Welcome to the cannabis school for new growers section. In this section you can ask and get answers to questions about growing cannabis. Whether you are are new to growing cannabis or thinking about getting into the hobby, there are no silly questions so ask away. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

the coconutters club learning thread

A place for new grower to ask questions and learn about growing cannabis
duke
Respected Member

Re: the coconutters club learning thread

Post by duke »

a note about cal/mag and if and when we should use it from my experience.
hi all i thought id covered the cal/mag use in my op but seems i missed it and not being a mod here i cant edit easily the op so,
theres much talk of coco and causing issues with cal/mag and lockouts etc it has been my experience that too much reliance on the additive is a bad thing and often makes your apparent def of cal/mag worse and theres a simple reason for this.
if you are using the correct feed for your coco grow ie coco specific nutrients and pref if in a hardwater region use nutes made for hardwater then you will not suffer issues related to lockouts or defs,
so if you have what looks maybe like a def or irregular colour or shape of foliage maybe a bit washed out and pale then dont reach for the cal/mag or epsoms etc first.
mostly what i have seen posted as possible cal/mag defs are simple underfeeding and a small increase in base nutrients will fix the issue 9 times out of 10.
the trick is floating ph simply put rough phing so as for example as i do feed daily just after the lights come on and make up nutrients in a 5 ltr iso container that days i may ph at 5.6 and settle there,the nutes for the next day may ph at 6ph great. and randomly floating ph because of daily feeding the ph never sits still enough to cause any lockouts or defs and provided you remember min 20% run off when feeding you will only ever need to use cal/mag for buffering the cheaper coco blocks before first use,not ever added to your feeds.
your base nutrient has all the cal/mag needed if given at the correct rate for age of the plant so adding extra will damage roots and make your plant worse.
i hope this makes sense,been toking the tangie :harvest:
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 2):
KD (Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:00 pm) • Rixtar (Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:34 pm)
sussex pet rescue fundraiser https://sussexpetrescue.org
help rescued dogs by donating for good karma and because its nice to give, :thanks:
link to diary viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7385

KD
Known User

Post by KD »

Excellent point there @duke

While I've been reading about coco growing, I've seen a lot of people recommend changing the pH. Some do what you do and some pH at 5.8 during veg - 6.2 during transition to flower and 6 during full flower / ripening.

Your way sounds like it's going to give the plant absolutely everything it needs at all times though. Thanks for the tips. This threads a great read with some great plants in it! I can't wait to get under way now :)
These users thanked the author KD for the post:
duke (Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:19 pm)

dekay

Post by dekay »

Ha mon the coco indeed duke... I was looking through then I thought hang on that looks like my door lol, I am not sure what the plant was now though but I remember when it budded some off the branches dropped off under the weight of the buds.
These users thanked the author dekay for the post:
duke (Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:00 pm)

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

Just read the whole thread...looks good..I've been in soil, fox farm..done good,,,,tried perlite hempys..was ok...this might be a go in the future;I just need a ph/ec meter mostly..I have well water very soft , have done a ph strip test of around 6. I have some good grow shops around me in ohigho to source coco and investigate.
Nice write up..hope to join soon 🥥🥥
These users thanked the author JJ for the post (total 2):
duke (Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:41 am) • 2-Scoops (Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:37 pm)

Return to “Canna School for Newbies!”