Smokey goes blasting !!

Smokey

Smokey goes blasting !!

Post by Smokey »

Hello Growroom420,

So this week I met up with an old friend of mine and we went blasting. So I thought I’d take some shots of the process and how we went about creating some glass shatter and some honeycomb

So I started with 221 grams of dried and cured ground trim.

The cannon we used has a 70-80 gram capacity, so we split the flower into 3 lots of 70 grams. I used 140 grams for the honey comb and 70 grams on the shatter (more on that later)

So I’ll start with the honeycomb process.

70 grams loaded and packed into the cannon, A bowl of pfte paper all ready prepared, sat it in a Pyrex res and 4x 400ml Newport Gas cans at the ready !!

Each can passes through the cannon and we watch the colour of the liquid building in the bowl, towards the end of the 3rd can gently touch some of the liquid passing through and see if it’s sticky between 2 fingers if so you can use the 4th can, but this is not always necessary sometimes 3 is enough.

Once all the gas has been passed through the cannon allow to sit for a minute or so until the bubbles settle down completely. Then we can start slowly adding some luke warm tap water to the res (do not use hot water from a kettle) this will then start the boiling off process. Once the water in the res starts to cool ice will start to form so you will need to keep emptying the water from the res and keep topping up with the warm water. After emptying the res twice allow the liquid to re settle again. Take a sterile tea spoon and gently stir the liquid. We do this to remove the “mystery oil residue” as you stir the liquid you will see this residue start to form and clump once you see it’s all bound you just simply remove it with the spoon. Once your happy you have removed all the residue repeat the boiling off process.

Once all the gas has evaporated you will be left with with the first part of your extract and we can move onto the next step.

Place your product in an un heated vac chamber and we pull the product cranking the pressure slowly and then let the muffin just fall on itself we do this twice, and then we also shock the muffin by purging at full power and instantly dropping it again this shock allows us to manipulate the product easily without loosing any whilst forming the cookie shape.

Remove the product still in the pfte from the vac chamber and remove all the clips.

You then fold the product on itself by folding the pfte in half, and roll out using a rolling pin repeat 3 times, roll your product into a ball on the pfte sheet picking up any residue so nothing goes to waste and form a nice puck shape roughly 10ml in thickness.

Now we can start the purging process.

Pre heat the chamber to 40c and then add your product and then start your purge at around 20 psi for the first half hour collapsing your muffin twice during to give you better spread. After that we can start to increase pressure and temps never surpassing 25psi or 48c throughout the entire purge !! Leave in the chamber for a minimum of 48 hours however this batch was actually purged for 72 hours.

Now a little on the shatter, the process is ultimately the same as the honeycomb but a few tweaks along the way,

First we winterise the flower by loading up the cannon and putting it in the freezer along 4 x 400ml Newport gas they then stay in the freezer for a minimum of 48 hours, the longer the better generally. From then we blast one can at a time fresh out the freezer as quick as possible once the first cans empty then remove the second from the freezer and repeat, this is important to get the gas through the material as quickly as humanly possible!!!! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. Every step there after is the same as the honey comb part from temps In the vac chamber (this is essential) we start the purge temp at 30c and never surpass 38c throughout.

And there we have it some fully purged and completely stable shatter & honeycomb

Thanks for looking in folks

Peace out,

Smokes
🍁 Who Jah Bless No Man Curse 🍁

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Re: Smokey goes blasting !!

Post by Josh »

Hey smokey, looks great man

But I was under the impression that winterizing is after the bho extraction...

I've been blasting mine, then re-dissolving in 99% iso, then freeze for 2-3 days. This seperates the oil from the plant waxes and lipids product comes out clear enough to read newspaper through

You've never done it like this?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Hey,

I can't see these images. I'm either seeing the alt name "image"?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

integrajosh wrote:Hey smokey, looks great man

I've been blasting mine, then re-dissolving in 99% iso, then freeze for 2-3 days. This seperates the oil from the plant waxes and lipids product comes out clear enough to read newspaper through

We winterise before extraction j it saves a lot of leg work bro

I haven’t tried that method at all tbh I must admit, in all honesty I don’t really see the sense in all the extra effort. The shatter we ran is stable as hell still has that snap even at room temperature and she’s crystal clear bro and amazing terp preservation too she’s clean

Thanks for stopping in bro

Smokes

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

grumpygrower wrote:Hey,

I can't see these images. I'm either seeing the alt name "image"?

Really ??? Not sure why gg

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

Smokey wrote:
integrajosh wrote:Hey smokey, looks great man

We winterise before extraction j it saves a lot of leg work bro

I haven’t tried that method at all tbh I must admit, in all honesty I don’t really see the sense in all the extra effort. The shatter we ran is stable as hell still has that snap even at room temperature and she’s crystal clear bro and amazing terp preservation too she’s clean

Thanks for stopping in bro

Smokes
Freezing the product before-hand, like you're doing, helps prevent crossover of fats and waxes. But it won't remove all of them
Your end products looks fantastic, but trust me it is sooooo smooth once you winterize it twice
You obviously know what you're doing my man, just love the discussions we have. I'm always down to learn

In a few weeks I'll be doing a live resin run on a whole plant, I'll post a vid of the whole process Image

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Yeah that’s why we love this place dude, love the discussions and the many many ways we all go about our work

The next run for me is also a live resin run dude. We have a whole plant fully trimmed and she’s in the freezer now, she’s a tangerine x dream weaver she we stay in the freeze for a week then she will be blasted for a diamonds a sauce run

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

Smokey wrote:Yeah that’s why we love this place dude, love the discussions and the many many ways we all go about our work

The next run for me is also a live resin run dude. We have a whole plant fully trimmed and she’s in the freezer now, she’s a tangerine x dream weaver she we stay in the freeze for a week then she will be blasted for a diamonds a sauce run
Have you found the lower vacuum to help with stabilization?
I normally pull full vacuum (-29.5) but with any heat it tends to butter up. Is that why?

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Oh absolutely dude lowest heat to start and crank the pressure over time the stabilisation happens which is when you can increase temps, so say day 1 in the chamber I would leave the pressure on 20 but I’m that 24hr period increase temp from 40 - 43, day 2 up to 22.5 psi and up to 45c over the course, day 3 up to 25 and up to 48 (only if required)

There’s or there abouts you’re golden bro

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

Smokey wrote:Oh absolutely dude lowest heat to start and crank the pressure over time the stabilisation happens which is when you can increase temps, so say day 1 in the chamber I would leave the pressure on 20 but I’m that 24hr period increase temp from 40 - 43, day 2 up to 22.5 psi and up to 45c over the course, day 3 up to 25 and up to 48 (only if required)

There’s or there abouts you’re golden bro
Nice, thanks bro
Where can I get one of those fancy digital heat things you got?

Return to “Cannabis Concentrates & Extracts”