Idea for stealth door lock?

A place to discuss growing security
Vador
Known User

Idea for stealth door lock?

Post by Vador »

Hey
Here’s one for all you mechanically minded people out there.
I’m trying to build a locking interior door handle that has no visible locks, basically if a guest or worker was to try the handle it would go down but the door won’t open.
When you want to get in you place a magnet on top of the handle and a steel pin pops into place allowing the handle to turn the mechanism.

These aren’t the exact handle but near enough, the only picture I seen on a quick search that had all the bits.

Ok so my general idea is to make a new metal spindle out of a non magnetic material, the normal spindle has 4 sides, my one will be the same one end so I don’t lock myself in the groom but the other end will be rounded off in the lathe so that it turns inside the handle.
Then just need to drill out a hole for a steel pin to sit in.

Should work perfectly, what do you all think? Anyone got a better idea?
These users thanked the author Vador for the post (total 2):
GMO (Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:09 pm) • Inactive account (Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:39 pm)
░█▒█▒▄▀▄░█▀▄░▄▀▄▒█▀▄
░▀▄▀░█▀█▒█▄▀░▀▄▀░█▀▄

Drugs and Alcohol are never the answer! Unless the question was “what am I doing tonight”.

MrNice
Respected Member

Re: Idea for stealth door lock?

Post by MrNice »

easy vad use a Mag Lock on the inside of the door hide the switch that turns it on and off some where

An electromagnetic lock, magnetic lock, or maglock is a locking device that consists of an electromagnet and an armature plate. There are two main types of electric locking devices. Locking devices can be either "fail safe" or "fail secure". A fail-secure locking device remains locked when power is lost.
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 4):
Vador (Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:25 pm) • Tictok (Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:16 am) • Herbalist (Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:17 am) • Guest (Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:36 pm)

Finchmad_79
Known User

Post by Finchmad_79 »

@Momma bear
has funky lock on her bud closet
These users thanked the author Finchmad_79 for the post (total 2):
Vador (Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:25 pm) • Stickylemonz (Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:34 pm)

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

MrNice wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:17 pm
easy vad use a Mag Lock on the inside of the door hide the switch that turns it on and off some where

An electromagnetic lock, magnetic lock, or maglock is a locking device that consists of an electromagnet and an armature plate. There are two main types of electric locking devices. Locking devices can be either "fail safe" or "fail secure". A fail-secure locking device remains locked when power is lost.
I hear you mn and have thought about that route but I’m worried about getting locked out, I’d rather a mechanical device in the handle. That way if it locks out nobody can enter still but all I have to do is remove 4 screws from the handle and I can get in.
With the maglock set to fail safe in a power failure anyone can walk in and you can bet your bottom dollar it’ll fail when you least want it to, fail sure it’ll lock me out one day it’s just a matter of when, again you can guarantee it’ll be at the worst time possible.

Whatever I make needs to be accessible by just removing the door handle.

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Finchmad_79 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:19 pm
@Momma bear
Nice I’ll have to try and find that

Stickylemonz
Known User

Post by Stickylemonz »

Finchmad_79 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:19 pm
@Momma bear
That thing looks brilliant

MommaB
Plant Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by MommaB »

ohhh I definitely got you..its on amazon and as soon as i get off podcast Ill up load the link..its a keyless entry lock..so to unlock my weed cabinet I wave a card or a circle that goes on my key chain.. battery ran and has worked perfectly.
These users thanked the author MommaB for the post:
Stickylemonz (Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:54 pm)
A Heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others- The Wizard of Oz

Stickylemonz
Known User

Post by Stickylemonz »

Momma bear wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:49 pm
ohhh I definitely got you..its on amazon and as soon as i get off podcast Ill up load the link..its a keyless entry lock..so to unlock my weed cabinet I wave a card or a circle that goes on my key chain.. battery ran and has worked perfectly.
Do you have to change battery’s a lot and did you get more then 1 key card thing, also momma what time is pod tonight:) hope your well!

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Momma bear wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:49 pm
Sounds interesting, thank you.
when it’s locked and you pull the handle will the handle move or will it lock in the up position?

I want to give the impression it’s a faulty mechanism and there’s a knack to opening it, when someone tries it I want the handle to move down still but the mechanism doesn’t open the door if that makes sense
These users thanked the author Vador for the post:
Stickylemonz (Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:29 pm)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Vador wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:25 pm
MrNice wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:17 pm

An electromagnetic lock, magnetic lock, or maglock is a locking device that consists of an electromagnet and an armature plate. There are two main types of electric locking devices. Locking devices can be either "fail safe" or "fail secure". powerA fail-secure locking device remains locked when is lost.
I hear you mn and have thought about that route but I’m worried about getting locked out, I’d rather a mechanical device in the handle. That way if it locks out nobody can enter still but all I have to do is remove 4 screws from the handle and I can get in.
With the maglock set to fail safe in a power failure anyone can walk in and you can bet your bottom dollar it’ll fail when you least want it to, fail sure it’ll lock me out one day it’s just a matter of when, again you can guarantee it’ll be at the worst time possible.

Whatever I make needs to be accessible by just removing the door handle.
Vad a "powerA fail-secure locking device remains locked when is lost"

other words to unlock you need to supply power to it to open no power door stays locked think its 12v
can with stand 250kg of force vad

beleive me the door will give before the mag lock

Return to “Growing Security”