Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

leaves curled under & buds going pink ?

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Minty
Respected Member

leaves curled under & buds going pink ?

Post by Minty »

Hey Guys,

I have a couple of issues with my Tropical Cookie girls being grown for the Growers Choice comp / Pint Sized grow off. I'm not overly concerned etc and certainly not an emergency but I would be interested in knowing what causes these following symptoms which are on different plants.

Firstly I noticed the leaves on one of my cookies are bending down and under (curling) as follows:-

From my initial research it seems this could be caused by any the following:-
  • Nitrogen Toxicicidy - I did flush the medium so I don't think it is this?
  • Underwatering - they get feed at least twice a day so I don't think it is this?
  • Light Burn - She is no where near as close as the others so I don't think it is this?
  • Overwatering - Currently drying her out to rule out this one.
  • Heat Stress - Totally possible as temps are an overall issue for me.
  • Wind Burn - Totally possible as she is closest to the fan.
  • Bad Medium - Don't think so as she had been fine?
  • Root Issues - Hope not - but she is certainly going to be root bound growing in a pint can!
  • Bugs / Insects - Can't see any and have been really lucky so far with lack of bugs in general.
I did flush the medium so although I don't think it is Nitrogen Toxicicidy that was a day ago and they do seem to have improved slightly (originally they were totally curled in the shape of a 'C') and not really sure how quickly she would respond to the flush anyway?

Note sure it makes a difference but this plant is the one that I snapped in half and re-rooted but she had been doing fine.

Secondly, my other plant seems to be showing pink bits around the buds:-

ImageImage

My initial thoughts were genetics but looking at other pictures of the Tropical Cookies doesn't show any pink. The Water Melons do show some pink so maybe this one is not a Cookie? The pink is only showing on one plant currently but she does seem a little more advanced than the other plant so this may change in a couple of days etc.

I'm not really concerned about the pink and it looks cool but wondered if this could be caused by heat stress or being too close to the light (she is very close at the min) etc?

Following pic shows the fan position in relation to the first issue (she is on the right) with the middle plant having the 'issue' with the pink buds:-

As always, appreciate any feedback you may have.
These users thanked the author Minty for the post:
BB (Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:49 am)

BB
Known User

Re: leaves curled under & buds going pink ?

Post by BB »

Minty wrote:Hey Guys,

I have a couple of issues with my Tropical Cookie girls being grown for the Growers Choice comp / Pint Sized grow off. I'm not overly concerned etc and certainly not an emergency but I would be interested in knowing what causes these following symptoms which are on different plants.

Firstly I noticed the leaves on one of my cookies are bending down and under (curling) as follows:-

From my initial research it seems this could be caused by any the following:-
  • Nitrogen Toxicicidy - I did flush the medium so I don't think it is this?
  • Underwatering - they get feed at least twice a day so I don't think it is this?
  • Light Burn - She is no where near as close as the others so I don't think it is this?
  • Overwatering - Currently drying her out to rule out this one.
  • Heat Stress - Totally possible as temps are an overall issue for me.
  • Wind Burn - Totally possible as she is closest to the fan.
  • Bad Medium - Don't think so as she had been fine?
  • Root Issues - Hope not - but she is certainly going to be root bound growing in a pint can!
  • Bugs / Insects - Can't see any and have been really lucky so far with lack of bugs in general.
I did flush the medium so although I don't think it is Nitrogen Toxicicidy that was a day ago and they do seem to have improved slightly (originally they were totally curled in the shape of a 'C') and not really sure how quickly she would respond to the flush anyway?

Note sure it makes a difference but this plant is the one that I snapped in half and re-rooted but she had been doing fine.

Secondly, my other plant seems to be showing pink bits around the buds:-

ImageImage

My initial thoughts were genetics but looking at other pictures of the Tropical Cookies doesn't show any pink. The Water Melons do show some pink so maybe this one is not a Cookie? The pink is only showing on one plant currently but she does seem a little more advanced than the other plant so this may change in a couple of days etc.

I'm not really concerned about the pink and it looks cool but wondered if this could be caused by heat stress or being too close to the light (she is very close at the min) etc?

Following pic shows the fan position in relation to the first issue (she is on the right) with the middle plant having the 'issue' with the pink buds:-

As always, appreciate any feedback you may have.
I have to same pink on one of my melons.are your temps lower than normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author BB for the post:
Minty (Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:33 am)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

BB wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:50 am
Hey mate, temps are currently about 26℃ with humidity about 50%

Looking at some pics of the Double XXL line I would say the pic matches the Melons the most and also the stats seem to be more consistent with the melons being 70% Sativa / 30% Indica where as the Cookies are 20% Sativa / 80% Indica. The mad stretch on her to me shows signs of Sativa rather than indica but I don' t know...

Looking at the Hydro one which seems to show more of the plants shape (not so root bound as the other two):-

If I had to pick between Sativa or Indica I would say Sativa based on the pics alone...

I hope they are not Melons for a couple of reasons, being firstly I have a main tent full of Melons already and secondly @Mr Nice would never let me hear the end of it if it turns out I have always been a Melon spy in the Cookie camp!!
MrNice (Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:20 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Elijahgrowz wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:29 am
I don't know how you get the stretch on them plants??
I have no idea mate, if anything I tried to keep them short e.g. kept them close the the light etc when seedlings to stop stretch but they don't care ;o) I assume they are supposed to be like that being XXL I guess?
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:29 am
Are you Melons in disguise

Stop it, I am gonna be so gutted if they are bloody Melons :lol:
Elijah Growz (Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:42 am)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Marcus wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:40 am
PS - that 1st pic looks like N tox, will soon dissapear when you taper her off the grub.
Thanks Marcus, I did flush her initially so hopefully that will help. Will give her another flush just to make sure. Not like it takes long to flush a pint ;o)

kbag
GR420 Leg End

Post by kbag »

Small pots waste of time and space imo. You need to be on the ball with small pots i totally agree with Marcus on the health of the plants. As for the XXL title i think they are meant to veg longer before going into flower making them a bigger plant come finish, i could be totally wrong.
These users thanked the author kbag for the post (total 2):
Minty (Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:56 am) • Elijah Growz (Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:58 am)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:46 am
I am so stumped about this XXL Title does anyone know what it actually means? My plants aren't big, but I've trained and topped them
Training and topping them would make a difference no? Not convinced it would make as much difference as we are seeing but like you I have no idea what the XXL denotes.
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:54 am
Flushing won;t shift it. You need to drop the N in your feed.
Just feeding her some PK should help her, but I dunno. I'm no hydro guy.
Fair enough, thanks Marcus. I have been giving them a very low amount of PK (0.25ml per 1.5 litre) and this next feed that increase to (0.5ml per 1.5 litre) so hopefully that perks her up.
kbag wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:55 am
Small pots waste of time and space imo. You need to be on the ball with small pots i totally agree with Marcus on the health of the plants
Thanks KBag. The small pots are for the comp so hopefully not something I will be doing on a regular basis. To be fair they have been fun and certainly a good couple of lessons along the way.
Elijah Growz (Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:05 am)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Minty wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:08 am
BB wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:50 am
Hey mate, temps are currently about 26℃ with humidity about 50%

Looking at some pics of the Double XXL line I would say the pic matches the Melons the most and also the stats seem to be more consistent with the melons being 70% Sativa / 30% Indica where as the Cookies are 20% Sativa / 80% Indica. The mad stretch on her to me shows signs of Sativa rather than indica but I don' t know...

Looking at the Hydro one which seems to show more of the plants shape (not so root bound as the other two):-

If I had to pick between Sativa or Indica I would say Sativa based on the pics alone...

I hope they are not Melons for a couple of reasons, being firstly I have a main tent full of Melons already and secondly @Mr Nice would never let me hear the end of it if it turns out I have always been a Melon spy in the Cookie camp!!
Ahhh youve noticed ive poped round now then minty swapped ya seeds..............LOL there all melons
Last edited by MrNice on Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post:
Minty (Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:52 pm)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:40 am
Put the pink down to genetics, put the rest down to it being in a small pot.

Small pot grows always end up looking like a bag of shite at some point. :oik!:

PS - that 1st pic looks like N tox, will soon dissapear when you taper her off the grub.
Hey Minty im wiv marcus on first pic N problem nitrogen claw bro look how dark green the leafs are have same problem with my melon overdose on root juice caused my N problem been on plain water for few weeks now still not getting any lighter green tho

Second pic gens for shaw with pink showing........... :dj: :dj: :dj:
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 2):
Marcus (Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:39 pm) • Minty (Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:52 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

MrNice wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:27 pm
root juice caused my N problem been on plain water for few weeks now still not getting any lighter green tho
Hey mate, Marcus mentions above that flushing will not help with the issue:-
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:54 am
Flushing won;t shift it. You need to drop the N in your feed.

Return to β€œCannabis issues and help section”