Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Avoid The Most Common Mistakes When Growing Autoflower Cannabis Plants

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Smokey

Avoid The Most Common Mistakes When Growing Autoflower Cannabis Plants

Post by Smokey »

Autoflowering cannabis strains are awesome. Just a few years ago, many growers didn’t take autoflowers seriously. They saw them as something suited for beginners, as the first autoflowering varieties couldn’t really match the yield, aroma, and potency of photoperiod strains. But things has changed in recent years. Modern autoflowers have great yields, and their buds are of a quality that rivals photoperiod strains.

Whether you grow outdoors or indoors, in this article we’re going to show you the typical mistakes that are usually made when growingautoflower genetics and proposing alternatives that will make your grow much more efficient, with greater yields and higher quality of the final product.

Timing is everything,

If you’re planning to grow autoflowers outdoors. Since autoflowers don’t depend on light to flower, you don’t need to worry too much. But, planting too early will generate smaller yields and planting too late affects yields too.

Using too small a pot…

This is a common mistake that often can often lead to disappointment for the grower, who may end up harvesting a plant that’s only 20 or 30 centimetres high, with a much lower yield than expected. To avoid this unfortunate phenomenon, we need simply use good-sized plant pots from the start, with a minimum capacity of 7L for indoor plants and 15L outdoors. This way we make sure that the plant will reach a considerable height before flowering, and be able to deliver the yields we expect.

Frost must be avoided…

Most growers begin planting when spring is just around the corner. Depending on where you live, you can plant the seeds as soon as the frost clears. If you reside in a location that doesn’t receive any snow, go ahead and plant when the temperatures range between 22°C to 28°C.

Transplanting automatic plants…

Another frequent error, and one which is often a result of the last mistake we mentioned. It’s not uncommon – in fact, in many cases it’s correct – to think that it’s better to use several pots throughout the plant’s life cycle. However, automatic plants really don’t like transplants! The golden rule: to avoid problems when working with auto genetics we should always use one single pot of the correct size from the beginning to the end of the grow, or if possible, grow in full soil.

Over and underwatering autoflowering plants…

Cannabis in general – and automatic varieties in particular – prefer an irrigation cycle by which the substrate goes from being wet (but not soaked) to almost dry (never completely dry, otherwise the roots will quickly die). Most plants die if you over or under-water them. Yes, autoflowers need water to grow, but it’s critical to supply it only when the plant needs it. It’s obvious that the timing is important even when the plants need water.

In order to get the timing right, lift the pots and check the weight. A dry pot will be easy to lift whereas container with lots of water will be heavy. The trick is to not let the soil go too dry or too wet, so water the plants only when the pot isn’t too heavy or light.

Training autoflowering cannabis….Yes or No?

There is no black and white answer.

Autoflowering plants are not exactly the ideal genetics to apply pruning techniques to. If we prune an auto plant we run the risk of slowing its growth down too much, resulting in it starting to flower at a noticeably smaller size than that which it could have reached without pruning.

There are enough growth variables across so many commercially available species of cannabis that there is room for both sides of the argument to be correct. Before making topping or training decisions, the general health, vigour and turgor of your plants needs to be considered. They should be growing fast and are lush green and healthy.

We hope that these simple tipss will help you to get a problem-free autoflower harvest. By avoiding the mistakes that we’ve outlined here, you’re already on the right track to success.

These users thanked the author Smokey for the post (total 7):
Minty (Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:32 am) • Guest (Wed May 06, 2020 11:14 pm) • greenfunk (Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:44 pm) • Joker59 (Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:34 pm) • TommyT (Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:17 am) • MrNice (Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:34 pm) • Wrh (Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:15 am)
🍁 Who Jah Bless No Man Curse 🍁

trid

Re: Avoid The Most Common Mistakes When Growing Autoflower Cannabis Plants

Post by trid »

Smokey,

Thanks for the auto flower article. Just what I was looking for.
trid

Currently in design phase.

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Exactly what I needed. Thanks Smokey.
These users thanked the author Minty for the post:
Bulls (Fri May 01, 2020 12:23 pm)

flip
Known User

Post by flip »

Thanks! Really useful info
These users thanked the author flip for the post:
Bulls (Fri May 01, 2020 12:23 pm)
I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing

FX
Known User

Post by FX »

Thanks,very informative post
“Although I am a typical loner in daily life, my consciousness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice has preserved me from feeling isolated.” - Albert Einstein

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

Heres a few more pointers.

1. don't pot them up, not ever...get them into their final pot as soon as possible,
2. pot size, coco plants= at least 10 litres and soil plants at least 15 litres, in a nice light airy mix.
3. pruning- just don't, it will stunt them, and don't top them either.
4 Low stress training, or LST, for definite, do it- if you want to make the most of autos
5. Use a real good quality root stimulant, like H&G roots accelerator. the sooner you get a good root mass, the better, these have a pre determined, limited veg time, so you want to make the most of it
6. Don't be afraid to feed them. don't go nuts, but don't be shy, they wil usually surprise you with how much the can uptake.
7. WAtering - use the wet/dry cycle.

And don't waste your time with any of the DP offerings, you could grow a photo plant faster.

Heres one I did, back in the dark ages, when I used to grow autos. I couldn't fit the other half into the pic.
this one was in soil, just for those who doubt I could grow anything in soil, if they read my breeding bollox ha ha Image
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post:
Joker59 (Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:34 pm)

HGC

Post by HGC »

This was a very informative read. I will try my hands on autoflower on the next run. Thanks for the write up.

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

will use these tips on mine

Smelierjoint

Post by Smelierjoint »

+1 on the tips, fantastic info.
Sj.

Pass da duchi to dee left hand side :pass:

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

Smokey wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:21 am

Autoflowering cannabis strains are awesome. Just a few years ago, many growers didn’t take autoflowers seriously. They saw them as something suited for beginners, as the first autoflowering varieties couldn’t really match the yield, aroma, and potency of photoperiod strains. But things has changed in recent years. Modern autoflowers have great yields, and their buds are of a quality that rivals photoperiod strains.

Whether you grow outdoors or indoors, in this article we’re going to show you the typical mistakes that are usually made when growingautoflower genetics and proposing alternatives that will make your grow much more efficient, with greater yields and higher quality of the final product.

Timing is everything,

If you’re planning to grow autoflowers outdoors. Since autoflowers don’t depend on light to flower, you don’t need to worry too much. But, planting too early will generate smaller yields and planting too late affects yields too.

Using too small a pot…

This is a common mistake that often can often lead to disappointment for the grower, who may end up harvesting a plant that’s only 20 or 30 centimetres high, with a much lower yield than expected. To avoid this unfortunate phenomenon, we need simply use good-sized plant pots from the start, with a minimum capacity of 7L for indoor plants and 15L outdoors. This way we make sure that the plant will reach a considerable height before flowering, and be able to deliver the yields we expect.

Frost must be avoided…

Most growers begin planting when spring is just around the corner. Depending on where you live, you can plant the seeds as soon as the frost clears. If you reside in a location that doesn’t receive any snow, go ahead and plant when the temperatures range between 22°C to 28°C.

Transplanting automatic plants…

Another frequent error, and one which is often a result of the last mistake we mentioned. It’s not uncommon – in fact, in many cases it’s correct – to think that it’s better to use several pots throughout the plant’s life cycle. However, automatic plants really don’t like transplants! The golden rule: to avoid problems when working with auto genetics we should always use one single pot of the correct size from the beginning to the end of the grow, or if possible, grow in full soil.

Over and underwatering autoflowering plants…

Cannabis in general – and automatic varieties in particular – prefer an irrigation cycle by which the substrate goes from being wet (but not soaked) to almost dry (never completely dry, otherwise the roots will quickly die). Most plants die if you over or under-water them. Yes, autoflowers need water to grow, but it’s critical to supply it only when the plant needs it. It’s obvious that the timing is important even when the plants need water.

In order to get the timing right, lift the pots and check the weight. A dry pot will be easy to lift whereas container with lots of water will be heavy. The trick is to not let the soil go too dry or too wet, so water the plants only when the pot isn’t too heavy or light.

Training autoflowering cannabis….Yes or No?

There is no black and white answer.

Autoflowering plants are not exactly the ideal genetics to apply pruning techniques to. If we prune an auto plant we run the risk of slowing its growth down too much, resulting in it starting to flower at a noticeably smaller size than that which it could have reached without pruning.

There are enough growth variables across so many commercially available species of cannabis that there is room for both sides of the argument to be correct. Before making topping or training decisions, the general health, vigour and turgor of your plants needs to be considered. They should be growing fast and are lush green and healthy.

We hope that these simple tipss will help you to get a problem-free autoflower harvest. By avoiding the mistakes that we’ve outlined here, you’re already on the right track to success.

Thought I would bring this one back for some
These users thanked the author JJ for the post (total 2):
camkush (Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:30 pm) • Wrh (Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:17 am)

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”