Platen pressure formula?

Vador
Known User

Platen pressure formula?

Post by Vador »

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can help me with this conundrum.

In the instructions for my rosin press it gives you a formula to work out the platen psi as can be seen in this photo.

So a 6x12cm block needs a platen psi of 1577psi, sounds about right id guess as its quite a big block and coincidentally that is the same dimensions as the plates on the press. Ok thats great I understand the formula and can repeat it and get the same results brilliant, or so i thought.
Now i try a 2x2cm block and using the same formula get a platen psi of 28387
So i tried a 13x13cm block and get a platen psi of 672

Whats going on? Surely that formula must be wrong, it seems backwards or have i messed it right up?

Heres the math as i see it

2x2cm=4sq cm = 0.62sq inch
17,600/0.62=28387psi

13x13cm=169sq cm = 26.19sq inch
17,600/26.19=672psi

It doesn’t give me the result i need, 2x2cm should be roughly 650psi needed on the bag.
All its telling me that if i put the full 8t of force on then ill be putting 28387 pounds of pressure per square inch onto the 2x2 bag, is that right?

wtf is happening?

what i think i need to know is how much psi i need to apply to the bag for its particular size then i can work out how much of the 8t I actually need to use, whatever number that gives me needs to then be converted to MPa which it reads on the press guage

This has been such a headfuck, been back to this a few times over the week and looked online but everyone gives you the same formulas. had some pretty good results through trial and error, a 2” puck weighing 10g can be pressed on the 3rd or 4th bar on the gauge to get a nice clean product but push it much further and it starts to get a bit darker. What i want is a formula that tells me where i need to get to on the gauge for whatever size block im pressing. Then that takes away the guesswork.
Any ideas?
░█▒█▒▄▀▄░█▀▄░▄▀▄▒█▀▄
░▀▄▀░█▀█▒█▄▀░▀▄▀░█▀▄

Drugs and Alcohol are never the answer! Unless the question was “what am I doing tonight”.

Return to “Cannabis Concentrates & Extracts”