Welcome to the Cannabis Germination & Propagation section. In this section you can find information and ask questions regarding the germination of cannabis seeds as well as propagation and the different techniques use to germinate cannabis seeds. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Germination problems

A place to get info and discuss germination of cannabis seeds
Twisted

Germination problems

Post by Twisted »

Hi all I've been having trouble with seeds the last couple of years and can't put my finger on it, so basically the first about 3 years of growing I had a near 100% success rate with seeds but now I'm really struggling but havent changed anything, I've put some seeds in wet paper and only 3 have been good enough to pot up so far, they seem to crack then just get stuck (in the picture) I've always put them in wet paper into a DVD case and on top of the PlayStation for warmth but not working anymore. It's only been 4 days so far but I've been here before and they just don't get anymore of a tap root.Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Twisted for the post (total 2):
The Aspie Toker (Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:20 am) • Bulls (Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:19 pm)

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Re: Germination problems

Post by Marcus »

Sorry to hear you're having issues dude.

I'd get a laser pointer temp gun for a tenner off the ebay and check what temps the PS is getting to? I like it 27-30*C for seedlings.

You could get a couple of clear tubs and a small fish tank heater and do a TIT (tub in tub) to maintain a constant temp.

I've gone back to germing in small pots of coco and jiffy pellets and am getting 100% hit rates. I always found wet tissue in a DVD case propped against my router a bit hit n miss.

I've also experimented with cracking seeds with a weight on top of the coir and got 100% and probably the strongest seedling starters ever...

ImageImageImageImage

Yeah, that's a glass petri dish and a kilo weight on top of them. :lol:

Analyse your process and see if it falls down anywhere, come at it as a newbie seed cracker and have another pop following one of the guides that are on the web.

Good luck though, and if you want some beans to practice on let me know and I can forward them to a mod to sling in your next care package.
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 5):
Twisted (Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:29 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:22 am) • Bulls (Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:21 pm) • Tictok (Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:35 pm) • 2-Scoops (Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:15 pm)

duke
Respected Member

Post by duke »

hi hateful isnt it when seeds fail? may i ask how you store your seeds?are they fresh when sown? i will say i never germ in tissue or anything but straight new coco coir as ime anything that involves touching the newly germed seed causes damage no matter how gentle you think you have been potting up,a small pot of damp coco and a 25c or so temp and germing is swift and painless,plant seeds in coco a little deeper than in soil about an inch down this helps the seed remove its protective shell as it opens.all the above being my experience mostly with photoperiod seed though i guess seedwise autos are the same needs,old seeds or poorly stored can ime crack and then stall.cheers and hope for better luck for you,peace
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 3):
Twisted (Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:29 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:22 am) • Tictok (Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:36 pm)
sussex pet rescue fundraiser https://sussexpetrescue.org
help rescued dogs by donating for good karma and because its nice to give, :thanks:
link to diary viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7385

Treetrunk
Respected Member

Post by Treetrunk »

duke wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:39 pm
hi hateful isnt it when seeds fail? may i ask how you store your seeds?are they fresh when sown? i will say i never germ in tissue or anything but straight new coco coir as ime anything that involves touching the newly germed seed causes damage no matter how gentle you think you have been potting up,a small pot of damp coco and a 25c or so temp and germing is swift and painless,plant seeds in coco a little deeper than in soil about an inch down this helps the seed remove its protective shell as it opens.all the above being my experience mostly with photoperiod seed though i guess seedwise autos are the same needs,old seeds or poorly stored can ime crack and then stall.cheers and hope for better luck for you,peace
Totally agree with that. The less you muck about with em the better.
I just germinate in root riots.
These users thanked the author Treetrunk for the post (total 4):
Twisted (Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:29 pm) • duke (Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:54 pm) • Bulls (Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:22 pm) • Tictok (Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:36 pm)

Twisted

Post by Twisted »

duke wrote:hi hateful isnt it when seeds fail? may i ask how you store your seeds?are they fresh when sown? i will say i never germ in tissue or anything but straight new coco coir as ime anything that involves touching the newly germed seed causes damage no matter how gentle you think you have been potting up,a small pot of damp coco and a 25c or so temp and germing is swift and painless,plant seeds in coco a little deeper than in soil about an inch down this helps the seed remove its protective shell as it opens.all the above being my experience mostly with photoperiod seed though i guess seedwise autos are the same needs,old seeds or poorly stored can ime crack and then stall.cheers and hope for better luck for you,peace
I just bought them so went straight into paper, it must be a temp problem I've just Doug out my heated propergator so hopefully that will keep an warm enough

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Twisted for the post:
duke (Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:53 pm)

Ancient.Soul.Grown

Post by Ancient.Soul.Grown »

This is how i start em :)

Every day is a school day always learning.

Stay Lifted

ASG
These users thanked the author Ancient.Soul.Grown for the post (total 2):
Twisted (Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:58 pm) • Tictok (Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:36 pm)

Ancient.Soul.Grown

Another cool way with the clear cup to check root development.

ASG
These users thanked the author Ancient.Soul.Grown for the post (total 4):
duke (Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:48 pm) • Twisted (Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:17 pm) • The Daze (Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:53 pm) • Tictok (Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:37 pm)

Ancient.Soul.Grown

Drop t5 light closer to stop stretch.

I was also told that 3 days of darkness prior to lights on stops the stretch.... something i am going to test and will document.

Cheers

ASG
These users thanked the author Ancient.Soul.Grown for the post:
duke (Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:47 pm)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Soak mine for 12hrs first

Then on top wet paper towel between two plant saucers place inside zip bag keep moisture in then in black bag keep light out
then sit the bag on top of my LED light for 48hrs
hey presto we have life

Never fail me so far

thats my 10p worth ..............lol

l8ter

mn
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 3):
Twisted (Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:17 pm) • Ancient.Soul.Grown (Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:46 pm) • Tictok (Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:37 pm)

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

I first soak mine for 12-24 hours with a little rhizotonic. During that time I may prod them to help them sink.
Then I transfer them to a wet paper towel, fold, then into a sandwich bag and place them on top of the Sky box.

Once sprouted, I use a spoon and more water to knock off the seed into the hole in the soil.
These users thanked the author The Aspie Toker for the post (total 3):
Twisted (Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:17 pm) • MrNice (Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:20 pm) • Ancient.Soul.Grown (Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:46 pm)
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

Return to “Cannabis Germination & Propagation”