Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Smoking with family

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Pork Chop Express

Smoking with family

Post by Pork Chop Express »

Sorry if this is unacceptable, but you guys are probably the most level headed guys out there when it comes to "all things" cannabis.

I have a question: my son is nearly 17, he already smokes it with his mates (we have a great relationship, he tells me everything) he's getting to that age where I share a beer with him at he weekends now... Which I hate but that's the socially acceptable thing for a lad that age to do with his dad.

My question is - would it be terrible to share a bifta with him do you think? I mean, he's an adult next year. And he already does it.... Help guys. I'm on the fence. I haven't told him I do yet (and won't be telling him I grow it) but maybe it's the better option compared to afew beers around the fire pit? I mean we're all about the legalization and mainstream of cannabis culture after all. And I never ever lie - I'd hate to be a hypocrite

Options welcome!!

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Re: Smoking with family

Post by JJ »

I was in same boat...my daughter..5 years older and into it when my son was in 17 yr. age..I went slowly into smoking but son got tipsy first few times...worked thru...better dad showing than...damn fast learner now he is 27 and teaching me..best friends
I think it would be ok
These users thanked the author JJ for the post:
Pork Chop Express (Tue May 02, 2023 2:56 am)

Pork Chop Express

JJ wrote:I was in same boat...my daughter..5 years older and into it when my son was in 17 yr. age..I went slowly into smoking but son got tipsy first few times...worked thru...better dad showing than...damn fast learner now he is 27 and teaching me..best friends
He lives with his mum and she has the mindset of just letting him stay out all the time.... I hate that. He's already getting into drinking vodka with his mates, made himself sick afew times he tells me.

I love that he tells me, but I hate he's drinking. It's such a toxic habit. He smokes weed too with his friends (they're the music kids, play guitars, etc, straight A student) we have such a cool relationship, my thinking is that if I show him the weed life, it'll be a healthy thing for us both, laughs, heart to heart conversation and ultimately harmless! Maybe he'll step away from the drinking when he's with his mates? His mum is buying him alcohol now, it Infuriates me

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

Well..that's a problem of the drinking...too much too soon..Youngs will learn on their own without you...just watch the wrong road for him..mine did some other drugs..they did talk about it andi said dont let it control you.aka-dont get hooked..i .hope you can fit in...remember,,you are not their FREIND..you are a parent first...
These users thanked the author JJ for the post:
Pork Chop Express (Tue May 02, 2023 3:12 am)

Pork Chop Express

JJ wrote:Well..that's a problem of the drinking...too much too soon..Youngs will learn on their own without you...just watch the wrong road for him...hope you can fit in...remember,,you are not their FREIND..you are a parent first...
I know that's why I want to talk this out before making the jump.... For the record, I'm not worried about him. He's just doing the dumb shit we all did at that age. I just want to put him on a better path. If I'd found weed at that age maybe I'd have not gone down the road of alcohol, cocaine, fighting and jail time.

Since that lad was born if done nothing but live the perent life. Theyve been my entire reason for living... I just feel that now he's already doing it - maybe it's better I share the occasional one with him at the weekends? Give us something to stay bonded over and hopefully steer him away from the booze that his mum buys him

I wasn't born a parent, I have no clue what to do now he's this age. That's why I'm looking for advice. It's a hard one.

But my thinking is - he's an adult next year. And he's already doing it, maybe it's a good thing he does it with me and I show him alcohol isn't cool

These users thanked the author Pork Chop Express for the post:
GMO (Tue May 02, 2023 9:46 am)

Mafooo
Known User

Post by Mafooo »

First off, Im glad you feel comfortable enough to put this question out to the community here. Big ups to you for taking this question seriously with intention.

I will toss my two cents in here since I was in a very similar situation when I was your kids age. I lived with my mom who was a tight ass. Never let me go out to parties, concerts, festivals. I used to sneak booze while I walked to school in the morning. I had started smoking with some friends around 15 and my dad waited for me to bring it up to him. He wanted me to find my own way to cannabis naturally. Didnt want to influence me. Once I became open with him about it we would occasionally share a session and then play cribbage or watch tv together. It was special and deffo a bonding thing. Especially since I didn't get much time with him. He stopped growing when I was 10 and he knows I grow. I give him a cut of every harvest now.

So…to answer your question… since your kid is open with you about his use, and you seem to have a good relationship, I would wager that he would benefit from a good session with you and vice versa. Be a good time to have those heart to hearts and see where he is at in life. I dont remember having great answers to my dads questions but I appreciated him wanting to ask and to check in with me. Safe to say I never told my mom and still havent! But ive literally smoked with everyone from my dads side of the family. Even grandpa!
These users thanked the author Mafooo for the post:
Pork Chop Express (Tue May 02, 2023 10:18 am)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

i think having the convo is important
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
Pork Chop Express (Tue May 02, 2023 10:21 am)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Pork Chop Express

Mafooo wrote:First off, Im glad you feel comfortable enough to put this question out to the community here. Big ups to you for taking this question seriously with intention.

I will toss my two cents in here since I was in a very similar situation when I was your kids age. I lived with my mom who was a tight ass. Never let me go out to parties, concerts, festivals. I used to sneak booze while I walked to school in the morning. I had started smoking with some friends around 15 and my dad waited for me to bring it up to him. He wanted me to find my own way to cannabis naturally. Didnt want to influence me. Once I became open with him about it we would occasionally share a session and then play cribbage or watch tv together. It was special and deffo a bonding thing. Especially since I didn't get much time with him. He stopped growing when I was 10 and he knows I grow. I give him a cut of every harvest now.

So…to answer your question… since your kid is open with you about his use, and you seem to have a good relationship, I would wager that he would benefit from a good session with you and vice versa. Be a good time to have those heart to hearts and see where he is at in life. I dont remember having great answers to my dads questions but I appreciated him wanting to ask and to check in with me. Safe to say I never told my mom and still havent! But ive literally smoked with everyone from my dads side of the family. Even grandpa!
That has been my approach so far. I don't tell him I do it, but in February he wanted to miss a weekend with me because his mates were having a party - I said that's fine go have fun. The next weekend he was here and he told me once everyone had gone to bed that him and his friends smoked some weed and that he had a really nice time just sitting playing guitar and having a laugh with his mates.

I was really proud of him for telling me, and I was also really happy that his evening went that way instead of drinking vodka and throwing up like we were doing at that age. Man if only I could have had that relationship with my parents, but then they were so uptight and controlling it was a nightmare. I never want to be like that.

I'm still on the fence about telling him and letting him share one with me occasionally but at the same time like you've just said I think it would be a really wholesome experience now that he's already doing it anyway

Perhaps when this crop is finished I'll muster up the courage to have that conversation with him. Gives me afew weeks to chew it over and see how I feel lol.

Thanks for your reply mate. I really appreciate it, was a really cool read and definitely helped me

These users thanked the author Pork Chop Express for the post:
Mafooo (Tue May 02, 2023 1:04 pm)

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”