How you can get away with Blasting BHO

GMO
GR420 Leg End

How you can get away with Blasting BHO

Post by GMO »

Hi folks this is just a run down of what you can get away with to run a BHO blast with the minimum investment in a single blast

This is not a guide to the ideal extraction scenario just what does work

So we will start with the bare minimum materials

Plant material is obvious (but if I left it off someone would point it out)

Butane, i will let you be the judge of quality

A vessel suitable for holding the material. I suggest a PET plastic bottle for short term use

Some super fine filter mesh. I used 72u

Coffee filter

Cut to size saves waste

I use PVC tape but it's not ideal

A 3mm drill bit ( i would recommend a smaller drill bit as some canister fittings go straight through a 3mm hole)

A pyrex dish to blast into

Some parchment paper or silicone baking sheet

So let's assemble the bottle and filters

Make a hole in the lid. A 25mm drill bit fits the lucozade bottle very well

Layer up you filters and HALF screw the lid on

At this point remove the lid and confirm your filters are centred

Now we drill a small hole in the base

At this point it's worth removing the label to make sure you're vessel is completely dry

Mine isnt so I will pop the bottle in a warm place and continue this thread when its fully dry

translated from the bongo of the canna jungle
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Re: How you can get away with Blasting BHO

Post by The Aspie Toker »

GMO wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:55 pm
Plant material is obvious (but if I left it off someone would point it out)
I can't image whom would do that. :)

Nice article, mate. Can't wait to see the rest of it.
If you need someone to test the end result, let me know :)
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Different bottle but I found some pics to finish the thread

So you wanna pack to bottle firmly like a blunt to the point this dont russle much when you shake the bottle but with a little spongyness if you push on it... full but not crammed

Then replace your filter screens and screw on the lid (the image was of a trial run with the coffee filter outside the lid but I think it works better with the screens layers without the gap)

So the blast I dont have a picture of but holding the bottle vertically over the pyrex dish in you non dominant hand and the butane canister in your dominant hand. Apply gentle but firm pressure to discharge the canister

Discharge 400-600ml butane (1- 1.5 400ml canisters) per ounce of plant material. More butane will likely return more weight but the quality will drastically drop of after this point.

Note: if you have the lighter fitting valves it's worth securing one to the base of the bottle as this hold more pressure in your bottle while changing canisters than a hole alone. Additionally once you've finished discharging the final canister, leave it in place till the liquid butane stops dripping from the bottle mouth, again this just maintains pressure keeping the gas colder and forcing it through the material and filters better

Okay so now you have a pool of liquid butane in a pyrex dish that should look a bit like someone pissed in it and it's still foaming

Depending on the volume of butane used it will boil of to leave a gloopy honey

Once the dish has reach closer to room temp (your welcome to hot water bath but I just leave it in open air for 30-40min for about 1l to boil off) bubbles should start forming and popping

When your happy scrape thing gooey mess onto something non stick mentioned in the first post and continue to apply gentle heat

Once the bubbles struggle to pop at around 65c chill the extract till you can flip it, then apply heat again. This is because butane can become trap under the extract and it allow better purge without damaging clarity like whipping does

Repeat the heat and chill process till your happy

This is still being heated and flipped but it's nearly there

So dont be shy, give it a try. Get outdoors in the good fresh air and blast some for yourself

But be careful when you do and dont blame me if your not

These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
Wardrobe Farming (Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:56 am)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Eventually you get to the point that you take it out from chill, attempt to flip it and this happens

It's a pain in the arse but a good sign

Just gently warm as is and chill again and it should reform

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Edit: I would recommend a smaller drill bit as some canister fittings go straight through a 3mm hole

darrenking241
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by darrenking241 »

GMO wrote:Eventually you get to the point that you take it out from chill, attempt to flip it and this happens

It's a pain in the arse but a good sign

Just gently warm as is and chill again and it should reform

Nice 1 GMO for this post, to think I was going to waste money on a blast tube and vac purge haha very helpful mate.

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

darrenking241 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:30 pm
Nice 1 GMO for this post, to think I was going to waste money on a blast tube and vac purge haha very helpful mate.
My pleasure mate

i would say for sure that the correct equipment is well worth while if you know what kind of end product you hope to produce. this is just to show what you can get away with

hopefully in the not too distant future ill be expanding the subject into different blast and purge processes to make it easier to get the end product your looking for. every stage of the process can be incredibly important if your looking for the highest quality product at the end and the process will vary depending on what your aiming your final product to be 8-)

darrenking241
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by darrenking241 »

GMO wrote:
darrenking241 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:30 pm
My pleasure mate

i would say for sure that the correct equipment is well worth while if you know what kind of end product you hope to produce. this is just to show what you can get away with

hopefully in the not too distant future ill be expanding the subject into different blast and purge processes to make it easier to get the end product your looking for. every stage of the process can be incredibly important if your looking for the highest quality product at the end and the process will vary depending on what your aiming your final product to be 8-)
I’m gonna try with trim at the end of the week I know it won’t be great quality but don’t want to waste good bud until I’ve done the process a couple of times to build my confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

darrenking241 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:46 pm
I’m gonna try with trim at the end of the week I know it won’t be great quality but don’t want to waste good bud until I’ve done the process a couple of times to build my confidence.
Good man! get on it!
regards to quality, the quality of processed trim can be as high in potency as bud material. just the yield return will be lower for lower quality plant material and the difference in terps but without equipment to blast and purge terps are lost anyway. the beauty of concentrating is that we are refining and purifying the product to get the best quality

Return to “Cannabis Concentrates & Extracts”