Welcome to the cannabis school for new growers section. In this section you can ask and get answers to questions about growing cannabis. Whether you are are new to growing cannabis or thinking about getting into the hobby, there are no silly questions so ask away. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

When do you take cuts or clones

A place for new grower to ask questions and learn about growing cannabis
GMO
GR420 Leg End

When do you take cuts or clones

Post by GMO »

Hi everyone

As the title says, when and how do you all take from a plant?

Is it worth taking earlier so the plant remains in veg

Or is it Better to take during/after flip?

How and when do you do it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

β€œIf you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Philzon   Vape4Ever
Hobbit
Has thanked: 0

Re: When do you take cuts or clones

Post by Hobbit »

GMO wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:38 am
Hi everyone

As the title says, when and how do you all take from a plant?

Is it worth taking earlier so the plant remains in veg

Or is it Better to take during/after flip?

How and when do you do it?

Sometimes you dont know which plants you want cuts from till they well i flower mate. Isnt really a right or wrong time , though the further into flower the slower to root for obvious reasons. I will say that semi hard wood cuttings suffer less through the process than if they are soft wood cuttings. These cuts took 6 days too root, they are pictured here at 14 days semi hard wood. the mother plant was a cut also but took 14 days to root because i took her from a plant in flower.

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

I usually prefer to take my cuttings from cannabis plants a bit earlier. The reason for that is sometimes some take longer to root. With flowering cuttings - they take different times to reveg. Once rooted in my aeroprop they can go in small soil pots and stay like that until they got even growth. This guarantees me 4 equally looking plants. That is the main reason why most of my grows look identical.

ShitsNgiggles

Post by ShitsNgiggles »

What do you want to achieve with your clone? I think this is most important. Monster crop of flowering clone for an aggressive re vege style growth. Unpredictable but with HST an excellent tek for large bushy plants that require a lot of training.

Vege clone. Taken from lower branches, seem to root better. A preferred mother in vege. Clone taken for A: a second plant to grow and harvest b: a seed breeder. 😍😍😍

Now if we take a few clones from the one mum and reverse one, incept a couple. Tenwe can have a femme strain fairly representative of the original mother.

Alternatively clones of males and females be taken for breeding. This reduces stable size as a cloned male comparatively is smaller and easier to.manage and isolate. Then either male pollen collected,stored and applied or open flowering into female clones. Open flowering in greenhouse or indoors. Never open flower outdoors your neighbour will not appreciate it.

Clones taken from a mother to grow out bud. Ie mother kept in.vege and clones flowered.

That's off top of my head. Probably missed something but meh. Hope it helps. 😸😊
Last edited by ShitsNgiggles on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShitsNgiggles

Post by ShitsNgiggles »

What do you want to achieve with your clone? I think this is most important. Monster crop of flowering clone for an aggressive re vege style growth. Unpredictable but with HST an excellent tek for large bushy plants that require a lot of training.

Vege clone. Taken from lower branches, seem to root better. A preferred mother in vege. Clone taken for A: a second plant to grow and harvest b: a seed breeder. 😍😍😍

Now if we take a few clones from the one mum and reverse one, incept a couple. Then we can have a femme strain fairly representative of the original mother.

Alternatively clones of males and females be taken for breeding. This reduces stable size as a cloned male comparatively is smaller and easier to.manage and isolate. Then either male pollen collected,stored and applied or open flowering into female clones. Open flowering in greenhouse or indoors. Never open flower outdoors your neighbour will not appreciate it.

Clones taken from a mother to grow out bud. Ie mother kept in vege and clones flowered.

That's off top of my head. Probably missed something but meh. Hope it helps. 😸😊

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Helped me alot its something i need to add to my arsenal and to complete my aim of being completely self sufficient with a nice calculated cycle, Thanks for the info I also highly rated your Breeding thread mate so Kudos

Cheers

Smokes
🍁 Who Jah Bless No Man Curse 🍁

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Thanks very much everyone for your input

I am one who typically takes clones 2 weeks after 12/12 while clearing under skirt stuff

I find it give me time to try again if the first fail and a reasonable amount of veg to be sure she is strong before the original is chopped and dried

My main purpose is to not lose genes after they have been tried and tested and allow the same flavours to be re run with easy (hopefully)

It appears there are many methods and reason behind them

Any more input would be great as it's good to know how everyone else does it

Thanks everyone

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Viz wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:42 am
I like to take them two weeks after I have flipped the mother plants.

Reason why; clones taken while in flower cycle seem to be way more bushy than those taken during veg cycle. Lots of side shoots and this results in multiple heads. Good for SOG or SCROG too.
This is my preferred method, as Viz says a lot bushier for some reason :)
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

i take my cuttings straight off me mums as + when i want them..... to achieve the mum ready for taking a cutt,i normally grow the seed out until it produces 9 fingers on the shade leaf around 4 weeks in my case... but some buggers will go 11 blades or even 13 reaching maturity......then i take a decent shoot offa the top with the 7 / 9 / 11 / 13 blades on then root it and keep the bugger........taking cutting from a flowering plant !! it takes a few months to get them sweet again properly vegging away see. atb :Stoned:

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Great read guys. I'm pretty new to clones and mums so all very helpful.

I'll be taking mine tomorrow which is 4 and a half weeks flower. I figured up to 14 days to root, couple weeks in 5 inch soil pots then straight into 10l coco. I'll probably end up taking a little earlier next cycle.

Return to β€œCanna School for Newbies!”