Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

THe BEST lighting for bud quality.

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Invisible Sun

Re: THe BEST lighting for bud quality.

Post by Invisible Sun »

hi viz, im gonna keep it data based and give you a comparison of cmh - our 265 type r, youll be able to see the over lay of the 2 spectrums and actually see what youre getting from mixing or not.

hope it helps

great thread btwImage

These users thanked the author Invisible Sun for the post (total 4):
The Aspie Toker (Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:40 am) • Not about (Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:06 am) • GMO (Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:37 am) • Marcus (Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:05 pm)
For further information on our products please visit our website www.invisiblesunled.co.uk

Breeders Collective   Barney's Farm
Invisible Sun

Post by Invisible Sun »

cdm /cmh have some uv and far red in, not much mind but some of each, I would assume that's why they are liked by many as it provides a broader spectrum. Surpassed now though my pretty much all white light leds, from all brands. So maybe getting to that stage where they may become pointless.

anecdotally iv never had such good quality bud as I do now, iv grown the same strain before many times and its better than ever, this time it was done under a type r board. ill know more after the next run
These users thanked the author Invisible Sun for the post (total 2):
The Aspie Toker (Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:49 am) • Not about (Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:02 pm)

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

I'm not a very good grower I know that and its not through lack of trying, it's that I'm just inexperienced. The best weed I've smoked was decades ago and done outside by a bunch of local travellars up in the hills of my home town. The one thing that I have done in the past year that made the biggest difference to my quality was too change from hps to led, and in the space I grow I know that I'm borderline just about having enough output for my area. But the difference in quality between the two was deffinately noticeable in every way, although the yield is a bit less (3 zips split across 4 plants difference) but the shit I have actually grown gets me baked now for a longer duration and when i added the far red leds it got better again especially in appearance. The point being a total noob found it much easier to produce a better smoke just by using led instead of hps alone with all other variables the same, so there has to be something in it. I've not tried cdm though, and tbh im not going to bother unless i get one for free to try and if i did i would combo it with the leds. I've been looking more at just adding a bit of uv, the futures bright and at the moment its white (with a bit of far red)
These users thanked the author Nom for the post:
Not about (Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:39 am)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

So what does the a broader spec lighting bring to table over a hps light and a bit of added UVB towards end of bloom ?. Not in cash/leccy saving or anythjng like those terms but in a better bigger stronger buddage terms. Is the weed stronger grown under an LED or CDM in comparison to a HPS ? Cus from my own very little experience of LED running same wattage (wall pull) as a 600hps and using cree cobs and some 5watt purps leds in the mix it certainly didn`t compare in a big fat buddage terms or weight come chop in comparison to me using a 600 hps running same cloned i think it was strawberry banana grown in same room afterwards and i can`t say i noticed any difference in strength or a big taste difference, fucked up old tastebuds maybe. Or was i was doing summink wrong and tbh ive only done about 3 or 4 grows with those LED, bare in mind i tend to grow doing a wee bit of supercropping and i lollipop a few weeks into bloom :thanks:

Suppose it`s same question Viz is asking or is it, i just don`t know :idn: If it is or isn`t soz for clog hopping thread Viz. :oik!:

"But your still looking at me that same damn way............ Like i just shit in your scrambled eggs" > Negan, Walking Dead
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Not about (Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:21 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

from what i can gather from all the guys doing light research atm

light spectrum is very important up until 2-3 weeks into flower to establish plant structure. but majority of research still says intensity equals density

The real way to look at flowering potential is to check ppd for the area. exceeding 500-700 ppf per square meter can cause light stress which plants dont give sign of issue for. there fore an average ppd or 65umol per square foot. This is working on the assumption that the other 8 growing factors are within atmospheric ambient.

Base lighting, Mc Cree Par and first stage metabolism are currently believed to be related to different ratios of blue and deep red spectrum which form the basis for plant structure and rates of photosynthesis. But also that UV-b in short daily doses as little as 2-15 minute cycles has been shown to increase secondary metabolites in Hemp/CBD production

Dare i say, that all these factors may well be directly related to your cultivars and that any notion of best lighting needs to be specifically related to a stage of a plants life cycle and cultivar dependent
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
Not about (Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:03 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Viz wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:24 pm
Jimmi that is exactly the thing. I have grown with four different lights now, and honestly the only difference I can see is as GMO noted the veg part of the process the CDMs excel. Now what that does is mean I have fucking huge and very strong healthy plants. That gives me a great harvest every time. Nan has grown with CDM, think Bulls may have to, anyhow Nan and I got very resin heavy plants. But I know it can be improved, and I want to improve my growing and the quality of the bud. So mate you clog up my thread as much as you like you ask good questions and I am more than happy for you to keep asking good questions.
So your prolly not one for this, but you know you can send a little bud of to @dnasupplies via instagram and get its credentials (thc and such like) for £15 a test i think it costs. Maybe an idea doing this with same plant over 12months with different lighting ? Theirs a UK guy called Ginge on another site we use thats had it done by them. :)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Viz wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:02 pm
Now that is a killer idea. Clog on brother.
I would be very interested to see it done over whatever time it takes with a clone and different light specs, hps, dual spec hps, led, cdm or whatever else you can think of for the mix. And you just no its not gonna be flannel if someone does it you can trust not to pull a swerve on jobby.

So moving on do you think you may get on it @Viz

:thanks:

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

I get better results using dual spectrum hps over red spec in bloom but still use both, nowadays i tend to swap out red towards end of bloom for dual spec bulb. But buddage always seems bigger although i couldn`t tell you rest it all tastes same and does same jobby just more bud dual spec.

But yes keep us informed about it Viz.

Top man. :)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”