Welcome to the cannabis school for new growers section. In this section you can ask and get answers to questions about growing cannabis. Whether you are are new to growing cannabis or thinking about getting into the hobby, there are no silly questions so ask away. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Bud rot and large gardens

A place for new grower to ask questions and learn about growing cannabis
Tictok
Known User

Bud rot and large gardens

Post by Tictok »

Hey GR420

I have a real beginner question if you don't mind.

When I see all that bud packed in all you pro growers gardens, do you not worry about bud rot or is it strain dependant?

As a beginner my 2 autos have filled my 2 x 2 tent and I'm paranoid about bud rot, but then I see you guys with your giant gardens, all packed full of flower way more than mine.

Is it just a matter of keeping humidity below 50% then you can pack them in along with some air flow?

I appreciate it's first grow paranoia for me but any thoughts on this would be great.

Many thanks

Dex
Known User

Re: Bud rot and large gardens

Post by Dex »

Hey buddy I'm no pro by far so don't take my word for true this is from my experience...

Since I put the hps aside and went crazy with cobs I been having humidity of around 70 and 80s rh in flower and haven't had rot yet and I think the main reason is I do

little defoliation of fan leafs to allow air to move more freely between branches/buds (more importantly in bulking stage of flower)

I have a and allways have a or two oscillation fans that makes them jiggle 247 lights kn and off.

Fresh air exchange is very important too so make sure you got good negative pressure in the grow area and good oscillation and you should be dandy no matter humidity...

Most importantly remeber dexy has only got two hand full of years in canna growing experience and would rather you realy listen to someone who has ad more ..

I been good for both handfulla years without a sight of rot or pm :D

Hope this helps ya buddy

Oh and no question is a beginner's/dumb question we are all noobs no matter how many years xp belts we have

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Dex is absolutely right.
Keeping low humidity is a key factor but it's not always possible.
To maintain low humidity is sometimes impossible due to ambient RH. Your only option might be a dehumidifier.
But even then it's not a guarantee. Your plants need fresh air. Most of us use passive intake(means they don't have an active fan pushing fresh air into the tent) and fresh air gets sucked through vents and all sorts. It only takes a single spore to reach inside your tent/grow place to start the process.
What I'd suggest is filtrating the incoming air also via carbon filter and active fan ( make sure you maintain negative pressure in the tent)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

little side note for rot too. it usually takes hold early to mid flower at the stem and generally you wont know its there as the spore will attach and then your buds grow around the site and give its the warms dark and humidity to get to work. point being that bud rot usually takes hold or affects a grow long before we discover the results of bud rot

safety option is as mentioned to ALWAYS have that good air flow and controlled RH as soon as into flower :D
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Been growing near on 20 years and in bloom late on my humidity is 70 -80rh + and ive only had bud rot once in a small room with a very small oscilating fan, basically imo it`s not about high humidity but keep air movement flowing around the room and buds with a good oscilating fan. Summink overlooked lots by growers and imo best and most cost effective wayu of preventing bud rot is a good oscilating fan providing good air movement along with you extraction and air exchange, Basically keep that air exchange and air movement flowing and you`ll be laughing 99 outa 100. :)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Yes, I have 2 osc. fans blowing opposite each other both sides of the tent. I've noticed that usually heat spots are very good place for bud rot.

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Thank you all, really appreciate the info. Hopefully I should be covered as have an oscillating fan in both tents and negative pressure with a passive intake.

I think the noob in me was thinking as soon as I go over 50RH I'd be buggered.

Dex
Known User

Post by Dex »

Tictok wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:30 pm
Thank you all, really appreciate the info. Hopefully I should be covered as have an oscillating fan in both tents and negative pressure with a passive intake.

I think the noob in me was thinking as soon as I go over 50RH I'd be buggered.
I'm glad your at ease now buddy and reading stuff online is crazy and can send you loopy, allways best to ask here seems to have some peeps that I know from else where and these helped me be at ease and grow like I do

So I obviously shot away with millions of questions lol

Return to “Canna School for Newbies!”