Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

DWC pH swinging like crazy

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
grownnotflown420

Re: DWC pH swinging like crazy

Post by grownnotflown420 »

Trex wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:38 pm
grownnotflown420 wrote:
Trex wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:27 pm

maybe its your ph meter , what brand ?

Grapefruit Banner Pheno Finder Journal

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app
just a cheapo one from amazon man, like Β£10 (15usd) for both EC and pH pen

When i can afford to i plan on purchasing the blue lab truncheons
oh dear , that may be your problem bud .

They need to be wet at all times , i let mine sit in a glass of water after use . change water every few days .

calibrate it in silution and check again , then let sit and see what gives

next time
Get milwaukee brand . hands down the best man .

A good ph meter is top priority my friend .

i have the mileaukee mw100 , got on sale 3 yrs ago for about 120$ canadian, damn best ive ever had .

calibrate once a week with ph4 and ph7 and keep pribe dipped in water always , because it will cause wrong readings

damn that models expensive here in the UK unless i import from elsewhere in Europe.

Ive just bought the milwaukee ph55 - seems to be midrange from a brand you recommend

so we'll see how it goes once it arrives

going to pick up more pH buffer fluids tomorrow from my local hydro store. so fingers crossed...
These users thanked the author grownnotflown420 for the post:
Trex (Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:14 pm)
--------GrownNotFlown--------

--------Bloody Skunk Auto DWC--------

Trex

Post by Trex »

cool

These users thanked the author Trex for the post:
grownnotflown420 (Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:43 am)

Ukbudz

Post by Ukbudz »

Buffering capacity of water is related to the volume and the amount of base feed as the base feed holds the buffers eg bigger volume and more base feed the more stable ph will be, this is one of the reasons i swapped to rdwc from dwc. I went from phing 25 litre buckets once a day to having a 160 litres and phing twice a week. You'll find the further into the grow you progress the more feed you will add thus increasing the nutrient solutions buffering capacity and stabilizing the ph more.

Though I always found a swing through the ph range made for bigger better plants, my ph would swing up through the range, I would ph to 5.2 then let it ride through to 6.5 then repeat.
These users thanked the author Ukbudz for the post:
grownnotflown420 (Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:44 am)

Ukbudz

Post by Ukbudz »

Are you adding cal mag back into your ro water also mate?
These users thanked the author Ukbudz for the post (total 2):
Treetrunk (Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:32 pm) • grownnotflown420 (Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:57 am)

Treetrunk
Respected Member

Post by Treetrunk »

Ukbudz wrote:Are you adding cal mag back into your ro water also mate?
I've got soft water and cal mag is a must add. I've found out

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Treetrunk for the post (total 2):
Ukbudz (Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:28 pm) • grownnotflown420 (Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:57 am)

Trex

Post by Trex »

Treetrunk wrote:
Ukbudz wrote:Are you adding cal mag back into your ro water also mate?
I've got soft water and cal mag is a must add. I've found out

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
oh yes , rekon i told him this yesturday

These users thanked the author Trex for the post (total 2):
Ukbudz (Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:29 pm) • grownnotflown420 (Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:57 am)

grownnotflown420

Morning chaps, @Trex @Treetrunk @Ukbudz

Thanks for all the info man, so I noticed something weird with the pH down I was using and I might be completely off with this.

So the pH down I was using was a horticultural grade product, not specifically for hydroponics, its a 5l bottle and the dosage states '200ml per 1000l', so my guess also is that its not particularly designed for MUCH smaller applications.

Either way I've replaced it with some vita link ph down, I've also just got some ph buffer 4 & 7 to calibrate my trashy pH pen until my other one arrives.

I've mixed up a fresh batch to go in the res with dechlorinated tap water, upped the feed to 2ml/L so the Ppm is sitting around 500 (including 100ppm from the tap water). I've mixed it up in a brand new steralised 25l bottle and it appears the pH is sitting comfortably at 6.4 (too high I know, i havent Ph'd it yet)

How long do you guys recommend leaving it between adding pH down and recording the pH?

My baby needs to go in ASAP so hopefully this is the one πŸ˜‚

Failing this I may build an auto pH mechanism from some pumps and a raspberry pi πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜… so it can drip pH down as and when it needs to because right now I'm ready to set fire to the grodrobe πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Thanks again guys, your time and words are much appreciated

Edit : yea im adding calmag at a rate of 0.5ml/L, I'm going to up this today to 1ml/L to see if this helps stabilise the pH

Very good point about volumes etc, I used to run a 90l res in a drip feed system, ironically my first ever grow and it went amazingly lol just wish I had the room to get that setup going again πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
These users thanked the author grownnotflown420 for the post (total 2):
Sage (Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:58 am) • Ukbudz (Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:59 am)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Hey buddy. So what I think is going on here is your airstone is causing some offgassing of co2 and increase in oxygen that causes a spike in PH. RO water doesn't have any buffer so the symptoms will be exacerbated. Tap water holds a lot of calcium bicarbonate that buffers out the effects. It's completely normal and should be expected. Adjust after 24 hours and it won't move too much after that. More feed will help as it will help to buffer the water.

If you see a sudden drop in PH then worry. Hope this helps
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
grownnotflown420 (Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:16 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

grownnotflown420

seymore_budz wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:12 pm
Hey buddy. So what I think is going on here is your airstone is causing some offgassing of co2 and increase in oxygen that causes a spike in PH. RO water doesn't have any buffer so the symptoms will be exacerbated. Tap water holds a lot of calcium bicarbonate that buffers out the effects. It's completely normal and should be expected. Adjust after 24 hours and it won't move too much after that. More feed will help as it will help to buffer the water.

Thanks so much man, I think with the help of all you guys I have hope that this next batch will be the one

I do agree with your comment of the off gassing of Co2, but I went from RO to tap water to see if that had an effect, trial and error never hurt anybody lol!

I also changed the air pump to a smaller one, the one I was using before was a bit of a beast, I had it lying around so thought why not, then thought about the whole injecting more warm air, causing water temp to rise, chiller working harder, cost more electricity!!! πŸ˜…

Thanks again man πŸ‘πŸ‘

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

grownnotflown420 wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:18 pm
seymore_budz wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:12 pm

Thanks so much man, I think with the help of all you guys I have hope that this next batch will be the one

I do agree with your comment of the off gassing of Co2, but I went from RO to tap water to see if that had an effect, trial and error never hurt anybody lol!

I also changed the air pump to a smaller one, the one I was using before was a bit of a beast, I had it lying around so thought why not, then thought about the whole injecting more warm air, causing water temp to rise, chiller working harder, cost more electricity!!! πŸ˜…

Thanks again man πŸ‘πŸ‘
No problem buddy. You will get there for sure. The same effect will happen with municipal water but it won't be as aggressive. RO water will change PH if you put your hand in it. H20 is the world's most aggressive solvent when pure.

When it comes to DWC, my opinion is more air the better :) the effects of heating your water are minimal and reducing the risk of root rot should be top priority. More air mitigates the risk. I think you can overthink these minor details and forget the most important ones.

If the PH issue is a massive problem you can buffer with a bit of CalMag but the PH will still climb for the first 24 hours then settle. Personally, in DWC where the stability is key, I'd be mixing my RO water with municipal water at about 50/50 as the bicarb will stabilise the PH as well as provide a small amount of sterilisation properties to the mix. Liquid oxygen is another option but it doesn't hang about for too long like chloramine does. Anyway, I'm waffling, good luck bud :fist:
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
grownnotflown420 (Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:02 pm)

Return to β€œCannabis issues and help section”