Portable DIY Solar Design Ideas

This is a area for non canna hobbies and interests to be discussed.
GMO
GR420 Leg End

Portable DIY Solar Design Ideas

Post by GMO »

Hello Growtribe

So with the potential soaring prices of energy, i thought it would be a good time to get the hive mind ticking over the idea of building semi mobile solar power stations.

Ive been toying with this idea for a short while but it dawned on me that my previous math of the topic had been flawed. So ill start by listing some basic concepts before diving into possible build ideas

Firstly tho, this is specifically to semi mobile/ portable power systems. Ill make another thread for home systems depending how popular this discussion becomes

Where I had previously did the math based from the panel size ie 100w minus about 10% would produce 90w of power per day, but this is completely wrong. the panel rating should produce about 5 times the listed figures due to the fact that the figure is based on a per hour basis and that most areas around the world get about 5 hours of direct sunlight. To reiterate, a 100w panel running at 90% efficiency times 5 hours should produce around 450w per day. Not so shabby for just a small build

So there are already alot of great resources for the information and i have been leaning heavily on a gent on youtube called "Will Prowse" https://www.youtube.com/c/WillProwse . However as this gent is US based the tech reviewed and shown isnt fully applicable to UK or EU but the theory is all soild

So the basic Solar power setup would include;
-Solar panels.
-A solar charge controller.
-A battery.
-Inverter
-Wiring and connectors.

There is also the option of ready made portable solar generators like the jackery, beauden, eco flow, allpower and poweroak. these are a single unit containing a charge controller, inverter, battery and various connection. All you need is to choose the right size unit for your purpose and then match solar panels. For most of us the smaller affordable units wouldnt be much use for running a grow space unless it was a very low powered and or a small veg space. the large blueyeti units are close but probably still fall slightly short and for the money DIY will likely provide more bang for your buck

then there is the option of a kit system such as EcoWorthy offer https://uk.eco-worthy.com/collections/o ... solar-kits This option really appeals to me as it appears easily expandable but still fairly mobile if you wish

While i do now see alot of potential to both types of system, i do believe with the hive mind we have here we can likely brainstorm some pretty impressive systems with atleast a notable saving on the retail prices. Personally i was looking to start with a small powerstation type unit for running some home light and charging phones, laptops and rechargeable batteries with a system like this obviously this unit isnt going to be expandable but could be a starting point to start grasping the basics, but for the price its likely worth while putting in a little time into research as i feel this kind of unit will quickly become obsolete being such low powered

As this is planned as an open discussion thread, ill add more information as i find it and would hope to see some spit balling going on below. I understand there are going to be many different levels of budget and planned investment, however ill personally be looking for the lowest price point for a functional system for my own requirements. conservatively i hope to start running some home lighting and do some light charging of devices firstly, with the intent to have a couple different systems to fit requirements ie a larger system for running veg lights

look forward to everyone inputs :viking:
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 5):
Herbalist (Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:33 am) • Bulls (Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:36 am) • Guest (Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:07 pm) • Keeno (Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:25 pm) • Wardrobe Farming (Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:01 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Re: Portable DIY Solar Design Ideas

Post by Guest »

I looked into this once for sublimental lighting at night time, in the greenhouse.
This was a few years back so it'll be good to see what is about.

I reckon a half decent electrical design engineer or close would easily come up with something with parts from somewhere like RS Components etc.... they supply this sort of thing.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 2):
GMO (Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:21 pm) • Keeno (Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:26 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:09 pm
I looked into this once for sublimental lighting at night time, in the greenhouse.
This was a few years back so it'll be good to see what is about.

I reckon a half decent electrical design engineer or close would easily come up with something with parts from somewhere like RS Components etc.... they supply this sort of thing.
Just took a quick look and RS components looks a little more expensive but will compare more when on laptop

Design is super simple tho really unless your using static array panels that you need diodes to control, but then most the larger panels come with these diodes already on the panels iirc.
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:26 pm) • Guest (Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:26 pm)

Post by Guest »

Just took a quick look and RS components looks a little more expensive but will compare more when on laptop

Design is super simple tho really unless your using static array panels that you need diodes to control, but then most the larger panels come with these diodes already on the panels iirc.
Yes I agree, they are pricey but good for finding part numbers and or a good idea what to search for.

Yeah wouldn't want to burn the place down either. Maybe what the diodes are for to keep it safe from capacitating too much current in one place. Not sure how it it would work.

Maybe just raid one of those fields. I seen one driving the other day :lol:
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
GMO (Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:47 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:31 pm

Yes I agree, they are pricey but good for finding part numbers and or a good idea what to search for.

Yeah wouldn't want to burn the place down either. Maybe what the diodes are for to keep it safe from capacitating too much current in one place. Not sure how it it would work.

Maybe just raid one of those fields. I seen one driving the other day :lol:
It's really similar to specing out an led light. The panels have a max wattage and a fairly set voltage. You just need pair the correct voltage to charge controller which is able to handle the max current. As we know the max watt and average voltage it's just about putting the right controller to handle the current which then to either direct power devices or to charge storage batteries
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
Guest (Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:33 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Diodes are generally used to limit current but they also get used when you have split arrays. Stops the power flowing from a bright area across a dark panel ie dropping the useable power out put

translated from the bongo of the canna jungle

Guest (Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:34 pm)

Post by Guest »

It would just work in the opposite way with a solar panel then.
I'd love to see any invention of yours :lol:

We could all do with saving some power.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
GMO (Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:38 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:35 pm
It would just work in the opposite way with a solar panel then.
I'd love to see any invention of yours :lol:

We could all do with saving some power.
Yeah man, literally the reverse of specing out an led lamp

I'm fully skint atm, but in the planning stages for when I can start buying bits. Will for sure be updating as I progress and see what other peoples thoughts are along the way

It seems like most people who own their home would be much better investing in a home system. I'm kinda headed down the "van life" style systems path atm
Guest (Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:23 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Sorry to possibly sidetrack...

Thing is with electrickery prices, our kw/h price has gone up by 5p... The standing daily charge has doubled though, so we've still got to pay that daily charge, no way out of it.
PV just doesn't seem to be cost effective unless the government are slinging money at you to get it installed.

Even these small portable units are going to cost a fair bit just to charge your phone, when it's going to be pence over the months to do it off the grid.

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2014/ ... y-worth-it

"For example, an average-sized home with a 4kW solar panel system will spend approximately £6,000 - £8,000 on the system. You can expect to save roughly £270 on electricity bills annually, and together with the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG), you would reach the break-even point within 16-22 years."

So where I seen someone saying they'll pay it off in 3 years on the other thread ... I can't see how. :idn:

:rain:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 3):
Guest (Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:24 pm) • GMO (Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:49 pm) • Wardrobe Farming (Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:02 pm)

Treetrunk
Respected Member

Post by Treetrunk »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:08 pm
Sorry to possibly sidetrack...

Thing is with electrickery prices, our kw/h price has gone up by 5p... The standing daily charge has doubled though, so we've still got to pay that daily charge, no way out of it.
PV just doesn't seem to be cost effective unless the government are slinging money at you to get it installed.

Even these small portable units are going to cost a fair bit just to charge your phone, when it's going to be pence over the months to do it off the grid.

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2014/ ... y-worth-it

"For example, an average-sized home with a 4kW solar panel system will spend approximately £6,000 - £8,000 on the system. You can expect to save roughly £270 on electricity bills annually, and together with the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG), you would reach the break-even point within 16-22 years."

So where I seen someone saying they'll pay it off in 3 years on the other thread ... I can't see how. :idn:

:rain:
I agree mate. I had a look at the energy trust calculator. Same sort of results. £300 per year saving.
The only way is to be totally independent. Solar,fire,diesel or whatever. That standing charge thing is a piss take. I'm smashing the fronts of sealed up fireplaces this week :rock:
Get on the beach after a storm and stock up on drift wood.
These users thanked the author Treetrunk for the post (total 3):
Marcus (Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:45 pm) • GMO (Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:49 pm) • Wardrobe Farming (Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:02 pm)

Return to “Non Canna Realated Hobbies And Interests”