Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Root Rot and Heat Stress? Or something ELSE (as well)?

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Minty
Respected Member

Root Rot and Heat Stress? Or something ELSE (as well)?

Post by Minty »

Hey Guys,

Thought I would post this here as a separate thread in the hope it get's dedicated attention rather than posting as a update to the grow diary where you can find more information on the environment etc.

Basically I am using an RDWC and was hit with root rot during the initial hot days here in the UK, I had already ordered a chiller but delivery delays and missing parts meant the plants were hit with root rot. I use HydroGuard in a normal schedule along with the GH Flora Trio and later added Hygrozyme as the 'Pythoff' I ordered following Josh's recommendation has still not arrived. In fact the last 3 orders (first being over a week ago) I have placed with One Stop Grow Shop have still not arrived so not so sure I will be using them again. My usual route is pretty much next day but they didn't have the items I had to order fro OSGS so you know (life is a bitch and Amazon Prime makes me a bitch sometimes).

Anyway I will cut out the crap and just show some pictures and answer any questions / follow any advice you awesome people can give.

I personally think the back one is just seriously suffering/lagging from having the root rot but the front one is now showing signs of brown spots etc which from my very limited knowledge and research could be the root rot, the heat, or fecking wind burn ;o)

I know from the stats the heat is out of control and there is not much (apart from turn fans on and off etc to control the heat) until my air conditioner arrives (which I'm not holding my breath for anytime soon) so I can't win unless it is a missing nutrient I can just give it more off:-

To the Video app.php/vgallery/minty/20/293

Any feedback is welcome and thanks guys.

Greenfingers
Known User

Re: Root Rot and Heat Stress? Or something ELSE (as well)?

Post by Greenfingers »

Far to much fuckery with hydro for me, good luck mate and im following this
These users thanked the author Greenfingers for the post:
Minty (Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:04 am)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

They're struggling to take up anything because of the root rot :( what's the water temperature at Minty?
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
Minty (Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:24 am)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

What's the temp of the water atm? And why aren't ewe using oxy plus?

Great Googly Moogly

These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post (total 2):
seymore_budz (Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:11 am) • Minty (Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:24 am)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Greenfingers wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:28 pm
Far to much fuckery with hydro for me, good luck mate and im following this
Thanks mate, I was doing alright until the heat wave! How many heat waves does the UK get... Feck you global warming, which I guess is cool seeing as we can't go to spain on holiday anymore ;o)
grumpygrower wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:34 pm
They're struggling to take up anything because of the root rot :( what's the water temperature at Minty?
Thanks Grumpy,
That's what I suspected mate, and KBag suggested to Folia feed them which I have been doing for 2nd night tonight with the lights and fans off.

Water temperature has been a constant 22℃ ish ever since I got the chiller but air temperature is still an issue during the hot days.

Stats at the moment with the lights and fans off are as follows:-

captain beefheart wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:02 am
What's the temp of the water atm? And why aren't ewe using oxy plus?

Great Googly Moogly
Thanks Captain,

The water temp I am running with the chiller 'NOW' is 22℃ ish but they had a few days without the chiller and that fecked em up a bit.

I am not using Oxy Plus? Will look at that, but have so far used HydroGuard (always in the schedule) and HygroZyme at the following dosings (the Pythoff has not arrived yet and in the grid for later so ignore that one) :-

Thank you guys, appreciate the help.

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Stats with the lights on and extract fan, movement fans. Temp slightly up and humidity down.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

So I wouldn't worry about the feed. You need to get rid of the bad roots first. I'd pull the plants from the system and remove any bad roots, then rinse them off with tepid tap water. The chlorine in the water will help to kill some off (pythoff is chlorine). You're going to need to empty and refil your system too as it will hang about in the water ready to attack again. If you have peroxide, use it, daily untill the pythoff turns upm it won't hang about fot long but it will help kill off the bad bacteria. But you really need to pull them out and remove the decaying matter or it will juat get worse.

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

grumpygrower wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:34 am
So I wouldn't worry about the feed. You need to get rid of the bad roots first. I'd pull the plants from the system and remove any bad roots, then rinse them off with tepid tap water. The chlorine in the water will help to kill some off (pythoff is chlorine).
OK Sounds like a plan, thanks Grumpy mate. I got nothing to loose really.

So literally take the plants in the net pots and wash them under luke warm water from the tap in the bath? and cut off any slimey roots with a knife?
grumpygrower wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:34 am
You're going to need to empty and refil your system too as it will hang about in the water ready to attack again. If you have peroxide, use it, daily untill the pythoff turns upm it won't hang about fot long but it will help kill off the bad bacteria. But you really need to pull them out and remove the decaying matter or it will juat get worse.
I don't have 'peroxide' and to be honest mate I have spent so much money recently I would rather not have to get unless you really recommended it but just checked my One Stop Grow Shop orders and they have not even shipped them yet. Obviously Covid plays a part in this but come on. I have been working from home the whole time... Tempted to cancel my orders, and either way this here is not good advertising for them.

Can you advise me what to buy that contains the peroxide that will be cheap and quick to get from Amazon mate?

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Yes exactly that mate, remove anything slimy and brown, rinse them off and clean out the system buddy.

https://www.greenspirit-hydroponics.com ... uid-oxygen

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

OK, Water drained and changed as much as could at this time of night, luckily the drain pumps are quite until the water runs out but they certainly can't drain out every last bit. There are 3 pumps, 1 in each pot and one in the res so they do get most of it but you know.

I cut off the dodgy looking roots but I think that might have been a mistake as they had white roots within all the slime stuff but couldn't arsed with em anymore and cut em for me own science and learning. If the Pythoff had arrived in a sensible time frame I think that would have saved them for sure but now I am just thinking of learning from the mistakes and replacing them. I have enough seeds to not waste the lights and nutrients on these anymore.

refilled with RO water and dosed to the week 5 schedule and not added any PH adjustments yet but and the stats after the water change are:-

Gonna give them a couple of days and then shut it down and move the Hydro to one side to share the tent with some Coco grows. Not giving up on the Hydro just think it might be time to call it quits on these Auto's who are already on week five?

:idn:

If I could create a Forum Vote to see if they live or die, I would...

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”