what do you drive?

This is a area for non canna hobbies and interests to be discussed.
duke
Respected Member

what do you drive?

Post by duke »

hi all some of you may recall i am a retired mechanic due to a motorbike accident involving a 4x4 and broke both arms and shattered the bones in my right hand since then mechanics has as you can imagine been a struggle!
but during the first lockdown my old peugeot 406 died a spectacular death after a cooling hose a metal one burst in the middle of southend town centre :bang head: i attempted a roadside repair and as i had the daughter and sprogs in the car ijust had to get them back to my house in sussex and so had to ignore the billowing steam and temp gauge off the scale,stopped several times and refilled but leak by now is massive,all manner of horrid noises coming from the engine but within 10 miles of home and not stopping! shortly after the servo died for the brakes so now im down to just the handbrake for last 5 miles all through the town centre,got to my house and stopped and engine siezed solid and was truly deceased!
so now ive the kids here for a week and no car to go out or take them home,so had to find another cheap car quickly that was legal,not easy done here as the locals seem to think there cars are worth twice there actual value :ak:
ended up bidding on an old 1994 volvo 850 estate with 5 cylinder twin cam 10valve engine 2.5ltr 154000 miles on the clock (this is nothing for a volvo) no service history and some more obvious faults like rear lights and headlamps etc being worn out and faded,awful paintwork with laquer peeling and general lack of maintenance.
paid £600 for it and since then i been restoring it,
fitted 2nd hand rear lights for £40 from breakers and from slightly more modern volvo v70 and have better lenses,removed and reconditioned headlamps myself now perfect cost about £10 :clap:
had lots of catchup new waterpump timing belt,radiator and heater matrix,spent 3 full long hot days trying to remove one stubborn rusty rounded out bolt just to change a poxy £1 rubber boot! :bang head:
but now after about 18 months work and maybe £1000 in parts i now have a lovely car that passed mot last year with zero notes or defects not bad for a near 30 yr old volvoImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
next week shes due mot again and only done about 3k since last one so better pass!
so thats my wheels well the mechanical one along with now 5 electric powerchairs,see why i need an estate!i have diyed a set of ramps that fit on the roofbars i made and have a rhino electric winch for pulling the chairs up ramp safely,had to fit new rear bumper brackets though as chairs are awful heavy and it sagged a bit!
anyhow any petrolheads like to share? and what do we think of the e10 petrol fiasco/fake green shit?
show us your wheels but not the numberplates! :lol: peace all
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 9):
flip (Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:12 pm) • FX (Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:12 pm) • Marcus (Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:45 pm) • Mrs Beefheart (Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:54 pm) • Stickylemonz (Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:50 pm) • IMO (Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:28 pm) • Wayne36 (Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:57 pm) • Josh (Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:53 am) • Ash (Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:53 am)
sussex pet rescue fundraiser https://sussexpetrescue.org
help rescued dogs by donating for good karma and because its nice to give, :thanks:
link to diary viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7385

duke
Respected Member

Re: what do you drive?

Post by duke »

also just to say if anyone needs advice on mechanical problems feel free to ask and if i can help i will,my hands might be fecked but my brain still sort of works and i can mend nearly anything,peace all :thanks:
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 8):
MrNice (Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:29 pm) • Mrs Beefheart (Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:54 pm) • Stickylemonz (Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:48 pm) • IMO (Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:28 pm) • Treetrunk (Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:59 pm) • wutang (Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:52 am) • Ash (Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:54 am) • Guest (Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:14 pm)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Duke wats your thoughts on E10 petrol and older cars.....got an old golf 06 plate not worth having a new car where i live get nicked scratched etc you get the idea

Thanks

mn
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post:
duke (Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:13 pm)

duke
Respected Member

Post by duke »

MrNice wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:32 pm
Duke wats your thoughts on E10 petrol and older cars.....got an old golf 06 plate not worth having a new car where i live get nicked scratched etc you get the idea

Thanks

mn
hi mr nice imo its another fake bit of green bullshit and just like when they stole our leaded petrol away without true thought to the consequences and at that time i worked in a car spares shop so got to see some of the damaged engines which folk where told could run on unleaded and ended up fecked with burned out valve seats and even holes in pistons,now this green fakery (made from maize or similar grain normally used for food) though they tell you its green waste thats only part truth as only around 5% is waste rest used to be animal food and has a cost to produce inc pesticides and fossil fuels all to try and look greener and like they care for environment :bang head:
so i expect longterm it will likely kill many older cars,exactly what the government/green brigade want,dont get me started on electric cars electrickery if ive ever seen it,again not really green or sustaiable like they claim besides being god knows how much money theres so many negative points,short range,lack of charging points,expensive repairs esp batteries.
and it creates 10x more pollution building 1 electric car and powerpack than my petrol engined dino fuel beast produces in 10 years of use.
at the end of its life my car can be recycled mostly,electric cars esp batteries have no safe disposal method nor are they recyclable yet,so wheres the green bit? only in the poor green folk they trick into buying them! :lol:
as to the golf i think you should be ok most vws after 1990 run e10 without problems as they have hardened valve seats,im lucky as all volvos since 1976 can run on e10 but still will use superunleaded 97 ron while i can still buy it,after that i shall add 500ml of aviation fuel to my full tank of e10,vvvrrroooommm!!!!!
you can check here if your car can use e10,if you believe them,,
https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol
cheers
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 2):
MrNice (Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:03 pm) • Treetrunk (Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:01 pm)

Mrs Beefheart
Respected Member

Post by Mrs Beefheart »

duke wrote:also just to say if anyone needs advice on mechanical problems feel free to ask and if i can help i will,my hands might be fecked but my brain still sort of works and i can mend nearly anything,peace all :thanks:
That’s real nice of you Duke thank u
These users thanked the author Mrs Beefheart for the post (total 2):
duke (Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:24 pm) • IMO (Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:28 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Nice one Duke!

I miss my old 850 auto. Was bombproof.

My daily driver is a girls bike now.

:oik!:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 7):
GHO (Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:16 pm) • duke (Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:23 pm) • IMO (Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:28 pm) • flip (Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:51 pm) • Treetrunk (Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:23 pm) • Homer (Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:31 pm) • Guest (Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:14 pm)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

duke wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:50 pm
MrNice wrote:

Thanks

mn
hi mr nice imo its another fake bit of green bullshit and just like when they stole our leaded petrol away without true thought to the consequences and at that time i worked in a car spares shop so got to see some of the damaged engines which folk where told could run on unleaded and ended up fecked with burned out valve seats and even holes in pistons,now this green fakery (made from maize or similar grain normally used for food) though they tell you its green waste thats only part truth as only around 5% is waste rest used to be animal food and has a cost to produce inc pesticides and fossil fuels all to try and look greener and like they care for environment :bang head:
so i expect longterm it will likely kill many older cars,exactly what the government/green brigade want,dont get me started on electric cars electrickery if ive ever seen it,again not really green or sustaiable like they claim besides being god knows how much money theres so many negative points,short range,lack of charging points,expensive repairs esp batteries.
and it creates 10x more pollution building 1 electric car and powerpack than my petrol engined dino fuel beast produces in 10 years of use.
at the end of its life my car can be recycled mostly,electric cars esp batteries have no safe disposal method nor are they recyclable yet,so wheres the green bit? only in the poor green folk they trick into buying them! :lol:
as to the golf i think you should be ok most vws after 1990 run e10 without problems as they have hardened valve seats,im lucky as all volvos since 1976 can run on e10 but still will use superunleaded 97 ron while i can still buy it,after that i shall add 500ml of aviation fuel to my full tank of e10,vvvrrroooommm!!!!!
cheers

Thanks duke yh had a look on fakegov.com think my car should be ok only got 53k on the clock mrnice is no boy racer any more gets me from a to b no problem and on days lik today has A/C so yeah nice and cool

Remember 25yrs ago visting a friend in sweden they allready Ethanol fuel back then was cheaper then petrol had to mix a ratio in yr tank cant remember wat he did but used both pumps think he had an old audi then aswell

Thanks duke im sure ill be back on dukes auto repair consultation :thanks:

l8ter mn
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 2):
duke (Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:23 pm) • IMO (Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:30 pm)

GHO

Post by GHO »

Hey @duke , I have run anything with a 1.9 TDI vag lump for years now. While I appreciate the arguments for losing fossil fuels, until hydrogen technology has been worked to the point that it can power everyday cars I think we're pissing in the wind for 'green' motoring. Now I don't know the science behind emissions but every TDI I've had has done serious mileage (185k on one of them) and turned out 60-65mpg driven politely. Currently I'm running a Skoda Roomster scout, I always buy the lowest mileage I can find (this one's done 74k to date) and pre 2009 to avoid dpf and costs associated with having them. I had a 1.6 petrol Mazda briefly a few years back and it only did 30mpg so I'm hoping that my frugally used diesels cause less pollution but whether that's right or not I'm not sure.
@Marcus nice bike mate. I always wanted an old vmax but never got round to it.
These users thanked the author GHO for the post (total 6):
IMO (Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:31 pm) • duke (Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:22 pm) • Treetrunk (Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:23 pm) • MrNice (Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:30 pm) • Marcus (Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:36 pm) • Guest (Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:15 pm)

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

duke wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:16 pm
also just to say if anyone needs advice on mechanical problems feel free to ask and if i can help i will,my hands might be fecked but my brain still sort of works and i can mend nearly anything,peace all :thanks:
Fair play I’m sure this will help some peeps out going to garages can be a mine field.
These users thanked the author IMO for the post (total 3):
duke (Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:22 pm) • Treetrunk (Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:25 pm) • MrNice (Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:30 pm)

Treetrunk
Respected Member

Post by Treetrunk »

duke wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:50 pm
MrNice wrote:

Thanks

mn
cheers
We used to run 2 stroke racing bike's on Avgas I think it's 99 octane and probably cheaper than unleaded if you know a decent supplier.
You could tune the fook outa two strokes on Avgas mix in Gastrol R and you've got the best smell in the world. Apart from weed obviously.
This new juice is a load of piss. Cars will do less mpg and the Gov coin in more revenue.
It'll fook cars over time so one more dinosaur off the road.
If you want to be environmentally friendly drive an old car.
I've got a Passat TDI with DSG bought it trade last month. Obviously a risk but so far so good. It's done 197000 and is absolutely mint condition for 2007.
I paid to get the dsg serviced £180 and serviced the rest myself.
The Mrs drive's a Honda Jazz 2005 with 150000 on it. We are eco warriors. :lol:
These users thanked the author Treetrunk for the post (total 2):
MrNice (Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:31 pm) • duke (Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:42 pm)

Return to “Non Canna Realated Hobbies And Interests”