Welcome to the Cannabis Germination & Propagation section. In this section you can find information and ask questions regarding the germination of cannabis seeds as well as propagation and the different techniques use to germinate cannabis seeds. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Seeds haven't cracked

A place to get info and discuss germination of cannabis seeds
ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Seeds haven't cracked

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

Hi guys, thought it wouldn't be long before I asked for advice. So on Thursday (day 1) I wanted to start the seeds popping for my second grow. So I had 2 glasses with water that had been rested for 24hours, put a few drops of canna bio rhizotonic in each one and popped 2 RP strawberry banana seeds in one glass and 2 DP lemon zkittles in the other. Popped them in the airing cupboard and 12 hours later the strawberry banana had cracked (by this I mean they the start of a root had popped out) and I transfered them to the damp paper towel method (the strawberry banana are now little seedlings and look awesome and healthy!) the zkittles however: one had popped slightly the other not at all so I transfered them to paper towel method but after 48 hours there was no root growth at all, the one that had cracked had the same amount of root popping out and the other still hadn't cracked.
The lemon zskittles are now soaking in a glass in the airing cupboard still and look the same (Start of day 6 today). Have a I got duff seeds or should I just plant the buggers?
These users thanked the author ohlordyeah_420 for the post:
Son Goku XD (Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:11 pm)
diary link me do

"I fucking hate harvesting. I like planting the things and watering them, and looking after them, talking to them. I don't like fucking harvesting."

"You like smoking them, though."

"Oh, I like smoking them."
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
Donks
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Seeds haven't cracked

Post by Donks »

Hi oly, am i right in thinking you are leaving them in the glass of water? I soak for 24hrs approx then transfer to a damp tissue & place in a lightproof container and put in a warm place. The taproot normally appears within 24 hrs.

ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

Yeah I did that but when the tap root didn't appear after 48 hours I've put them to soak again. It's been 24 hours since they've been soaking for the 2nd time.
I'll definitly plant the one today with the taproot showing slightly but the other still hasn't cracked.

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Same seeds can take longer but usually if they crack slightly and stopped the process are dead..i would gey a couple other seeds going buddy. Unfortunately it happens. Most likely not your fault.

ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

That was my fear, I still have more here. Thanks both for your help. It was the start and stopping of the one that made alarm bells ring. I'll try again today.

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

I've used a similar method to you for years. I think what's happened is to long in the water mate. I do 12 hours only, by 6-8 hours they should have sunk. Then into paper towel for 3 days, i dont open em up at all In that time. Some will take longer as said I'd leave em paper towel, nothing to loose by doing so.

Also I've found I get less germinate in the airing cupboard, especially this time of year, may be a little to warm. Back of a kitchen cupboard or draw does me fine and I normally get 100% success rate doing this.

I've got a vid in the germination section I done. It's basically what your doing but may be worth a watch.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post:
The Shanchez (Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:40 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

I just had a look through the competitions that have started and your not in any, should get stuck in. Lots of nice seeds up for grabs, lots more to be announced, party is on Friday, starts at 7pm. Some comps require entry before, they are in or will be announced in the competitions section. Others will start on the night.

Clunge Muncher
Has thanked: 0

Post by Clunge Muncher »

Straight in the media no messing....

From Me Phone Enit..

Resident armchair grower :D .

ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

Well, I planted the seeds that didn't pop/look stunted. They look very dark compared to the others... I'm guessing now they were too warm in the airing cupboard. Anyway, I've labeled them so I can tell the difference from the others and will let you know if they grow. I currently have two more very light coloured seeds from the same pack soaking in a glass in a box in my attic room which is 21-22C so later on I'll check they sink and paper towel them. I'll keep you up to date...

That video is great, almost the same as what i was doing but being new and impatient I was checking the seeds in the towel before work, after work, after tea, before I shower, after I shower, everytime I pee... I think you get the picture.

Here's the strawberry banana looking successful:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Cannabis Germination & Propagation”