Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Root Rot and Heat Stress? Or something ELSE (as well)?

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Re: Root Rot and Heat Stress? Or something ELSE (as well)?

Post by 2-Scoops »

Minty wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:20 pm
captain beefheart wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:53 pm
imo i`d get on the oxy plus rampantly :oik!: in water its worth its weight in gold. :Stoned:
Appreciated mate, pretty much the same advice from everyone is to get some type of peroxide, the problem I have is that none of the ones mentioned are available on Amazon, and I already have a £30 bottle of 'Pythoff' I ordered 6 days ago that has still not arrived.
OxyPlus/H202/hydrogen peroxide well It`s all same stuff, theirs just lots of different strengths, its alot cheaper to buy summink like a liter of 12% h202 here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hydrogen-Per ... 2749.l2649 and just mix to correct ratios.

The guys who rebrand and rename the additive for weed growers are just clever con men. So basically they make 1liter that costs a tenner is now £50, £60 or £70 or more in 4, 5 or 6 smaller bottles with jazzy name on. It`s just hydrogen peroxide watered down to a lesser % those cheeky conning coonts. You`ll prolly be able to pick up some of the weaker 3% stuff pretty quickly down the chemist.

Theirs a great page here gives you correct ratios etc https://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com ... oxide.html

I recently bought me some exact same 12% hydrogen peroxide to help with sprouting older seeds.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Minty (Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:45 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Thanks 2 Scoops mate.
2-Scoops wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:38 pm
The guys who rebrand and rename the additive for weed growers are just clever con men. So basically they make 1liter that costs a tenner is now £50, £60 or £70 or more in 4, 5 or 6 smaller bottles with jazzy name on. It`s just hydrogen peroxide watered down to a lesser % those cheeky conning coonts. You`ll prolly be able to pick up some of the weaker 3% stuff pretty quickly down the chemist.
I think your right mate. just checked the Data Sheet for that Pythoff and it is basically 1.0% chlorine and 99% water:-

God Damn it! That shit cost me £30 and it still aint even here - just got an email saying it will be 5-7 days shipping. One Stop Grow Shop can kiss my arse for any future orders. They suck as an online store.

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Beef wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:19 pm
Minty... Dont be so hard on yourself with this one.... Cant predict a heatwave like we had and if roots temp rocketed then thats just nature....its all good experience and mistakes you wont in the future!
Thanks Beef mate - it's just disappointing you know...

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

That Pythoff recipe sure sounds a bit like soft tap water Minty, don`t it ? I mean i don`t know how much chlorine is in soft tap water but it can`t be be too much, i`d reckon using that is just like using fresh tap water before chlorine evaporates away. Greedy slimey toads is my first thoughts their. I might be wrong though but it has a stink of shit to that Pythoff. It`s going on my "slimey stinky shitty product list" is that one.
Minty (Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:50 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

2-Scoops wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:16 pm
That Pythoff recipe sure sounds a bit like soft tap water Minty, don`t it ? I mean i don`t know how much chlorine is in soft tap water but it can`t be be too much, i`d reckon using that is just like using fresh tap water before chlorine evaporates away. Greedy slimey toads is my first thoughts their. I might be wrong though but it has a stink of shit to that Pythoff. It`s going on my "slimey stinky shitty product list" is that one.
I was literally coming back to ask the same thing mate. If the Pythoff is just 1% chlorine and I don't know how much chlorine tap water contains (I'm RO so slightly different) but why do people let feed water stand to evaporate the chlorine off? If in low amounts it is useful as a cleaner etc. Surly it is better to just leave it in and not worry the hassle of evaporating it off?

:idn:

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Beef wrote:
Cant predict a heatwave like we had and if roots temp rocketed then thats just nature.
Just got tracking information for my Air Conditioner for the tent mate so hopefully another variable I can turn into a constant. It is also a dehumidifier so that should also be another tick of the environmental list of things that can go wrong.

Beef

Post by Beef »

Minty wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:54 pm
Beef wrote:
Cant predict a heatwave like we had and if roots temp rocketed then thats just nature.
Just got tracking information for my Air Conditioner for the tent mate so hopefully another variable I can turn into a constant. It is also a dehumidifier so that should also be another tick of the environmental list of things that can go wrong.
Very nice....more constants = better quality
These users thanked the author Beef for the post:
Minty (Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:41 am)
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man....

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Minty wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:50 pm
2-Scoops wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:16 pm
I was literally coming back to ask the same thing mate. If the Pythoff is just 1% chlorine and I don't know how much chlorine tap water contains (I'm RO so slightly different) but why do people let feed water stand to evaporate the chlorine off? If in low amounts it is useful as a cleaner etc. Surly it is better to just leave it in and not worry the hassle of evaporating it off?

:idn:
IMO theirs no need what so ever to let tap water stand even more so if your using chemical based feeds or growing hydroponically, their maybe an argument for letting it stand if your growing organically cus it may kill off some of your life in your soil, but i can`t see it doing too much harm to life in soil. TBH if growing hydro or with chemicals so long as water is at right temps and not too cold or warm, then i would think theirs a good argument for not letting it stand cus i would say it will help keep your system sterile and free of nasty pathogens.

Theirs other things added into tap water by lots of water suppliers nowadays like amonia which mixes with clorine to create a by product called chloramine which won`t dissipate by letting it stand unless you know how to do it and it`s said that`s not best for life in living soils either.

I think it all must be an old school thing cus i never worry about it myself.
Minty (Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:40 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

captain beefheart wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:53 pm
imo i`d get on the oxy plus rampantly :oik!: in water its worth its weight in gold. :Stoned:
I tried a weeks worth of dosing with the OxyPlus and it didn't really help. I would imagine it would help prevent but didn't do so well as a cure.

The Pythoff that I original ordered has finally arrived and has seemed to have helped:-
integrajosh wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:10 pm
Minty, I believe your one plant might be suffering from rot. I'd recommend using this https://www.onestopgrowshop.co.uk/produ ... ff-1-litre
Nanook swears by it if I remember correctly.
Seems to be a shed load more white roots now - let's just see if they are still white in a couple of days...

The Pythoff definitely smells a lot stronger (reminds me of a school swimming pool) than the Oxy Plus

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Lady_dwc wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:07 pm
Yeah no lower than 18 I have 3 chillers I run them at 19 I did do 20 but found the kids preferred 19... Silver bullet will last 5 weeks I think it is tho I use it with every res change
After surviving with OxyPlus and Pythoff daily and looking into getting more OxyPlus which to be fair is cheap enough (I was crazy to not use it before, but in my defence, I am a noob, and this is my first attempt) I have also taken your advice and ordered some Silver Bullet Roots as this just seems so much less hassle due to the extended tank life :o)

Thank you Lady_dwc

Overall, I personally think the Pythoff defo saved the day here (thanks Josh) and the roots are looking much better now:-

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”