be in there and a cookie (because it's so popular - there must be a reason!)
So my list (by no means extensive) is:
- Northern Lights
- Durban Poison
- Blueberry (I did Blue Dream instead - I know not the same but maybe in a similar category?)
- Something Purple
- Something Cookie
- Something Kushy
- Something Cheesy
- Something Skunky

You see where this is going? So taste apart: What are the most iconic strains, the most defining effects and flavours, the most educational grows, the most historically significant strains?

And to take it further - is this even possible from seeds or is the difference in chemo- pheno- and genotypes so huge that buying (or winning ;-)) these seeds doesn't make any difference?

Sorry for this long winded question - I'm curious what you think and hope you understand what I am getting at!
These users thanked the author weedabix for the post (total 4):
Nom (Fri May 01, 2020 4:54 pm) • Minty (Fri May 01, 2020 5:08 pm) • Bulls (Fri May 01, 2020 6:29 pm) • Elijah Growz (Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:32 pm)

Nom
Known User

Re: Which strain should everyone have grown/tried once in their lifetime?

Post by Nom »

Proper luton cut cheese from clone
Everything I've done with glue in it I've liked so gorilla glue.
Finally a long long time ago in the past in a galaxy far far away me and a mate got an 8th of something we were told was called white wizard, never have I had such a strong narcotic smoke, half a joint between four people proper face melting wrecks. None of us have had anything like it since. We use to smoke alot more back then aswel. Something in the back of my mind tells me the breeder was world of seeds, but I dont know why I think that. So if you can find it white wizard.
These users thanked the author Nom for the post (total 2):
Minty (Fri May 01, 2020 5:08 pm) • weedabix (Fri May 01, 2020 5:13 pm)

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

I'd say the strains I'd keep forever now is exodus cheese, chiesel and agent orange. I'd like to grow Northern lights myself and try it.
These users thanked the author Bulls for the post (total 2):
weedabix (Fri May 01, 2020 7:08 pm) • ShabbyOrange (Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:56 pm)

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

the absolute best strain i ever smoked was grown by a genuine old hippy, bred by himself over about 15 years, and he called it wizards beard. He wouldnt tell me what it was strain wise, i dont think he could remember to be honest, but id guess there was either original white rhino or widow crossed with something fruity, but every time i asked him about it he would just say - it doesnt matter, and "no" he wasnt giving me a cutting, so much for the peace and sharing - git...
it was honestly white with trichs, grown organically, by an expert level grower, and it was sublime....

but yes strains that define cannabis
skunk #1 - sensi
jack herer-sensi
critical-sensi
AK47 - serious
cheese- luton, exodus or psychosis cut
blueberry- dj short
sour diesel- soma seeds - but hermie prone
ak47-serious
afghan#1-sensi
white widow - sensi
NL#5 - sensi

there are loads more, but if you look at these above, there are very few modern strains that don't owe something to them either direcly or not.
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post (total 4):
greenfunk (Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:40 pm) • TTL (Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:41 pm) • weedabix (Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:04 pm) • ShabbyOrange (Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:56 pm)

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

Great post watching with interest unfortunately I don’t have a list to offer as I’m new to growing but thanks for starting this thread 👍
These users thanked the author IMO for the post:
weedabix (Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:03 pm)

TTL
Known User

Post by TTL »

Already a bunch of great ones listed in here. Of strains not already mentioned I remember these strains being big throughout the years and they’re some of my favorites: tangerine dream (Barney’s), sweet tooth (Barney’s), LA confidential (DNA), G13 haze (Barney’s), chocolope (DNA), SFV OG kush (Cali Connection), and bubblegum (Serious). Also, I’m super interested in trying the C99 crosses from Brothers Grimm. I loved C99 back in the day.
These users thanked the author TTL for the post:

Mafooo
Known User

Post by Mafooo »

Alreayd got a lot of good answers here weedabix

I do like me some bubba kush and the one strain that I have had that was so white with trichomes it was like powdered sugar that strain was called Gods Hands. Lord knows which breeder or seed shop that was from.
These users thanked the author Mafooo for the post:

flip
Known User

Post by flip »

I've smoked so much street weed in my life I can never be sure what I've been inhaling!
These users thanked the author flip for the post (total 2):
weedabix (Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:02 pm) • MrBill (Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:13 am)
I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing

weedabix

Post by weedabix »

flipmonjig wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:48 pm
I've smoked so much street weed in my life I can never be sure what I've been inhaling!
exactly my dilemma! I don't know where to start! I know those flavours and especially effects from certain moments in my life - but none of it had a name!
These users thanked the author weedabix for the post:
Greenfingers (Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:07 pm)

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

I like my skunks or anything cut with a proper skunk atm my favourite smoke from my stock plants is me livers

Great Googly Moogly

These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post (total 2):
Greenfingers (Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:07 pm) • weedabix (Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:15 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”