Welcome to the cannabis school for new growers section. In this section you can ask and get answers to questions about growing cannabis. Whether you are are new to growing cannabis or thinking about getting into the hobby, there are no silly questions so ask away. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Cannabis defoliation in flowering

A place for new grower to ask questions and learn about growing cannabis
Bulls
Coco Grower

Cannabis defoliation in flowering

Post by Bulls »

Hi GrowRoom420

We all have our ways of doing things so I thought I'd show you mine. I won't be using complicated terms as I don't know them myself :lol: and will try and keep it as simple as possible for a novice grower to understand.

Removing anything from your beautiful plant can be a stressful mission. Especially when you're doing it for the 1st time. Truth is that you can't hurt your plant a lot no matter what you're doing.

The level of defoliation really depends on the lights you're using and the penetration. For example HPS has better penetration than LED lights (some of the new LEDS are as good as HPS but obviously not the cheap ones)
So when you go ahead and start stripping your lower growth try and be at the same level as the base of the plant.

I start from the very bottom and remove all the big fan leaves which are situated at the bottom 1/3 of the plant. That helps me see a bit better to what's going on. Then using clean scissors I'd start clearing all the tiny small branches that are not making it to the top of the plant. You don't need them. They will never mature but still use energy to try and create buds. I also strip all the small fluff that's appearing.

My next step would be to add canes. I use the ones from B&Q which are 60cm I think. I'd just push them into the coco and won't be worried that I'd damage the roots. I am sure there is plenty of them in the pot.

I try and add a cane for each of the external branches and few canes for support in the middle for the more wanky stems.

You can also remove all the pipe cleaners or wire that you have used for LST once you've tied your stems to the stakes.

My final step would be to stand up and look at the plant from above.

I've created a personal rule where I don't remove the two very top fan leaves on a branch. If I decide some of the lower ones, which are situated above the 1/3 of the plant that we already cleared, needs removing I'd do it and try to expose as much as possible of the lower growth.

So that's about it really. It's a slow process which requires time..I'd say nearly as much time as when I am chopping :lol:
But it's rewarding which is most important. We all like to smoke fully matured nice buds and get the best of each strain..so after all the effort we put into a grow..why not make that final step.

Here you can see how defoliated and supported plant looks compared to the ones I haven't done yet.

These users thanked the author Bulls for the post (total 8):
TTL (Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:07 pm) • Nanook (Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:13 pm) • Greenfingers (Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:23 pm) • Keeno (Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:27 pm) • Marcus (Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:06 pm) • kbag (Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:13 am) • GreenCloud (Wed May 13, 2020 7:09 pm) • Elijah Growz (Thu May 14, 2020 3:06 pm)

TTL
Known User

Re: Cannabis defoliation in flowering

Post by TTL »

Great info. Thanks for sharing!
These users thanked the author TTL for the post:
Bulls (Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:09 pm)

Greenfingers
Known User

Post by Greenfingers »

Nice one Bull and thanks for taking the time
These users thanked the author Greenfingers for the post:
Bulls (Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:44 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Very cool write up Bulls. I learned from you with regards to defoliating and I've never looked back. Definitely worth doing.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post:
Bulls (Thu May 14, 2020 2:04 pm)

Southwest420
Known User

Post by Southwest420 »

Wish I read this at the start!

Always next time

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

STAY BLESSED GANG🙌🙏

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

Nice one bro lots of good info in here

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Gward20

Post by Gward20 »

How long in to flower would you do this mate ?

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Gward20 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:14 am
How long in to flower would you do this mate ?
Sorry for late reply. I'd do that about 2 maximum 3 weeks from flip. Otherwise they start getting heavy and wanky and also waste energy on lower growth.

Return to “Canna School for Newbies!”