Welcome to the indoor cannabis section. This section is here for you to discuss all the aspects of growing cannabis indoors. Ask any questions or share your knowledge on growing cannabis in a indoor environment. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Tap Water

Discuss growing cannabis indoors
Tictok
Known User

Tap Water

Post by Tictok »

Hey all

I am reviewing my grow set up as my second grow is causing me problems in flower, just like my first.

I've been using tesco mineral water which is ok I think, ph6.0 but I'm getting fed up buying the stuff and I'm left with a load of recycling.

I have PH'd my tap water, it's around 7.5 and my new method will be to use Batmix soil and Alga Bloom in flower once my clones grow out enough.

The question is will tap water be ok? It says you have to flush the Batmix soil first and I really don't want to be doing that with bottled water.

Is 7.5 too high and will I have to treat it every time I water or will the soil buffer it?

Any help much appreciated as I'm doing a grand job fucking up my flowering plant currently and something has to change for next time!
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post (total 3):
Bulls (Tue May 19, 2020 12:02 pm) • Thrasherdude (Tue May 19, 2020 1:40 pm) • Dex (Thu May 21, 2020 10:14 am)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Re: Tap Water

Post by seymore_budz »

Tictok wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:11 am
Hey all

I am reviewing my grow set up as my second grow is causing me problems in flower, just like my first.

I've been using tesco mineral water which is ok I think, ph6.0 but I'm getting fed up buying the stuff and I'm left with a load of recycling.

I have PH'd my tap water, it's around 7.5 and my new method will be to use Batmix soil and Alga Bloom in flower once my clones grow out enough.

The question is will tap water be ok? It says you have to flush the Batmix soil first and I really don't want to be doing that with bottled water.

Is 7.5 too high and will I have to treat it every time I water or will the soil buffer it?

Any help much appreciated as I'm doing a grand job fucking up my flowering plant currently and something has to change for next time!
Your tap water will be fine buddy. In fact, it will be better than the bottled water. Alga grow and bloom contain water soluble nutrients so you don't need to worry about the chloramine so much.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
Dex (Thu May 21, 2020 10:26 am)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:14 am
Tictok wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:11 am
Hey all

Is 7.5 too high and will I have to treat it every time I eater or will the soil buffer it?

My water is ph 7.6 and above, EC anything up to 0.8 and I use it just fine in batmix.

Run your seedling pot through with water 1st or it's too hot for the little ones, if you're doing autos in batmix (final pot to start), just make a well in the middle and pop a ball of rinsed batmix in there.

:oik!:

PS - I don;t even leave the water to stand overnight anymore, just let it up to room temp before watering.

PPS... What problems you having?
Thanks so much Marcus, music to my ears that.
I had a potassium problem that looked to develop to a calcium/magnesium problem, 4 weeks into flower and still just preflowers really, but a lot of them. Plus the plant is the biggest I've grown so I'm in the dark really. Guano Kalung nutes and probably didn't feed enough and she's drinking at least 2 litres a day in a 7.5ltt air pot. Difficult being second grow. I've added magnecal and upped the feed (I was airing on the side of caution before at only 1ml/ltr). It might recover but luckily I took clones in veg and very early flower, so I've got anither chance.
grumpygrower wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:16 am

Your tap water will be fine buddy. In fact, it will be better than the bottled water. Alga grow and bloom contain water soluble nutrients so you don't need to worry about the chloramine so much.
Thanks Grumpy, what a relief, no more trips to bloody Tesco!
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post:
Dex (Thu May 21, 2020 10:27 am)

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:38 am
I'd invest in a small tub of epsom salts, K deficiency can look a lot like a Mg def.

A teaspoon of epsom in a L or two of plain water for a watering normally greens them up again and sorts that out.

Are you feeding one day, then plain water the next on a daily rotation? You may have over ferted her and locked her up. Real easy to do in Batmix, well... real easy for me to do in batmix! :lol:

Some plants love a full dose of ferts daily (Hindu Kush kinda region plants) others only need ferts once a week (African / Thai kinda things). Just gotta tread carefully with all the hybrids these days. Best to be under fed than over.

I'm sure she'll be cool come chop though. :oik!:
Cheers Marcus and you may well be right. My first grow screwed up due to lack of Epsom salts so I did give this one some at the beginning if flower but probably not enough.

I had been feeding every water, albeit just 1ml/ltr but I'll monitor it. Its only had the one dose of magnecal so hopefully some Epsom salts next water will be ok.

I hadn't thought I'd even get to chop but I've got hope now! Thanks again.
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post (total 2):
Marcus (Tue May 19, 2020 1:21 pm) • Dex (Thu May 21, 2020 10:29 am)

Mafooo
Known User

Post by Mafooo »

As Im no expert with bat mix I wont chime in much here but I will tell you that I would feel comfortable using 7.5 pH tap water for flushing through media before planting. Just make sure EC of tap is low so u dont have to worry about dissolving too many salts in there from the epsom or any other nute u using.

My tap water comes out at 9pH so there is no way I can use it for anything before chucking acid in it
These users thanked the author Mafooo for the post (total 2):
Tictok (Tue May 19, 2020 5:56 pm) • Dex (Thu May 21, 2020 10:31 am)

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:23 pm
Tictok wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:31 pm
Marcus wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:38 am
I'd invest in a small tub of epsom salts, K deficiency can look a lot like a Mg def.

A teaspoon of epsom in a L or two of plain water for a watering normally greens them up again and sorts that out.

Are you feeding one day, then plain water the next on a daily rotation? You may have over ferted her and locked her up. Real easy to do in Batmix, well... real easy for me to do in batmix! :lol:

Some plants love a full dose of ferts daily (Hindu Kush kinda region plants) others only need ferts once a week (African / Thai kinda things). Just gotta tread carefully with all the hybrids these days. Best to be under fed than over.

I'm sure she'll be cool come chop though. :oik!:
Cheers Marcus and you may well be right. My first grow screwed up due to lack of Epsom salts so I did give this one some at the beginning if flower but probably not enough.

I had been feeding every water, albeit just 1ml/ltr but I'll monitor it. Its only had the one dose of magnecal so hopefully some Epsom salts next water will be ok.

I hadn't thought I'd even get to chop but I've got hope now! Thanks again.
You got a link to a diary dude?

I can;t find fart all around this place. Everything seems to get swamped and drowned out by the comps. My diary is even in the Newbie questions section, I struggle to find. :idn:

:lol:
I've not run a diary this time, but have taken a few pics here and there. I should probably put something up, but will definitely do that with the clones of the bodhi stuff. If the fat leaf pheno of more cowbell is female that will be an interesting flower period.

Thanks all for the input, seriously turned the emotional level from panicking I've killed another grow, to mild optimism I might actually get a harvest!
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post:
Dex (Thu May 21, 2020 10:31 am)

Mafooo
Known User

Post by Mafooo »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:27 pm
Mafoo.Martin wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 pm
As Im no expert with bat mix I wont chime in much here but I will tell you that I would feel comfortable using 7.5 pH tap water for flushing through media before planting. Just make sure EC of tap is low so u dont have to worry about dissolving too many salts in there from the epsom or any other nute u using.

My tap water comes out at 9pH so there is no way I can use it for anything before chucking acid in it
Your water is real alkaline, I'd be selling that as a diet supplement. One of them fancy 'SMART' water drinks. :lol:

Pure water has a ph of 7.

Rain water a ph of 5.6.

Does yours come from a natural source?
Ah marcus mate i live in a middle aged 130 ish year old shitty that has 350,000 humans connected to the same aquifer beneath us all here. Its coming out of the limestone bedrocj I imagine ~300-400 ft underground. It makes wicked beer but maybe I should check the EC out of the tap as well. My fish gut juice seems to be within ec marks after mixing and that stuff is so acidic I have even kick it a bit with the bottle of base
These users thanked the author Mafooo for the post:
Dex (Thu May 21, 2020 10:33 am)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Have you thought about bumping up the microlife in your soil if growing organically ? Maybe that has summink to do with it cus ferts and organic stuff your using needs to be broken down before its usable by plant and tis microlife that does this and it maybe nothing to do with the water, just a suggestion. Possibly switching to mineral based ferts all together.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
The Aspie Toker (Wed May 20, 2020 2:12 pm) • Dex (Thu May 21, 2020 10:33 am)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Mafooo
Known User

Post by Mafooo »

jimmi2scoops wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:09 pm
Have you thought about bumping up the microlife in your soil if growing organically ? Maybe that has summink to do with it cus ferts and organic stuff your using needs to be broken down before its usable by plant and tis microlife that does this and it maybe nothing to do with the water, just a suggestion. Possibly switching to mineral based ferts all together.
Would be a keen thing to look into if I need to use strict mineral baded nutes and not salt based ferts. I still havent ec checked the tap

I didnt buy any decent soil tho either. Just some cheap shit from Schultz thats already fertilized. The next potup will go into some foxfarm hopefully
These users thanked the author Mafooo for the post (total 2):
Thrasherdude (Wed May 20, 2020 9:28 pm) • Dex (Thu May 21, 2020 10:34 am)

Thrasherdude
Respected Member

Post by Thrasherdude »

To be honest I never let my tapwater go on roomtemp. Before I give it to my plants. Always cold water, contains more oxygen right? Warm water is a no go.
These users thanked the author Thrasherdude for the post:
Dex (Thu May 21, 2020 10:34 am)

Return to “Indoor Cannabis Growing”