Welcome to the cannabis school for new growers section. In this section you can ask and get answers to questions about growing cannabis. Whether you are are new to growing cannabis or thinking about getting into the hobby, there are no silly questions so ask away. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

nutrients

A place for new grower to ask questions and learn about growing cannabis
Samwise Gamgee
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: nutrients

Post by Samwise Gamgee »

Hi,

I have a bit of a problem when it comes to A&B type nutes, your plants require different levels of NPK at different times of your grow, a professional setup will often use up to 4 different feeds at different times during the grow, ie they would have an early veg, late veg, early flower and late flower.

This is because at the 4 different stages of the plants life, the plant has different needs, and takes up nutrients to reflect that.

My big problem with A&B nutes is the amount of nitrogen they contain, generally your plants should have 80% of the nitrogen they require for the whole grow whilst the are vegging, so in the whole of flower they only require 20% of the amount of nitrogen that they had in veg. You tend to use PK in flower, and maybe a boost product which would lower the amount of nitrogen you would use, but it is not dropping the amount of nitrogen to 20%.

If you use too much nitrogen in flower, the energy of the plant will be used up processing that nitrogen rather than using the energy for flowering, so you tend to end up with veru dark green leaves and slow growing flowers. In some cases too much nitrogen can cause teh plants to stall and stop growing at all, as the plant is using all its energy processing nitrogen which it doesnt need.

Also something to note with nitrogen that lots of peopel dont realise is that you cna grow with organic nutes all grow, but if your nitrogen level is too high in flower, that plants are then not deemed organic.

Personally I would opt for a seperate grow and flower type nutrient setup then, but then I would tailoer these using other products to suit the plants needs.

Hope this helps a little, I have probably just confused you even more lol

Philzon   Growroom420 Discord
Redz Medz
Known User

Post by Redz Medz »

cheers for the replies guys, I've got some serious learning to do by the sounds of it. I sort of figured about the different nutes at different stages but only from the canna feed sheet which bulls has informed me not to follow 🀣🀣

also yes samwise a little bit, il just have to re-read a few times πŸ˜‚
REDZ MEDZ

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

I go for the easy option. Ionic 1 part grow, 1 part bloom. PK boost ( hammer head atm ) and atomi rootbastic.
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Redz Medz
Known User

Post by Redz Medz »

haha makes it more confusing coz everyone has their own favourites. I've only used bio bizz range and canna, never liked bio, but didn't have any probs with canna on the last run. never mixed and matched like you guys as not had nowhere near as much experience.
il get there eventually haha

Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Samwise Gamgee wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:13 pm
Hi,

I have a bit of a problem when it comes to A&B type nutes, your plants require different levels of NPK at different times of your grow, a professional setup will often use up to 4 different feeds at different times during the grow, ie they would have an early veg, late veg, early flower and late flower.

This is because at the 4 different stages of the plants life, the plant has different needs, and takes up nutrients to reflect that.

My big problem with A&B nutes is the amount of nitrogen they contain, generally your plants should have 80% of the nitrogen they require for the whole grow whilst the are vegging, so in the whole of flower they only require 20% of the amount of nitrogen that they had in veg. You tend to use PK in flower, and maybe a boost product which would lower the amount of nitrogen you would use, but it is not dropping the amount of nitrogen to 20%.

If you use too much nitrogen in flower, the energy of the plant will be used up processing that nitrogen rather than using the energy for flowering, so you tend to end up with veru dark green leaves and slow growing flowers. In some cases too much nitrogen can cause teh plants to stall and stop growing at all, as the plant is using all its energy processing nitrogen which it doesnt need.

Also something to note with nitrogen that lots of peopel dont realise is that you cna grow with organic nutes all grow, but if your nitrogen level is too high in flower, that plants are then not deemed organic.

Personally I would opt for a seperate grow and flower type nutrient setup then, but then I would tailoer these using other products to suit the plants needs.

haha Sam that wont confuse him much lol. I like the idea of that ionic one part as well got a bottle down there for hydro, seen some amazing results as well. Like I said mate if its just brands you wanna compare read the labels its that simple.

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Regarding labels and reading..... it is my experience you NEVER give the dose the label tells you too. I start at 1/4 and usually max out at 1/2 the dose. EC pen is a must :)

Samwise Gamgee

Post by Samwise Gamgee »

The best results I have had with Canna A&B was just using them for veg then swapping to a bloom/flower 1 part feed for flower, this was the easiest way to get over the problem of the nitrogen amounts.

Maybe try that for one grow, depending on what medium you use, I would highly recommend Ionic as well, if you live in a hard water area, there tailored nutes are excellent :)
Redz Medz wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:41 pm
cheers for the replies guys, I've got some serious learning to do by the sounds of it. I sort of figured about the different nutes at different stages but only from the canna feed sheet which bulls has informed me not to follow 🀣🀣

also yes samwise a little bit, il just have to re-read a few times πŸ˜‚

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Viz wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:05 pm

Pretty much exactly what I use Bulls. Only thing I have included that you don't use is the RAW Amino Acids (Omina).
I've been using them a lot buddy along with the yucca extract but I run out and never ordered them again. I seem to be doing okay without.

Leeinuk87

Post by Leeinuk87 »

Samwise Gamgee wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:13 pm
Hi,

This is a interesting read.... makes sense In what you are talking about, if you have problems with the nitrogen when the plant requires different levels of nitrogen at different stages what sort of nutrients are out there for this? Or what do you use for these different plant cycle stages?

Redz Medz
Known User

Post by Redz Medz »

Black Grouse wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:03 am
Regarding labels and reading..... it is my experience you NEVER give the dose the label tells you too. I start at 1/4 and usually max out at 1/2 the dose. EC pen is a must :)
bulls informed me that was my mistake haha, but then the guy helping before did say start low dosage and build up to the max.
think I'll be listening to you guys tho 😁

Return to β€œCanna School for Newbies!”