Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Long term poorly mother.. To cull or not to cull...

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Tictok
Known User

Long term poorly mother.. To cull or not to cull...

Post by Tictok »

Hey GR420

I've been flowering out a long term mother plant for almost 8 weeks now but she has had problems for longer than that. She's in standard compost.

Originally in veg she had too much nutes and locked out. Luckily cuts were taken before this happened.

She got flushed and has been on just water with a little biocanna boost but never recovered from curling/clawing leaves that were fading from the bottom of the plant. She's had a malted barley flower solution also.

The healthy cuts in veg would also start clawing if too much nutes were given so this pheno is definitely nute sensitive.

She stopped growing for ages while this was going on but recently she's started throwing out pistels which made me think is she recovering? Faded leaves were trimmed off.

Questions;

- if she limps on, will the final quality be crap? So should I just cull her now?

- is the throwing out of pistels a good sign? Should I continue with just water, bit of boost etc?

- Any ideas if she is now deficient or still recovering from excessive nutes?

I've had her that long I'm quite attached, but will cull if I'm wasting my time with her.

Here she is...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Philzon   Growroom420 Discord
Nom
Known User

Re: Long term poorly mother.. To cull or not to cull...

Post by Nom »

I'm not a big fan of killing plants if I don't have to. Whereas I don't really have any advice to offer, if it we're me I'd carry on with it and if it turned out a crappy smoke or something I'd just use it for extraction, might get some nice hash from it or something. I guess it kind of depends on what your situation is like regarding what you have in stock to keep you going, nothing worse than running out and being forced to make a purchase from some dodgy git in an alleyway. Sorry I dont have any specific advice to offer mate, I'm sure someone with more experience than myself will be along shortly
These users thanked the author Nom for the post:
Tictok (Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:47 am)

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

if you are just giving it water and boost, thats not going to help. .
its in coco right? edit to add duh i just noticed its soil, but advice is the same.

give it a low dose of bloom nutes, the boost will hhave to high a p and k rating, and ime, boost causes more issues than it cures. flush it out with a weak bloom solution to get rid of any salt build up, and just give it bloom nutes at a lower dose.
dont kill it, it will come back.
Also check your ph thats going in- if its too high it can make the leaf curl worse. i know soil buffers it, but if its nearer 6.5 to start with it will have less work to do.
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post:
Tictok (Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:47 am)

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Nomoli wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:10 am
I'm not a big fan of killing plants if I don't have to. Whereas I don't really have any advice to offer, if it we're me I'd carry on with it and if it turned out a crappy smoke or something I'd just use it for extraction, might get some nice hash from it or something. I guess it kind of depends on what your situation is like regarding what you have in stock to keep you going, nothing worse than running out and being forced to make a purchase from some dodgy git in an alleyway. Sorry I dont have any specific advice to offer mate, I'm sure someone with more experience than myself will be along shortly
Agreed, I've had her so long I'm determined to fix her. I'm ok for percy, so going back to the street vendors won't be happening!
bigbadbillybob wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:34 am
if you are just giving it water and boost, thats not going to help. .
its in coco right? edit to add duh i just noticed its soil, but advice is the same.

give it a low dose of bloom nutes, the boost will hhave to high a p and k rating, and ime, boost causes more issues than it cures. flush it out with a weak bloom solution to get rid of any salt build up, and just give it bloom nutes at a lower dose.
dont kill it, it will come back.
Also check your ph thats going in- if its too high it can make the leaf curl worse. i know soil buffers it, but if its nearer 6.5 to start with it will have less work to do.
Thanks Billybob, I'll check PH and flush with a light bloom as you suggest. Really don't want to cull her, you get quite attached to mothers you've had a while!
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post (total 2):
bigbadbillybob (Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:57 am) • Nom (Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:53 pm)

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Ok, so things are improving after the flush a d a bit of larf removal to focus everything on the main buds.

However I tested the pH of the runoff from the flush and it was a whopping 8.5!

The plant seems to be continuing to grow but I know that is too high.

My tap water after leaving it for 24hrs measure 7-7.5 which I believe is just about ok and I'm using biocanna nutes.

So is there a way I can lower this PH? Is it as simple as adding PH Down to the next watering?

Any help much appreciated.

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”