Welcome to the cannabis school for new growers section. In this section you can ask and get answers to questions about growing cannabis. Whether you are are new to growing cannabis or thinking about getting into the hobby, there are no silly questions so ask away. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Does Fertilizer Kill Soil Bacteria?

A place for new grower to ask questions and learn about growing cannabis
The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Does Fertilizer Kill Soil Bacteria?

Post by The Aspie Toker »

Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Re: Does Fertilizer Kill Soil Bacteria?

Post by seymore_budz »

I'm about to buy Jeff Lowenfels books. He seems like a knowledge guy. I've been posting a couple of his videos in the media section. Great read, thanks for posting!
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Agreed! I think we over think and under think some of how we grow.

Staring over from scratch now and again helps us work out what's really important and hopefully gives us a better understanding of what's really going on

translated from the bongo of the canna jungle

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

Imo salts from non organic fert prbly do kill some of the bacteria, but a good compost tea from worm castings would fix that for sure. I'm running an ammended soil right now and it's one of my easiest and healthiest grows so far.

If I run into issues that need immediate fixing in late flower I'd rather use whatever ferts I have to, and just re-innoculate afterwards. Interesting topic though, mon the conversation!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

integrajosh wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:58 am
If I run into issues that need immediate fixing in late flower I'd rather use whatever ferts I have to, and just re-innoculate afterwards.
I've done that myself.

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Soil is very complicated. I'd rather sit down, watch and read you guys discussing it and hopefully learn something new.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

integrajosh wrote:
Imo salts from non organic fert prbly do kill some of the bacteria, but a good compost tea from worm castings would fix that for sure. I'm running an ammended soil right now and it's one of my easiest and healthiest grows so far.

If I run into issues that need immediate fixing in late flower I'd rather use whatever ferts I have to, and just re-innoculate afterwards. Interesting topic though, mon the conversation!

There's no chemical salts in your fert mix once its made up and mixed with water the salts separate into ions in your fert mix, the exact same ions that are in an organic fert mix. Do you think micro-life can tell difference, nope they just feast on them, neither can science tell difference between organic or mineral based fertilizer ions.

Check the link out in the first post it goes into it much deeper, a very good read indeed. :)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

jimmi2scoops wrote:
integrajosh wrote:

There's no chemical salts in your fert mix once its made up and mixed with water the salts seperate into ions in your fert mix, the exact same ions that are in an organic fert mix. Do you think microlife can tell difference, nope they just feast on them, neither can science tell difference between organic or mineral based fertilizer ions.

Check the link out in the first post it goes into it much deeper, a very good read indeed. :)
I think "salts" is a bad term, The buildup on my dwc reservoir says otherwise about it being ok though I'll look at what you said though, interesting opinion.

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Rightio!! ive had my eyes opened to some stuff and again i dont think the fertilizers directly kill bacteria or fungi BUT!!!!! a plant can and will become reliant on a gardener feeding fertilizers to a plant which in turn made the plant disinterested in feeding mirco fauna/flora which WILL kill them

food for thought.... pun intended

Return to “Canna School for Newbies!”