Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Unidentified pest

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Ilikeplants

Unidentified pest

Post by Ilikeplants »

Hello everyone i have some sort of unidentified pest.

Its a tiny tiny fly looking creature, it seems to hang around the soil. Everytime i check my plant tjere seems to be 10x more

What is it and how to i get rid of it? Image
Another day to grow :roll:

Wizard
Respected Member

Re: Unidentified pest

Post by Wizard »

fungas nat maybe ?
These users thanked the author Wizard for the post:
Ilikeplants (Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:22 am)
We can get swept away by our thoughts,,or learn to step back and see them with clarity.
Easy to forget its a choice

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Wizard is right I think, that looks like a Sciarid fly to me. They hang about laying eggs in the soil and their larvae eats things in the soil and will munch through roots when the population gets larger and food becomes sparse. You have several options.

1) pyrethrins, you can safely spray around the tops of the pots. It doesn't hang around for long so requires a few applications but will eventually kill em off. Spray at three days intervals for a week or so until they gone.

2) bacillus thuringiensis, a soil born bacteria that crystallises in the larvae stomach. Works fast but it's expensive.

3) nematodes/predatory mites, will seek and munch but takes about 7 days to kick in. Good for larger grow rooms or outdoor grows.

4) gnatix/soil dressings, these you add some to the top of your pots and it makes the pots undesirable. Some products like diahydra and gnatix claim to activity control because the larvae can't traverse the media.

That's a brief overview of some things to consider. There are other methods but these are your most common. I just cleaned up a pretty bad infestation with tanlin. The active ingredient is option 2 and it worked fast. Good luck buddy :fist:
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 2):
Ilikeplants (Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:22 am) • 2-Scoops (Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:53 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

triplehood
Has thanked: 0

Post by triplehood »

Follow @seymore_budz and reply back in a few days...

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

A good soil drench with neem oil will fuck them up as well, repeated about 5 days later. The neem has systemic properties for a while used this way, so it will carry on protecting your plant from bugs :)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”