Welcome to the indoor cannabis section. This section is here for you to discuss all the aspects of growing cannabis indoors. Ask any questions or share your knowledge on growing cannabis in a indoor environment. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Soil or Coco

Discuss growing cannabis indoors
KD
Known User

Re: Soil or Coco

Post by KD »

@2-Scoops being organic I don't use a pH pen either but I honestly don't have a Scooby why I don't get any issues with it. Any ideas @GMO ? Is it the microherd or something else?

Breeders Collective   Barney's Farm
2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

KD wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:08 pm
@2-Scoops being organic I don't use a pH pen either but I honestly don't have a Scooby why I don't get any issues with it. Any ideas @GMO ? Is it the microherd or something else?
They live and thrive around ph 6.0 to 6.5 and act as natural buffers for ph, so in that scenario i`d say yes myself. I maybe wrong though 8-)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
KD (Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:20 pm) • Ghost_In_A_Jar (Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:34 am)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Ghost_In_A_Jar

Post by Ghost_In_A_Jar »

Ok, so is that PH the same level for soil?

I use the biobizz organic ph +\- to adjust any feed to about 6.2-6.8
Usually before I adjust it, it sits at 7.7 (ish). I was told it was too high so I started to adjust it.

Coco is deffo a goer for me at some point. I’ll probably take the plunge with some coco pro+ to start, but if I can adjust a block or plain bag of coco to my own desired mix of nutes etc, I kinda like that idea.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Gupz wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:20 am
Ok, so is that PH the same level for soil?

I use the biobizz organic ph +\- to adjust any feed to about 6.2-6.8
Usually before I adjust it, it sits at 7.7 (ish). I was told it was too high so I started to adjust it.

Coco is deffo a goer for me at some point. I’ll probably take the plunge with some coco pro+ to start, but if I can adjust a block or plain bag of coco to my own desired mix of nutes etc, I kinda like that idea.
Coco is hydro and your ph should be around 5.8 to 6.2 but soil ph is a bit higher as you know although theirs no reason why you can`t grow in coco at a ph of 6.5 cus I've done it more than once to great results, very durable stuff indeed. When i first switched to growing coco no one knew what it was, ok maybe not that bad but hardly anyone grew with it. But guy who shown me and put me onto it ran 6.5ph and he was smashing it, so it was done thing for me too but ideal ph imo is 5.8 in coco.

If i was to have a go growing in coco with bottled organic ferts and running a microherd in the coco i`d prolly run it higher than 5.8 myself what with microbes in coco living and performing best at slightly higher ph, so maybe 6.2 ph would be better option and up to 6.5 at a push. It`s my opinion its not best medium to grow organically in, if your wanting to grow organically myself i`d stick with a good organic based soil myself, i`m not saying it can`t be done but i don`t think results would be anything like an organic soil or synthetic based coco grow. If your wi,lling to change those ferrts out to summink like Canna coco A&B then for sure coco is a dream to grow in. 8-)
Last edited by 2-Scoops on Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Ghost_In_A_Jar (Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:34 am)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

this lil vid helped me alot

These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
Ghost_In_A_Jar (Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:34 am)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

KD
Known User

Post by KD »

@2-Scoops @Gupz I've found the opposite to be true, with better results in Coco but I don't use bottled ferts. BioTabs is what I use and I was considering switching to Plagron BatMix and Alga line of nutes but after talking with GMO and getting a bit of a better understanding of what's going on with the tabs, I'm tweaking the mix they suggest to use 1 less Tab as I do get borderline N toxicity in veg. The flavour and smell of my bud and the size and growth rate of the plant has always been noticeably better in Coco though. If you do ever try them and get N tox, just bottom water for a few waterings. My next diary will be with the tweaked mix so look out for that if you'd like to follow along. It'll either be white rhino or Wedding Cheesecake.
These users thanked the author KD for the post (total 2):
Ghost_In_A_Jar (Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:33 am) • 2-Scoops (Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:36 pm)

Ghost_In_A_Jar

Post by Ghost_In_A_Jar »

So realistically I couldn’t use the same ferts as I currently use for soil. Can’t deny I do enjoy having as much of the grow being organic as I can, but if the taste can be improved, I’m all for it.

I think the plan is going to be to run through what I’ve got with the autos in soil (because I kinda get what’s happening).

Then switch to coco and some photos. So one more grow after the current one and I’ll make a full switch to coco.

Can’t thank you all enough for the words of wisdom 👌
These users thanked the author Ghost_In_A_Jar for the post:
2-Scoops (Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:36 pm)

KD
Known User

Post by KD »

Gupz wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:42 pm
So realistically I couldn’t use the same ferts as I currently use for soil. Can’t deny I do enjoy having as much of the grow being organic as I can, but if the taste can be improved, I’m all for it.

I think the plan is going to be to run through what I’ve got with the autos in soil (because I kinda get what’s happening).

Then switch to coco and some photos. So one more grow after the current one and I’ll make a full switch to coco.

Can’t thank you all enough for the words of wisdom 👌
Personally I wouldn't touch BioBizz nutes with a barge pole anyway because of my own, and others bad experiences with them. That being said, I have no idea if they work in Coco or just for soil.... If at all 😂

I'm not a rep for BioTabs or anything but check them out. Just don't follow the exact instructions... Use half as much Orgatrex and 1 less Tab and I THINK you'll be golden.

Here's my favourite pic so far from my Purple Bud plant grown in seedling soil with BioTabs

These users thanked the author KD for the post (total 3):
Treetrunk (Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:25 pm) • Ghost_In_A_Jar (Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:33 am) • Zipp (Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:18 pm)

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

If you decide on coco all ewe need is this a few sacks of husk and some ferts a tad of pk boost is optional but not needed the yield and speed of plant growth is quicker than soil.Image

great googly moogly!

These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post (total 3):
KD (Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:03 pm) • Zipp (Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:20 pm) • wutang (Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:32 pm)

Ghost_In_A_Jar

Post by Ghost_In_A_Jar »

So I don’t know anything about biobizz having bad reviews... what’s the bad experiences that people have had with them?

I do want to stick to an organic grow as much as possible. I guess being a bit naive to this world of growing, I may have overlooked others experiences and just gone with what I thought seemed the best idea at the time.

I wanted to keep things as simple as possible as well. I have little in the way of patience, so the whole process needs to be as streamlined for me to deal with as it can be 😂 I’ve always followed the rule from keeping corals.... k.I.S.S... keep it simple, stupid. The more you add, the more there is to take care of 🙂 I went for the bottled organic nutes to just give me an easy option for feeding.
I’ve done one grow with just using bat guano tea and to be totally honest.....it was the best tasting grow I’ve done to date.

I’ll check out the bio tabs stuff. Are there any other organic feeds that you guys and girls would recommend?

Return to “Indoor Cannabis Growing”