Welcome to the cannabis school for new growers section. In this section you can ask and get answers to questions about growing cannabis. Whether you are are new to growing cannabis or thinking about getting into the hobby, there are no silly questions so ask away. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Time of day to chop?

A place for new grower to ask questions and learn about growing cannabis
Growmie

Time of day to chop?

Post by Growmie »

Hey all,

So, I got too excited and wasn't really thinking and ended up chopping my plants midway through their lights up. Honestly I wasn't really bothered about giving them a 24-72 hour dark period before hand, but on further reading, most people seem to say that you should harvest just before lights come up to make sure the THC and Terps are at the highest and the plant isn't flooded with Chlorophyll.
So now it's got me worrying I've ruined my first crop with a rookie error.
Is that the case or am I just worrying over nothing?
I have a couple more auto to get the chop soon and if I messed up this time I'd like to know when is best.
Also if you guys really suggest a dark period of course I'll listen.

Thanks for any input, it was making it hard to sleep last night πŸ˜…
These users thanked the author Growmie for the post (total 4):
Wardrobe Farming (Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:51 am) • Stickylemonz (Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:03 pm) • duke (Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:50 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:20 pm)

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
Wardrobe Farming

Re: Time of day to chop?

Post by Wardrobe Farming »

Sounds like you have done your research to be fair.
I always try to give a day or 2 in darkness where possible but can't say I notice a difference. If they don't get that then I will always try and get them before lights come on. That said I have taken the odd plant or 2 when lights have been on and they still come out just as good in my opinion. If either technique makes a difference it is not noticeable in my end results. I reckon most of the taste is make or break in the drying process to be fair. I should add my room isn't ridiculously warm so if you are under hps or in a really hot area then it may be different but I definitely would not be worried if I was you. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your smoke!
These users thanked the author Wardrobe Farming for the post (total 2):
Growmie (Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:27 am) • duke (Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:51 pm)

Growmie

Post by Growmie »

Wardrobe Farming wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:51 am
I always try to give a day or 2 in darkness where possible but can't say I notice a difference. If they don't get that then I will always try and get them before lights come on. That said I have taken the odd plant or 2 when lights have been on and they still come out just as good in my opinion. If either technique makes a difference it is not noticeable in my end results. I reckon most of the taste is make or break in the drying process to be fair. I should add my room isn't ridiculously warm so if you are under hps or in a really hot area then it may be different but I definitely would not be worried if I was you. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your smoke!
Thanks alot for the info mate and putting my mind at rest. I have them slow drying about 19-20C at between 50-60 humidity but I'm still getting this really green/grass possibly even hay smell? It smelled dank at first but I'm starting to get worried. I understand the Chlorophyll needs time to break down but I'm wondering if my airflow isn't good enough. Luckily it doesn't seem there is any mould or mildew from smell or sight but it's still worrying me. Not really sure what to do other than wait it out and hope? Lol.
These users thanked the author Growmie for the post (total 2):
Wardrobe Farming (Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:35 am) • duke (Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:51 pm)

Wardrobe Farming

Post by Wardrobe Farming »

Growmie wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:29 am
Wardrobe Farming wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:51 am
Thanks alot for the info mate and putting my mind at rest. I have them slow drying about 19-20C at between 50-60 humidity but I'm still getting this really green/grass possibly even hay smell? It smelled dank at first but I'm starting to get worried. I understand the Chlorophyll needs time to break down but I'm wondering if my airflow isn't good enough. Luckily it doesn't seem there is any mould or mildew from smell or sight but it's still worrying me. Not really sure what to do other than wait it out and hope? Lol.
It is always a worry when you are chasing that smell to knock your socks off and you get a hint of hay. 2 years later I still worry. The big thing I have noticed is some strains really have that dank smell and some just don't. Your environment sounds spot on to me tho, low and slow. I personally don't have much if any airflow in my drying space and have never had an issue. When it comes time to trim you get a good sense of what smells each plant holds. I find when doing a full plant hang dry the fan leaves can give of a hay smell while the buds still smell good so it might not be a loss just yet. A long cure definitely helps bring out other flavours but if it is going to smell like hay you will know instantly, a cure doesn't really fix that in my experience. I think waiting it out is all you really can do, just make sure to catch it before it gets to dry. You can always dry it more if needed but can't really add moisture if its gone to far. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and wouldn't mind an update when you are giving it a trim.

Wouldn't mind hearing anyone else with more experience chip in tho. See if there is anything else that might help.
These users thanked the author Wardrobe Farming for the post (total 2):
Growmie (Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:08 pm) • duke (Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:52 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Growmie wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:28 am
most people seem to say that you should harvest just before lights come up to make sure the THC and Terps are at the highest and the plant isn't flooded with Chlorophyll
Never heard that before.

THC will be at the highest when the trichomes are just starting to cloud over. The clouding is senescence and a sign that the compounds are converting into other compounds as they oxidise. This point is when they are most psychoactive. Trich heads should be swollen looking like they'll fall off their stalks.

I'd say chop whenever you want, mid day, late evening, early morning. Should make no difference.

Just hang them and leave them, don't worry about the hay smell it's just a part of drying. Jar them up when they feel dry on the outside and the little stalks snap. Any funk you think has been lost from the plants will soon come back with a regular burping schedule.

AND don't overthink or worry about it. :wave: They'll be just find and dandy. :viking:

They dry dope on hot rocks in the sun over in Jamaica, that's some of the best dope I've ever scared myself with. :lol:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 2):
Wardrobe Farming (Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:29 am) • Growmie (Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:08 pm)

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

I do it whenever I can be arsed. Lol
These users thanked the author Hmr81 for the post (total 5):
Wardrobe Farming (Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:35 am) • FX (Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:36 pm) • Growmie (Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:08 pm) • duke (Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:00 pm) • 2-Scoops (Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:24 pm)
From the Garage of HMR
No Current Grow on, Point5 has the tent and is doing her lovely thing.

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

I sit in the tent with the light on and hack away
These users thanked the author Nom for the post (total 3):
Growmie (Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:08 pm) • duke (Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:00 pm) • Wardrobe Farming (Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:03 pm)

Stickylemonz
Known User

Post by Stickylemonz »

I do it when lights on as plant awake and not asleep, I have done it when in dark however the buds were harder to trim as leaves all down where they been asleep so I always do it when lights on, but reading others comments I may try a 24/48hr dark before chop

So thank you for making post mate!
These users thanked the author Stickylemonz for the post (total 3):
Growmie (Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:08 pm) • duke (Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:01 pm) • Wardrobe Farming (Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:03 pm)

Growmie

Post by Growmie »

Thanks everyone for putting my mind at rest, I've clearly been overthinking too much (nothing new there). I did leave some of the smaller fan leaves on to try to slow down the drying process so perhaps they are what are causing the strange smell. Fingers crossed that dank smell comes back when they go to cure. It's only day three of drying so got a while yet before they get a proper trim and go into jars.
Just a bit disheartening when the girls smelled so fruity and gassy, to start smelling like a farmer just plowed his field πŸ˜‚ I'll update the thread with progress 🀞🏻
I was a little worried the airflow wasn't enough because I don't have a spare fan, but the exhaust seems to be pulling alot of air through and I don't have and smell/sight of mould or mildew thankfull.
Thanks everyone!
These users thanked the author Growmie for the post (total 3):
duke (Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:01 pm) • MrNice (Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:59 pm) • Wardrobe Farming (Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:03 pm)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

The smell will go Mr G after a few weeks make sure you air yr buds tho
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 2):
Wardrobe Farming (Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:03 pm) • Growmie (Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:43 pm)

Return to β€œCanna School for Newbies!”