Browser?

A place to discuss online security
camkush
GR420 Moobs Of The Year

Browser?

Post by camkush »

So... The US government knows I've grown cannabis, my family knows, and a fair bit of you have seen my face, have my number/email/address, or know my business's name.

Yeah I know total failure but anyone that knows my info typically I've known for years... However would it make sense to get with the smart folks and tech savvy people to use a tor browser(or whatever it is to browse the *Deep web*). Or is it a complete waste at this point? Remember, I'm just a damn farmer I didn't get internet or cable at home till I was 17 I'm wayyy behind on knowledge

Sent from my A502DL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author camkush for the post (total 2):
Guest (Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:27 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:33 pm)
Roll Tide :barmy:
#ProtectDiscord

Philzon   Vape4Ever
2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Re: Browser?

Post by 2-Scoops »

Just for protection against hacks and eavesdropping its an added layer of security i think a vpn is essential these days not just for trying to hide yourself, but the end to end encryption of everything like your financial dealing or personal info it just stops such like as identity theft especially if your using a wifi hotspot it`s an essential bit of kit for sure in that scenario and it will protect your session from possible snoops getting any of your info, it`s not all about trying to be hidden imo.

TOR is ok but slow, i use Ivacy vpn and got a 5 year deal for around £70 English pounds. :) It also hides your ip address from being seen which is another top reason well its most important reason most peeps use them but tbh i think financial side of things and being able to hide what your doing is as important if not more so for many, i do all my banking with VPN turned on.

Oh yes if you wanna be super secret as it gets lets say cus your doing dodgy dealing then running Tor over a bought vpn gives more security and if your proper dodgy then running Tor on top of a bought vpn from a wifi hotspot is way to go. But we aren`t that dodgy are we. :Stoned:

And even more secretative then as above but just buy your open vpn paying with bitcoin bought over a Tor network runnimng on a wifi hotspot and then run Tor over top of the Open VPN . Tinfoil hatter comes to mind with that one. :lol:
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 4):
Solo Forager336 (Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:34 am) • Jayme Ream (Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:09 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:33 pm) • Garlic Man (Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:41 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

I think Jimmi got you covered Cam, Lots of big words in that post 😂.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 2):
Guest (Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:25 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:37 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

A free and simple quick fix is to use summink like the Opera browser that has a built in vpn and is much faster than Tor, that said i think these free vpns ,well i would pretty much sure they log some of your data if not all your traffic and data, ok maybe not to check and make sure your doing nowt dodgy but more for purposes of marketing adds and all that crap, you don`t get owt for nowt these days do you . 8-)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Solo Forager336 (Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:36 am)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Keeno wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:34 am
"Super secret" are my fave 2 words in their. 8-)

And where`s my standard smiley face gone too, its dissapeared man :roll eyes:

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

jimmi2scoops wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:41 am
Keeno wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:34 am
"Super secret" are my fave 2 words in their. 8-)

And where`s my standard smiley face gone too, its dissapeared man :roll eyes:
I'm looking to do a complete overhaul on smilies this week Jimmi. If he dont pop up again there will be a better replacement.

It's all good advice, way above what I know. Pays to be safe these days. As you say more so for financial dealing and private info than anything else. Dodgy bastards everywhere out there, especially these scam callers looking to get access to computers etc. I was watching some guy who is well clued up the other day who hacks em back and wipes their computers, funny as fook 😂.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

jimmi2scoops wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:14 am
Just for protection against hacks and eavesdropping its an added layer of security i think a vpn is essential these days not just for trying to hide yourself, but the end to end encryption of everything like your financial dealing or personal info it just stops such like as identity theft especially if your using a wifi hotspot it`s an essential bit of kit for sure in that scenario and it will protect your session from possible snoops getting any of your info, it`s not all about trying to be hidden imo.

TOR is ok but slow, i use Ivacy vpn and got a 5 year deal for around £70 English pounds. :) It also hides your ip address from being seen which is another top reason well its most important reason most peeps use them but tbh i think financial side of things and being able to hide what your doing is as important if not more so for many, i do all my banking with VPN turned on.

Oh yes if you wanna be super secret as it gets lets say cus your doing dodgy dealing then running Tor over a bought vpn gives more security and if your proper dodgy then running Tor on top of a bought vpn from a wifi hotspot is way to go. But we aren`t that dodgy are we. :Stoned:

And even more secretative then as above but just buy your open vpn paying with bitcoin bought over a Tor network runnimng on a wifi hotspot and then run Tor over top of the Open VPN . Tinfoil hatter comes to mind with that one. :lol:
Sounds like a castle with fortified walls and massive guns but with a straw gate :) all the above protects you from eavesdropping in transit but SSL does the same. Let's play devils advocate and say I'm working for Scotland Yard and have been tasked with decloaking users here. I'd be attacking this site and your browsers to grab your real IP. Don't matter how many layers of security you have on your network. I'd probably leave some obscure code maybe burried in an image or if I managed to compromise the forum, add some code to the homepage that grabs your real IP, geolocation data plus things like screen resolution and anything else that could be used to identify you at a later date, then have it call some service burried on the darknet and save it to a database.

My advise would be don't be so paranoid :) If you're on public WIFI and banking without a VPN, MITM attacks are hard due to SSL so a VPN doesn't offer any more protection IMO. The only good thing about a VPN is it hides activity from your ISP and allows you to pretend your in another country to circumvent geofenced services.

Yes I said it, VPN is a waste of money IMO :) Unless you're downloading a shit load of pirated torrents. I'm planning on continuing my security posts at a later date. I'll post a little about potential attacks and what you can do to slow these guys down.

TOR offers a zero trust model unlike a VPN where you're relying on the VPN provider not logging and not being compromised. But, TOR is vulnerable to a number of attacks that can be used to decloak someone. They're all very expensice and hard to carry out but if you're Mr big then three letter agencies will invest the time. If you look at how most people get caught selling stuff on the darkweb, most were caught using a browser exploit or some sort of timing correlation attack.

Hope this makes things a little clearer :)
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
Herbalist (Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:42 am)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

So if im running an ovpn over Tor are you saying it`s useless and not worth it cus i can be found all too easily if running it for that reason ?

As for wifi hotspot and ssl banking yes cool the banking site is ssl. But what about peeps sat at wifi hotspot trying to crack into your lappy or phone cus it`s an open network to get everythjing they can off and from your computer so by you banking thinking this ssl has secured the hotspot they then have your passwords or is that not possible, but i always thought using a ovpn prevents this, but average joe is clueless hence why it happens, not that i use hotspots without a vpn turned on.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

jimmi2scoops wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:38 pm
So if im running an ovpn over Tor are you saying it`s useless and not worth it cus i can be found all too easily if running it for that reason ?

As for wifi hotspot and ssl banking yes cool the banking site is ssl. But what about peeps sat at wifi hotspot trying to crack into your lappy or phone cus it`s an open network to get everythjing they can off and from your computer so by you banking thinking this ssl has secured the hotspot they then have your passwords or is that not possible, but i always thought using a ovpn prevents this, but average joe is clueless hence why it happens, not that i use hotspots without a vpn turned on.
TOR over OpenVPN doesn't offer any security benefits over just using TOR.

If you're using a VPN on a public hotspot your computer is still connected to the wifi and has a local IP. So VPN or anything else won't protect you from local attacks. SSL works on a chain on trust so it's very hard to spoof the SSL and not have your browser throw a wobbly. The common attack over public networks is an ARP spoof attack. That tricks your browser into sending all traffic via the attackers device but if you're using SSL they ain't getting shit. I can write a script, ad-hoc to scan and test for known vulnerabilities and check to see if your device is vulnerable within 15 mins and scan the whole CIDR range of most public within minutes.

Trust me, a VPN doesn't have much to offer in the scenario's above. OpenVPN is considered to be more secure then IPSec due to it's ability to use stronger ciphers for encryption but they are not more secure than strong SSL.
Last edited by seymore_budz on Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Here's Tom Scott explaining a little about VPN's and debunking some of the myths.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
Herbalist (Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:57 pm)

Return to “Online Security”