The Importance of Thermal Management

King of the indoor jungle
Invisible Sun

The Importance of Thermal Management

Post by Invisible Sun »

The importance of thermal management

Thermal management is one of the most important aspects of a good quality grow light. The lifetime of an LED is simply dependent on its running temperature.

The hotter the LED runs the less time it will last. If you do not dissipate the heat away from the LED effectively by using a good quality and well weighted heat sink then you could lose 1 or 2 years from the operation of your light.

That's up to16,000 hours of your 50,000 hour life span.

But wait that's not all. . . .

Light / Spectrum Decay, if your LED are not cooled sufficiently you could lose between 10-15% of your total output of umol over a 2 year period. Via decay of the actual phosphorus coating from prolonged over heating the spectrum will deteriorate at a rapid rate, coupled with the loss of umol and 16,000 hours life span its not looking good for your cheap LED unit from the far east..

There is a rise in cheap aluminum profiles being used as heat sinks, extremely light and not fit for purpose, designed to reduce the cost of shipping from the far east, these aluminum profiles do not have the required weight to dissipate heat correctly. They also do not use thermal conductors to assist the removal of heat from the PCB, ideally either thermal paste or tape is a good option, this encourages the heat to escape the PCB. If your LED is creating more heat at the source than your PCB and heat sink (profile) is capable of dissipating, then there will be a back up of heat building up in the LED which will cause Light and Spectrum decay along with a large loss of life span.

Image below : Here is an example of a poor heatsink, very low dissipation rating, too small and light to be effective. Designed for cheaper shipping from China. Will cause loss of spectrum, output and longevity. This extrusion weighs less than 0.80kg and is expected to dissipate 100w of power
A poor heatsink, very low dissipation rating, too small and light to be effective.

Image below : Here is an image of an excellent HEATSINK with high dissipation rates, our very own extrusion used on our F BAR system, as you can see it dwarfs the Chinese variant both in size and weight, 3.3kg in total dissipating 120w of power.

The hotter LED get the bigger the decay curve. To run LED efficiently and reach the run time of 50,000 hours, manufacturers should be aiming for a junction temperature of around 65c or less, this will protect the LED from rapid decay as described above and give them longevity to the end of their 50,000 hour life span.

Using your dissipation rate of your aluminum PCB and the dissipation rate of the HEATSINK you can calculate how large a HEATSINK is required. Initially the PCB then needs to have a dissipation rate of 1.0w.MK or more to move the heat from the PCB into the HEATSINK, any additional help you can give by including thermal paste, lube or tape will be of benefit. Now the rest is up to the heatsink, it needs to be able to dissipate the heat it is receiving quick enough to allow the flow of heat through the metal.

Think of it as a tap slowly running into a sink with an over flow into a bucket. Depending on the rate of flow and the size of the sink and also overflow bucket will be the deciding factor on if you flood your kitchen. However, once your heatsink backs up with too much heat, the heat will start creeping backwards into the PCB and then into the LED.

See illustration below for a good example of thermal management

These users thanked the author Invisible Sun for the post (total 3):
Keeno (Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:13 pm) • Sage (Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:34 pm) • IMO (Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:03 am)
For further information on our products please visit our website www.invisiblesunled.co.uk

Invisible Sun

Re: The Importance of Thermal Management

Post by Invisible Sun »

Feel free to drop any questions on this thread.
These users thanked the author Invisible Sun for the post:
Keeno (Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:13 pm)

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

Is it a good idea to have a fan blowing across these panels,,,,150br,or any of your lights

Invisible Sun

Post by Invisible Sun »

JJ wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:15 pm
Is it a good idea to have a fan blowing across these panels,,,,150br,or any of your lights
Our lights are built to spec but if you want to it wouldn't do any harm
These users thanked the author Invisible Sun for the post:
JJ (Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:42 pm)

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

Just like computer cooling,its important there too, thanks
These users thanked the author JJ for the post:
Invisible Sun (Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:59 am)

Invisible Sun

Post by Invisible Sun »

Absolutely

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

I needed a little more heat in my 1.2/1.2 so i turned the 4r around so that the driver was in front of the fan and not over by the extractor inlet this gave me another degree or so, I’ve always had a fan running over the top of my led to try and push some heat down into the plant area to keep things warm.
Great post Invisible sun explains why the heat sinks are so thick built to last these bad boys 💪, the heat sinks on those F bars are beasts need one of those in my life 😎
These users thanked the author IMO for the post:
Invisible Sun (Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:17 am)

Invisible Sun

Post by Invisible Sun »

IMO wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:12 am
I needed a little more heat in my 1.2/1.2 so i turned the 4r around so that the driver was in front of the fan and not over by the extractor inlet this gave me another degree or so, I’ve always had a fan running over the top of my led to try and push some heat down into the plant area to keep things warm.
Great post Invisible sun explains why the heat sinks are so thick built to last these bad boys 💪, the heat sinks on those F bars are beasts need one of those in my life 😎
Yes a fan will be better to blow hot air back down to the plants. That's a good tip. Thanks

Invisible Sun

Post by Invisible Sun »

IMO wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:12 am
If you want a cheap f bar Iv got 3 which I have used for 1 run. £280 per unit perfect condition an I'll even throw in a year warranty.

Return to “Invisible Sun LED”