Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

How I deal with thrips on cannabis plants

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Keeno
Site Admin

Re: How I deal with thrips on cannabis plants

Post by Keeno »

2-Scoops wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:38 pm
Give your coco a good drench with a neem/water mix and repeat 4 or 5 days later, that should keep your coco or soil free of bugs it also has systemic properties does neem if used a few or three times that way so it also protects plant above ground. Think it was 4ml per liter last timne i did it, but just read instructions if unsure.
Nice one 2-Scoops. Ill have a go at this, ive always hated need oil in my tent, the smell but through the coco is different.
Elijahgrowz wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:05 am
Awesome post thanks, I don't struggle with them (yet) but great to have something to fall back onto, personally I use a foliar spray to keep pests away, same way as making a compost tea, I made some tea bags and use Alfafa, neem, silica, kelp and aloe, depending what stage the plant is at.

KEENO
Can't get those no pest strips in the UK, unless we wanna pay about 20 dollar shipping

Does anyone know of a UK based no pest strips that could help us little islanders that don't have access
The spray Cspt put on is only £9on ebay if that's your preference

I also use the good old fashioned fly paper but that's more for any little flys that made their way in

✌🏾💚
Hello mate,

Ive just looked on ebay and im not seeing my usual seller there but yes they are available normally on ebay for around £15 in UK.
Donkey222 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:44 am
Neem Oil had always been my go to for years I've used it upto about week 5 in flowering with no ill effects , however I thought I would try something new.... nematodes these little fellas kick arse and supposedly last upto 6 weeks , I used them about 7 days ago and touch wood all my sticky traps have no new flying shit bags , can be used as a foiler spray and a soil drench ,
Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Ive looked at these on many a occasion. I tried the strips and they just worked so ive not moved onto to anything else. But ill defo have a go with these one day.
Mafoo.Martin wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:05 pm
Keeno, i will back you on the NO PEST STRIPS in veg. However I am very leary of the safety of the vapors being exposed to flower you plan to smoke. We loved using them in our food crop research greenhouses amd growth chambers but Im nervous about the airborne chemicals building up as a deposit on the exterior of the growing flowers.

Maybe Im wrong but thats just what me gut says
Hey Mafoo,

I would agree in prolonged exposure but im happy to give em a 24 hours sealed blast of these if its a big pest problem. I really dont like the idea of spraying anything onto flowering plants for similar reasons to what you say about these. I now use them as part of my cycle, they are always in my veg tent. I now feed my flower tents with air through a filter, so my veg tent is completely sterile, nothing makes it into my flowering ones.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 2):
Elijah Growz (Sat May 30, 2020 3:02 pm) • Minty (Sun May 31, 2020 11:14 am)

Mafooo
Known User

Post by Mafooo »

Keeno wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:14 pm

Mafoo.Martin wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:05 pm
Keeno, i will back you on the NO PEST STRIPS in veg. However I am very leary of the safety of the vapors being exposed to flower you plan to smoke. We loved using them in our food crop research greenhouses amd growth chambers but Im nervous about the airborne chemicals building up as a deposit on the exterior of the growing flowers.

Maybe Im wrong but thats just what me gut says
Hey Mafoo,

I would agree in prolonged exposure but im happy to give em a 24 hours sealed blast of these if its a big pest problem. I really dont like the idea of spraying anything onto flowering plants for similar reasons to what you say about these. I now use them as part of my cycle, they are always in my veg tent. I now feed my flower tents with air through a filter, so my veg tent is completely sterile, nothing makes it into my flowering ones.
The idea of filtering ur veg air and using it as the air supply for the flower tent is hella smart Keeno. Props for that thought dude

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

2-Scoops wrote:
Give your coco a good drench with a neem/water mix and repeat 4 or 5 days later, that should keep your coco or soil free of bugs it also has systemic properties does neem if used a few or three times that way so it also protects plant above ground. Think it was 4ml per liter last timne i did it, but just read instructions if unsure.
Hey 2-Scoops

Dont you have to mix a bit of dish soap in with neem as its an oil to emulsifie it first as oil and water dont mix .... goes a white colour after

Like keeno i have used it once to get rid of aphids didnt know how bad it is till GMO told me think i mixed a tea spoon of neem and 1/4 tea spoon of hand wash soap
After three applications no more aphids it worked for me caught the aphids just before going into flower lucky for me
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post:
Minty (Sun May 31, 2020 11:18 am)

Mafooo
Known User

Post by Mafooo »

Neem has a very interesting mode of action. It prevents the reproductive cycle but doesnt kill any living organisms. The dish soap would be good for foliar but I would use some thing like yucca powder as a wetting agent for drenching after a very good shake to get the emulsion going
These users thanked the author Mafooo for the post (total 2):
MrNice (Sat May 30, 2020 4:30 pm) • Minty (Sun May 31, 2020 11:18 am)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

MrNice wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:37 pm
2-Scoops wrote:
Give your coco a good drench with a neem/water mix and repeat 4 or 5 days later, that should keep your coco or soil free of bugs it also has systemic properties does neem if used a few or three times that way so it also protects plant above ground. Think it was 4ml per liter last time i did it, but just read instructions if unsure.
Hey 2-Scoops

Dont you have to mix a bit of dish soap in with neem as its an oil to emulsifie it first as oil and water dont mix .... goes a white colour after

Like keeno i have used it once to get rid of aphids didnt know how bad it is till GMO told me think i mixed a tea spoon of neem and 1/4 tea spoon of hand wash soap
After three applications no more aphids it worked for me caught the aphids just before going into flower lucky for me
Yes if i was foliar feeding but as root drench not needed really.

Also I wouldn`t use neem on a flowering plant for spraying mate. :)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

I'm with Captain Beefheart on this one. The pyrethrum sprays work fast with thrip. They die pretty quick :). If you're looking for a more natural spray, s&b plant invigorator is pretty good too. I've tried all sorts with the little fuckers and nothing seems to work better than pyrethrum sprays.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”