Grove Bags Review

Cannabis grow equipment and product reviews
Keeno
Site Admin

Grove Bags Review

Post by Keeno »

Grove Bags Review

Wassup GR420, I've been playing with grove bags for the latest harvest. I purchased 10 of each size for the points store so have a few of each laying around. I decided to test 4 sizes, 2 of each, 1 of each of the 2 heat sealed. Wait 2 weeks and start to open and smell and test the bud within. At the same time, I have buds curing in my normal large smell-proof bags and I've also got some in the "I Love Mary Jane" glass jars. So the plan is to open a grove bag each week after a 2-week wait, totaling 10 weeks.

Initial thoughts

The bags look good, the grips aren't as good as id like or seen on smell-proof type bags. The website says something about turkey bags and the static/way they attract trichomes. These Grove bags are magnets for everything, at least on the outside. From fingerprints, dog air, and dust. They look well made, the printing is smart.

On the website they tell you how to use their bags, and that you need to get your bud to the perfect ranges, humidity, and moisture content. All good advice, but in all my years I've never heard the moisture content or of anyone using meters to get that right. I'm not saying it's not correct, I'm even going to invest in one and have a test. I have 2 issues with this, the chances of hitting the perfect range of humidity and water content are going to be tricky, and the price of a moisture meter. They go from £10 - to hundreds. Which is the one to use? If I cant afford to the big expensive one, could it be wrong, could that be the reason the weed did or didn't cure properly, the moisture was out by x amount but the humidity level was spot on, is that why the weed dont taste right... You see the issue, how long is a piece of string.

The above is setting up any excuses as to why the bud didn't cure properly or as well as you thought. In a ideal world, we would all be curing in a perfect environment, have the expensive meters, and be masters of our craft. But we aren't and we don't have all the perfect environment and gadgets. So for this to be an instruction... We see this in another area we all know and look at regularly. When we buy a packet of seeds, "1kg per plant" on the description, nobody ever comes close, but this does not mean its a lie, an expert grower who knows that strain, was involved in breeding it, had the perfect environment, best gadgets and grow tools, he hit them numbers. But I or you won't.

A bit of a rant lol, but they are setting up excuses.

Testing

I'll start by saying they are curing weed. Not terrible, but they are doing it differently and not as well as either of the other methods. I've grown this strain back to back for 2 years, if you line up 10 strains and asked me to do a blind smell test, Id pick this strain out each and every time... But not this time. The buds curing in the grove bags are different. Smells like ganja, but has a metallic, iron undertone to it, something I've never had off any weed. It's also not going through the normal dog shit faze, that dutty shit smell this strain coats everything in the house with every time I open the bags and jars the rest is curing in and I'm used to.

The smell/taste is far less in the grove bags for the stage of curing.

I have read these are smell proof, hence the "terp lock", and you do not need to heat seal. If you are worried about smell leaks, heat seal them. As mentioned above the grip seal on these bags is not as good as other bags out there, they are not holding up. I'm even getting a whiff off the smell of the heat-sealed ones, this may be to do with the way the bags allow moisture in and out, but there is some smell there.

I'll continue to test week by week but the bigger bags are getting opened first, this lot is all going to RSO but I'm not happy with the change in smell and taste and what else it may be affecting.

Summary

It seems like I've got on a rant and I have, but ill explain why in a minute. First I want to say they do work ok, the weed is curing week by week. But im 100% convinced it's working far less effectively than the other 2 methods, and I don't use one of these methods regularly.

We've all forgotten about a jar of weed, a bag in a draw, a cupboard, or under the bed. You find that bag/jar a year later, same with that nug you found down the back of the desk that's been left in the open air for a year, smells ok and tastes ok, right? If you have weed in the 58-62% humidity range and put in a bag/jar and forget about it... its not going to be terrible 6 months later.

This in my opinion is another gimmick, another way to milk growers out of a few pounds, another old idea dressed up in a new shiny wrapper. The science, big fancy words, case studies, it's all good, and I'm sure right, but... We are not in laboratories, don't have stat of the art kit, we are stoners and home growers. If it ain't broke don't fix it, the issue is companies are out there fixing stuff that doesn't need fixing so that can make more money out of us, it's getting on my nerves lol.

This is something I'm testing still, dedicating 10's of ounces of my green too and I will continue to test it fairly over the 10 weeks. My issue is these bags are underperforming heavily compared to other methods I use. So much so I'm worried it's affecting other aspects of the final product I will be using as medicine.

To be clear, I'm sure the weed in these bags is fine, good, and does the job. Just not anywhere near as I'm used to seeing. When something can affect the final product we are all producing, affect t in a negative way or produce something less beneficial or good, It gets my back up.

Lastly, they are convenient, saves you opening a bag or jar a few times a day for the first week, less the weeks after... Come on, if the burping is to much effort, why spend 4 months growing it. I'll spend the 2 minutes a day as it seems to be producing a much better smelling and tasting product.

Weed has been cured for many years by people far smarter than me and these grove bags may be onto something that proves them all wrong. At the moment I'm not seeing that.

I'll keep testing but at the moment I'm not impressed at all.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 17):
Marcus (Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:08 pm) • Rawreefer (Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:09 pm) • flip (Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:29 pm) • Herbalist (Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:25 pm) • Trippster62 (Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:31 pm) • GMO (Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:01 pm) • waxjess420 (Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:40 am) • 2-Scoops (Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:53 am) • Ash (Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:33 pm) • biosynthetic (Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:54 pm) • Nom (Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:59 pm) • 420mFuk (Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:09 pm) • kbag (Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:35 pm) • Tictok (Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:52 pm) • MommaB (Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:36 pm) • fabi420 (Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:44 pm) • anova.330 (Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:05 pm)

waxjess420
Respected Member

Re: Grove Bags Review

Post by waxjess420 »

Interesting I’m going to keep an eye on this!
These users thanked the author waxjess420 for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:03 pm) • Ash (Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:33 pm)
😈 Resident Meme Demon 😈

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

but in all my years I've never heard the moisture content or of anyone using meters to get that right
If by meters you mean rh meters @Keeno well I've used these in my jars for donkeys years alongside 62rh packs and once bud is cured the rh meter is always sat 62rh, maybe + & - 1rh at times, but that works for me.

These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:03 pm) • Ash (Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:33 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

2-Scoops wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:02 pm
but in all my years I've never heard the moisture content or of anyone using meters to get that right
If by meters you mean rh meters @Keeno well I've used these in my jars for donkeys years alongside 62rh packs and once bud is cured the rh meter is always sat 62rh, maybe + & - 1rh at times, but that works for me.

Not them, they are a staple in my curing process. They recommend we use them and actual moisture content meters. I've never heard of growers using moisture meters. The moisture meters go from £10 - to hundreds of pounds. I'm going to grab one and have a play but I've never in 15 years on forums seen anyone mention one. It's all a bit over the top in my opinion and they want you to get the weed to ideal conditions in 2 different areas, moisture content, and humidity, the latter we all use. As I've mentioned, I don't think it's wrong, but it's well over the top for home growers, and if you don't get the bud to the correct humidity and moisture content then it's set up excuses for why these bags don't work. All that hassle when curing has been done by people to a very high level with no issues, it doesn't need fixing, and to be honest, these are not improving the process IMO.

Outside of the review, these are new snake oil in my opinion. They work, but if you got weed dried to the perfect range of humidity, put it in a Tescos carrier bag, tied the top, forgot about it... it will work, and the weed won't be shite 6 months later, but it won't be amazing. It will be a lot better if you do it correctly.

One of the bits that put me off instantly is the cheap seal on them, Kbag said the same last night, they are truly terrible, smell leaking out already. If you are going to come out with a "terp lock", get these bags made by the millions, and try exploding onto the scene... Don't cheap out on the very seals that stop smell leaking all over the place. Especially when there are other bags put there that have seals that have worked for years.

I really do not like looking like I'm being shitty, I could rant away on a lot of companies I've seen doing things wrong over the years, we all could. I don't do it often. My huge issue with these bags is I'm seeing a rather dramatic difference between these bags, my normal method of smelly-proof bags (which are not meant for curing), and glass jars.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 2):
Ash (Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:35 pm) • 2-Scoops (Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:50 pm)

420mFuk

Post by 420mFuk »

For what it's worth I think these are really for a commercial outfit to store in a climate controlled space before sale there ideal in this situation for storage and logistics, Keeno didn't mention the room temps or RH, I unfortunately live in a high humidity area with high temps, burping in a room with +70%RH & 30C is not good. I don't have a climate controlled space so I think these bags are unsuitable for my use case. If I was legally choppin 100 KGs a month and had a controlled storage I think I'd try them, ermmm actually scrap that I would be worried about the quality further down the line Nah don't think I'd wanna use em.

Good review, thank you keeno.

PS for comparison. Couple years ago with 7 quid I got a 5L glass jar & a bluetooth temp RH sensor with hourly/daily/monthly logging, yup no shit euros too, glass jar 3.50 & sensor was a fiver. Total 8.50 euro tokens / approx 7 GBP tokens.

Image Image
These users thanked the author 420mFuk for the post (total 4):
Keeno (Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:05 pm) • Greenfingers (Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:42 pm) • 2-Scoops (Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:52 pm) • Ash (Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:39 pm)
┌∩┐(_)┌∩┐
1ԼƠƔЄ ۞ Ξ√ΩLUT↑☼N
(_̅_̅_̅(̲̲(̅_̅_̲̅м̲̅a̲̅я̲̅i̲̅j­­­­­­­­­­­̲̅u̲̅a̲̅n̲̅a̲̅_̅_̅_­̅­(­)­ڪ­ ­ڪ­ے­~

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

Good review that is. I haven't bothered to read anything about the grove bags at all, but I kind of got the impression that it was just a case of dry your bud and sling it in the bag and it does it all for you. Obviously this is not the case. I can see they could be handy if you couldnt be around for some reason like off on hols or working away or something. I think I'll use them for that kind of scenario but stick to the usual protocol for now until they've been around a for while. As some would say 'gagets be fooked man', trouble is I've got a house full of gadgets lol
These users thanked the author Nom for the post (total 3):
Keeno (Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:22 pm) • 2-Scoops (Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:52 pm) • Ash (Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:39 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

420mFuk wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:04 pm
For what it's worth I think these are really for a commercial outfit to store in a climate controlled space before sale there ideal in this situation for storage and logistics, Keeno didn't mention the room temps or RH, I unfortunately live in a high humidity area with high temps, burping in a room with +70%RH & 30C is not good. I don't have a climate controlled space so I think these bags are unsuitable for my use case. If I was legally choppin 100 KGs a month and had a controlled storage I think I'd try them, ermmm actually scrap that I would be worried about the quality further down the line Nah don't think I'd wanna use em.

Good review, thank you keeno.

PS for comparison. Couple years ago with 7 quid I got a 5L glass jar & a bluetooth temp RH sensor with hourly/daily/monthly logging, yup no shit euros too, glass jar 3.50 & sensor was a fiver. Total 8.50 euro tokens / approx 7 GBP tokens.

Image Image
I think you are spot on mate. Meant for commercial in controlled envirments.

I tested and will continue to as all mine goes to RSO, but even that's got me a bit twitchy,. I opened another grove bag this morning, and again it's well behind both the other methods.

Old glass jar or smelly proof bag, humidity meter, jobs a goodun.

My rant is more based on some poor fecker putting all their harvest in these bags and it not being the very best it could be. All because there is a new hype product doing the rounds. People risk a lot, spend a lot, take a lot of time to grow their plants. There are tried and tested ways to cure to very high standards.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 3):
420mFuk (Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:37 pm) • 2-Scoops (Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:53 pm) • Ash (Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:39 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Nom wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:18 pm
Good review that is. I haven't bothered to read anything about the grove bags at all, but I kind of got the impression that it was just a case of dry your bud and sling it in the bag and it does it all for you. Obviously this is not the case. I can see they could be handy if you couldnt be around for some reason like off on hols or working away or something. I think I'll use them for that kind of scenario but stick to the usual protocol for now until they've been around a for while. As some would say 'gagets be fooked man', trouble is I've got a house full of gadgets lol
This is the nail on the head of what im trying to say. We should all research, but we dont, we are all guilty of it. How many are chucking bud that isn't in the "perfect ranges" into these bags, leaving it for 6 month. Like I keep saying, it will work, a plastic bag will work, but not as well as other methods. The worst bit is people will never know unless they use them on clones, how would I know that that metallic smell and it smelling much less than normal for this test wasn't normal if I hadn't grown the same clone back to back.

So I'm more ranting for that, Id think the critical im curing in the grove bags was normal as you can't compare unless clones strain side by side. Growers would never know.

But, all my opinions, test7ed in my enviroment and grooms, could be different in the next groom.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 3):
Nom (Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:54 pm) • 2-Scoops (Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:54 pm) • Ash (Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:39 pm)

Ash

Post by Ash »

Thanks for the review keeno. I have some grove bags and also glass jars on the ready. I know you dont have to use the moisture meters so imma just cure at 65%rh and see if it keeps to 62% in the bags. What was the rh% in the bags and was it stable? People online saying if its dried properly it works. Tbf ive asked many on many diff platforms and youre the only one with negative feedback so i think i might still at least use what i have eventually. When i upgrade to a bigger space i think the may be an option if im happy with them. I will ask about the metalic smell because thats not acceptable. Did you also leave 25% of the bag empty while curing? Again cheers for the review i was waiting with bated breath lol.
These users thanked the author Ash for the post:
Keeno (Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:09 pm)
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it". - George Bernard Shaw

biosynthetic
Known User

Post by biosynthetic »

Image Was this the jar that you used? If so what did you think to them?

Return to “Product reviews”