Climate and Decarbonisation

This is a area for non canna hobbies and interests to be discussed.
RB1

Climate and Decarbonisation

Post by RB1 »

I thought i would start this thread to track and discuss the positive transition towards a healthier Planet over the coming years. might not be one for climate change deniers...

Opening with the history of oil...

The End of Oil, Explained

RB1

Re: Climate and Decarbonisation

Post by RB1 »

KD
Known User

Post by KD »

Apparently it's too late for humanity because the oceans and rivers have started a microbe bloom that was last seen during the last mass extinction event. Hopefully its a load of shit but the last one was caused by volcanic events. This one is caused by us but there's a lot of volcanoes kicking off too at the moment.

Again... Its on the Internet where I read this so take with a pinch of salt. I always thought it was a meteorite that killed the dinos but who actually really knows?
These users thanked the author KD for the post (total 2):
RB1 (Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:03 pm) • Guest (Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:53 pm)

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

Lake erie gets the green slime ,nitrogen runoff,,it goes away but don't touch it
These users thanked the author JJ for the post (total 2):
KD (Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:16 am) • RB1 (Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:11 pm)

KD
Known User

Post by KD »

JJ wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:47 am
Lake erie gets the green slime ,nitrogen runoff,,it goes away but don't touch it
Yeah that's the stuff I think. Apparently it's getting more common with all the cattle waste seeping into waterways these days among other reasons.
These users thanked the author KD for the post (total 2):
RB1 (Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:11 pm) • Guest (Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:53 pm)

RB1

Post by RB1 »

A lot to do with fertilizer run off i think. The biggest risk we face is the perma frost IMO. Once that really starts to melt we'll be buggered. We wont die out thats for sure but our modern day life will come to an end... as for the earth it can take it no problem, if you look at the fossil record it paints a picture of an ever changing world... where the Sahara is green and there's palm trees on the pole's... the question is can we keep up. Regardless of our impact on the earth, she's taken a lot more before and will again, that is for about another 900my to 1.2by until our star expands and we cook like Venus. The futures bright, very bright.
These users thanked the author RB1 for the post:
KD (Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:46 pm)

RB1

Post by RB1 »

A great little watch here....

"Coal fired power plants are one of the biggest causes of the catastrophic climate crisis now facing our civilization and over the coming years thousands of gigawatts of coal power capacity will be retired all over the industrialised west. But what about all the jobs and livelihoods of the families who live and work in those communities? Now, one company plans to replace the coal burners in those disused plants with an energy storage system that can not only provide useful grid balancing power using the same infrastructure, but also bring gainful employment back to hard working people."

New energy storage tech breathing life and jobs back into disused coal power plants

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edVjYofLYc4&t=11s[/youtube]
These users thanked the author RB1 for the post (total 3):
KD (Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:41 pm) • GHO (Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:44 pm) • 2-Scoops (Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:47 pm)

RB1

Post by RB1 »

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

RB1 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:40 pm
"Coal fired power plants are one of the biggest causes of the catastrophic climate crisis now facing our civilization and over the coming years thousands of gigawatts of coal power capacity will be retired all over the industrialised west. But what about all the jobs and livelihoods of the families who live and work in those communities?
Well theirs hardly any coal fired power stations in UK anymore, i think Drax is one of last few and the biggest of them all, but it uses what they coal "clean coal/power" or summink like that. But yes all those families who worked them got transferred over to the newer gas fired power stations or most did. I worked on older coal fired stations for years till they became defunk, man those were mucky horrible places, crawling around in dead space above the boilers, that was hot as the Sun
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

RB1

Post by RB1 »

Yep the hole industry is dirty coal and oil. Could you imagine now if we was as reliant still, like India and china with over 70% of the grid running of coal.

I think now its the job of the developed world to hurry up and figure this stuff out to show and help the rest of the developing world... If we only think of our selves here it wont matter what we do unless the rest of the world follows after. Its happening though the question is will it be fast enough.
These users thanked the author RB1 for the post:
2-Scoops (Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:35 pm)

Return to “Non Canna Realated Hobbies And Interests”