Welcome to the cannabis school for new growers section. In this section you can ask and get answers to questions about growing cannabis. Whether you are are new to growing cannabis or thinking about getting into the hobby, there are no silly questions so ask away. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

When I Add PK

A place for new grower to ask questions and learn about growing cannabis
Keeno
Site Admin

When I Add PK

Post by Keeno »

Wassup GR420. I often get asked what PK I use, when, for how long. So I figured id do a post with what I fo and why. This is based around coco growing as that's my chosen medium.

What is a PK product:

PK which stands for Phosphorus and Potassium, yep, neither start with a K... :lol:. These 2 nutrients are crucial to the flowering cycle. As your plant transitions into true flower these are the nutrients they will start to need. This is why you will see slogans about "big yields", and "big flowers", plastered over labels of PK products in your local hydroponic shop. In truth these products are just providing the essential nutrients at the same time, some do it better than others, but that's another conversation. The basics of it are that flowering plants need increased levels of Phosphorus and Potassium, PK products will give them this.

When to use:

Depending on the product, the instructions will be different. But in true stoner style, we make it up as we go along, and rightly so :barmy:. A really good example of this is how I use PK. One of my chosen PK products in Canna PK 13/14, I've just had a look at the website for instructions as I've just realized I've not got a clue what the label actually says. Canna recommends that the product is used for 3 - 6 days 3 weeks before harvest. In all my years growing I've not heard of it being used like that, not the way I was taught, or the way the growers around me were using it.

One of the common ways I've seen growers use these products is to add once they see their plants in true flower. On average this will be 14-21 days from changing the lighting cycle to one suited to induce flower. It makes sense, the plants need more Phosphorus and Potassium for flower, they are now it true flower, hit them with it. Over the years of doing this it started to occur to me that when we see the plants going into true flower, they have already gone through huge hormone changes to start this process. What we are seeing is the end result of these changes.

Based on the above I started to use PK from day 1 of the flowering light cycle, in small amounts, but straight away. One thing I noticed straight away was plants getting into true flowers much quicker. Instead of the 2 - 3 weeks, I was now seeing true flower in 1 -2 weeks, I had one grow recently go as fast as day 5 of the flowering light cycle. After a few years of growing like this I'm of the firm belief that having a small amount of PK available in your plant feed from day 1 flower will mean they have the extra Phosphorus and Potassium the second they need it, not when we see they need it. An extra week or 2 in flower over a 10 week flowering cycle on average is a long time.

The amount I feed:

This will vary from grower to grower, system to system, product to product. I get asked a lot so Ill list what I use based on the above thinking.

I use Canna PK 13/14 primarily, it's a cheap, tried, tested, and proven product. Before I started adding PK from day 1 of the flowering light cycle, Id add 0.5ml of Canna PK 13/14 once I see true flower, run for a few weeks, then change to another product. I now stick to a set of numbers that work well no matter the strain I'm growing.

Day 1 - 5 of 12/12: 0.25ml per litre of water.
day 6 - 10 of 12/12: 0.4ml per litre of water.
Days 11 - 21 of 12/12: 0.5ml per litre of water.

I adjust the base nutrients around this as needed.

After day 21 of the flowering cycle ill change the product to a lower ratio PK product. Many of these are not labeled as "PK" products, flower enhancers, or boosts, are names they often fall under. Higher ratios of PK for long periods through the flowering cycle can cause issues, mainly aging of plants early. You obviously don't want this. You can just reduce the amounts per litre of your chosen product, I prefer switching to a different product. A really good product that's a great addition
to the flowering cycle, has been around for years, isn't too high in its ratios of PK, cheap as chips, is Vitalink Buddy. It's got some other goodies in there too.

Since using PK the way I describe above I've definitely noticed a faster transition to true flower.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post:
wutang (Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:16 pm)

Vador
Known User

Re: When I Add PK

Post by Vador »

Nice bit of info there keeno, ive seen a couple of you guys using pk throughout flower with great results.
I use buddy throughout and pk for a week near the end when they are packing on weight, both ways are seem to be pretty much the same though just you only need one product. Buddy might have a few extra ingredients but i dont think it really notices tbh, must help a little though i guess but the truth is in the pudding, ive seen your grows and your plants respond well to what you do.
These users thanked the author Vador for the post:
Keeno (Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:49 am)
░█▒█▒▄▀▄░█▀▄░▄▀▄▒█▀▄
░▀▄▀░█▀█▒█▄▀░▀▄▀░█▀▄

Drugs and Alcohol are never the answer! Unless the question was “what am I doing tonight”.

fabi420

Post by fabi420 »

This is a very good writing, nice to read. 💪 I never used pk, but if I ever again use liquid fertilizers, I will give it a try 🤔

ps: Potassium means Kalium in German, there is your K :D
These users thanked the author fabi420 for the post:
FLO & H2O !

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

fabi420 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:57 am
ps: Potassium means Kalium in German, there is your K :D
Lol that explains it. Cheers @fabi420
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Theirs nowt writ in stone with instructions for using this one so long as its not overdone, it can be used as an early, mid, late or all way through typo booster. Myself i use similar dosage to Keeno but I've only ever used it and have always used it the last 3 weeks when buds are really popping before i put plants on water only for last 2 weeks, so lets say i use it as a mid to late boost. I may try it from day one for a week or two as well after reading this post.

One thing i do know using this stuff if its overdone your joints always going out and is a bit harsh on neck when having a smoke, hence why a proper flush is needed at end of your grow.

Good post Keeno man. :nice:
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

I like a splash of PK in my tea.

My plants do get half a ml a L from about week 3 flower these days till flush week, I drop the A+B by half a ml too so as not to overdo the grub and burn them when I add it.

I do like Plagron's Green Sensation though, but it's expensive and I've run out. I have run that at half a ml / L all through flower and had some stonking great donkey cocks.

:running-around:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post:

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

Just get some lovely worms and let them poop in yours pots and you won’t need PK simples 🤷🏻
These users thanked the author IMO for the post:

Return to “Canna School for Newbies!”