what do you drive?

This is a area for non canna hobbies and interests to be discussed.

Re: what do you drive?

Post by Guest »

Herbalist wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:16 pm
Just a hobbiest. I like to do things myself if possible. I'd rather break it in an attempt to fix it than send it off for someone else to do. Luckily me dad is mechanic and M.O.T tester which comes in handy.
Cool 😎

I do my own and Mrs Car now. Its just silly expensive these days and you can't trust everyone unfortunately. I've found the main dealerships worst for price, it's mental.

I can do it all for cost which is hardly nothing and I enjoy it.
Need to do my wheel bearings soon, sloppy handling and brakes are soft, scored and uneven.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 2):
duke (Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:04 pm) • Herbalist (Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:49 am)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

duke
Respected Member

Post by duke »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:57 pm
Herbalist wrote:
Just a hobbiest. I like to do things myself if possible. I'd rather break it in an attempt to fix it than send it off for someone else to do. Luckily me dad is mechanic and M.O.T tester which comes in handy.
Cool 😎

I do my own and Mrs Car now. Its just silly expensive these days and you can't trust everyone unfortunately. I've found the main dealerships worst for price, it's mental.

Need to do my wheel bearings soon, sloppy handling and brakes are soft, scored and uneven.
hi with you on garage costs,im lucky i have the knowledge but unlucky as only having one good working hand now makes many jobs near impossible though its surprising what you can manage with ratchet straps.clamps,lever bars etc though sometimes it gets a bit hazardous as when using a hammer or similar my hand randomly decides to let go of it mid swing!people who know me will not stand close!
but i can still do 90% of jobs myself and have restored my volvo 850 over the last 2.5 years,spent 3 full long days struggling with one nut and bolt holding the lower balljoint all to replace the 50p rubber boot,never seen a more rounded off and siezed solid bolt in my 40 odd yrs as a mechanic and ive restored some real horrors over them years!
today for example i found out why my steering column was squeaking and steering heavier than it should be,it seems the insulation on the cover panel for the steering column has come unglued and the split pin that secures the steering knuckle uj had hooked the insulation as steering turned the insulation got dragged inside the bearing.
took me an hour to get it undone cleaned and greased and some spray glue ensured the same is not repeated,cost about £1.50p about £100 cheaper than a garage!mon the menders i say,peace and happy motoring all and thanks for sharing your rides various keep them coming! :thx:
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 2):
Herbalist (Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:49 am) • Guest (Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:29 am)
sussex pet rescue fundraiser https://sussexpetrescue.org
help rescued dogs by donating for good karma and because its nice to give, :thanks:
link to diary viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7385

Herbalist
Bud Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by Herbalist »

Totally agree on garage prices. Bloody extortion. I have to do a power steering pump on my lexus, £55 trade price and a couple hours of my time vs £350 for the garage to do it. I remade my brake lines a couple weeks ago because offside rear was leaking so decided to do all 4 corners. Total cost £47 for a roll of copper pipe, fittings and a cheap pipe bender, heaven knows what a garage wouldve charged me. Handbrake cable needs replacing too, not looking forward to laying on my pea shingle drive to do that.
These users thanked the author Herbalist for the post:
Guest (Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:31 am)
Making plans with a stoner is like being with a prostitute. They tell you they’re coming, but you know it’s a lie.

Post by Guest »

duke wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:15 pm
DIY.Rik wrote:
Herbalist wrote:
Cool 😎

hi with you on garage costs,im lucky i have the knowledge but unlucky as only having one good working hand now makes many jobs near impossible though its surprising what you can manage with ratchet straps.clamps,lever bars etc though sometimes it gets a bit hazardous as when using a hammer or similar my hand randomly decides to let go of it mid swing!people who know me will not stand close!
but i can still do 90% of jobs myself and have restored my volvo 850 over the last 2.5 years,spent 3 full long days struggling with one nut and bolt holding the lower balljoint all to replace the 50p rubber boot,never seen a more rounded off and siezed solid bolt in my 40 odd yrs as a mechanic and ive restored some real horrors over them years!
today for example i found out why my steering column was squeaking and steering heavier than it should be,it seems the insulation on the cover panel for the steering column has come unglued and the split pin that secures the steering knuckle uj had hooked the insulation as steering turned the insulation got dragged inside the bearing.
took me an hour to get it undone cleaned and greased and some spray glue ensured the same is not repeated,cost about £1.50p about £100 cheaper than a garage!mon the menders i say,peace and happy motoring all and thanks for sharing your rides various keep them coming! :thx:
What up with you again?

I got Carpe Tunnel and epicondilitis in both arms. Shite isn't it! I'm having a career change and that is one of the reasons.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
duke (Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:55 am)

Post by Guest »

duke wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:15 pm
DIY.Rik wrote:
Herbalist wrote:
Cool 😎

Are you on any mechanics forums....?
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
duke (Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:55 am)

duke
Respected Member

Post by duke »

put 25ltrs of petrol in and gave them half a weeks pay! :evil: :lol: got to laugh or id cry.
for the first time in years ive a car i want to drive and now its down to essential journeys only,gone are the days of just going for a spin.
bugger you vlad. :!: :cry:
how bad can it get i wonder,,,,,,,,, :idn: :surrender:
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 2):
Guest (Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:47 pm) • Mrs Beefheart (Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:48 pm)

Post by Guest »

duke wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:40 pm
put 25ltrs of petrol in and gave them half a weeks pay! :evil: :lol: got to laugh or id cry.
for the first time in years ive a car i want to drive and now its down to essential journeys only,gone are the days of just going for a spin.
bugger you vlad. :!: :cry:
how bad can it get i wonder,,,,,,,,, :idn: :surrender:
I've started looking how to make bio fuel and started a business relationship with my local chip shops :idn:
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 2):
duke (Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:38 pm) • Treetrunk (Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:18 pm)

Everydaze420

Post by Everydaze420 »

The old girl past here MOT yesterday 😁 As she is gonna be on the road for another 12 months. Think I might get round to removing the egr valve, possible decat, remap & modify the gear linkage for a shorter throw. She's been standard for far too long.

These users thanked the author Everydaze420 for the post (total 4):
duke (Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:38 pm) • Herbalist (Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:47 pm) • Treetrunk (Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:16 pm) • Guest (Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:48 pm)
:roll:

Herbalist
Bud Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by Herbalist »

Everydaze420 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:46 pm
The old girl past here MOT yesterday 😁 As she is gonna be on the road for another 12 months. Think I might get round to removing the egr valve, possible decat, remap & modify the gear linkage for a shorter throw. She's been standard for far too long.

If you're serious about modifying it, i have a couple bits of advice. 1st mods should be wheels, tyres and suspension before adding power, you'll be amazed at the difference decent wheels and tyres make on their own. After that, ADD BOOST!, de-cat (keep your cat for M.O.T unless you know a guy 😉) have fun emptying your bank account 🤣
These users thanked the author Herbalist for the post (total 2):
Guest (Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:48 pm) • Mrs Beefheart (Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:49 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

I drive people insane these days.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
duke (Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:13 pm) • Herbalist (Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:31 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Return to “Non Canna Realated Hobbies And Interests”