Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Questions and Advice for the Coco Growers

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Benjic93

Re: Questions and Advice for the Coco Growers

Post by Benjic93 »

Thankyou for all Knowledge @Vador @Momma bear @Keeno @Hmr81

So I guess everyone does it differently, which was expected. I suppose just have to see what works best.

@Vador I havnt got a drainage system in mind. I was planning on have them raised above a tray and will empty the tray as and when needed.. I tend to work harder not smarter.. I will look into a drainage systems though... I'll see how hand watering gets on but I've been slowly looking up and automated watering system. I'll get the hang of Coco before I invest in that though.

Regarding run off.. I always have a run off when feeding anyway. I see some people even PH there run off.

@Hmr81 your hand feeding daily in 15lt pots? Dam, I was hoping it wouldn't turn into a daily job due to work commitments. I guess if I'll be Finnishing in 8lt pots it'll almost be a twice a day Job. I may go with my 12lt pots then lol.

I'm going to pot them up tomorrow soo wish me luck.

It's all trial and error I guess.

Thankyou everyone. Let's see what all the fuss is about with coco then!

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

depends really. P5 is in 10ltr pots and seems to be feeding every other day. I've just invested in an autopot system to try and get away from daily feeding but it wont be setup until p5 finishes her grow in the tent.
These users thanked the author Hmr81 for the post:
Benjic93 (Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:08 am)
From the Garage of HMR
No Current Grow on, Point5 has the tent and is doing her lovely thing.

Benjic93

Post by Benjic93 »

Hmr81 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:03 am
depends really. P5 is in 10ltr pots and seems to be feeding every other day. I've just invested in an autopot system to try and get away from daily feeding but it wont be setup until p5 finishes her grow in the tent.
Good luck using it mate. I see automated systems are a pricey venture. I'll get experience with coco 1st before investing in one of those

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

its only a single pot system so was under £50

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

A simple drainage tray can be made like this, have the pots raised up enough to flow into a container below where you can pump the water away.

Or if your looking to spend money the growell rhizosystem works really well, you can buy all the parts seperate as well so you can literally build it how you want. Also you could buy the drainage trays seperate and build your own system from them.
The rhizo system is a feed and drain system, you can buy it all seperate again though and use just the drainage if you wanted.
These users thanked the author Vador for the post (total 2):
Benjic93 (Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:22 pm) • 2-Scoops (Thu May 18, 2023 9:13 am)
░█▒█▒▄▀▄░█▀▄░▄▀▄▒█▀▄
░▀▄▀░█▀█▒█▄▀░▀▄▀░█▀▄

Drugs and Alcohol are never the answer! Unless the question was “what am I doing tonight”.

Benjic93

Post by Benjic93 »

Vador wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:15 pm
A simple drainage tray can be made like this, have the pots raised up enough to flow into a container below where you can pump the water away.

Or if your looking to spend money the growell rhizosystem works really well, you can buy all the parts seperate as well so you can literally build it how you want. Also you could buy the drainage trays seperate and build your own system from them.
The rhizo system is a feed and drain system, you can buy it all seperate again though and use just the drainage if you wanted.
Top picture looks simple enough. Just buy a pump and have it pumped into a container? I try and macgyver everything so I'll fix something up lol.

Usually with my soil grow the run off would of evaporated by time the next feeding comes around lol.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

ImageImageImage
I do summink similar to Vador here, basically i just put a pot in a pot with an outlet to let waste drain away, its just how i was shown to do it way back and I've stuck with it cus it works a treat. You can just about see waste bucket i empty in 3rd picture and both waste pipes run into it which i just empty down shitter when its full, where as the top picture those had separate waste buckets, much bigger pots though @ 25ltr top & 10ltr bottom picture. 8-)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Vador (Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:17 pm) • waxjess420 (Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:03 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Benjic93 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:29 pm
Top picture looks simple enough. Just buy a pump and have it pumped into a container? I try and macgyver everything so I'll fix something up lol.

Usually with my soil grow the run off would of evaporated by time the next feeding comes around lol.
yeah you can use a pump if you like or use gravity its up to you.
If youve got the head room it makes sense to do what 2scoops has said and just use buckets or raised trays.
The rhizo system in the photo above uses gravity to run the water from the pots into “the brain” which is the black bucket in the photo, in the brain there is a float switch and a pump on a timer, when the level in the brain reaches a certain height the pump kicks in and drains the brain, the hose from the brain you can run anywhere, i run mine into a barrel and fill it up to use in the garden.
Oh yeah nearly forgot, the pump is on a delay timer, when you activate the float valve there is a couple of second delay before the pump kicks in, when the float drops there is also a delay when the pump turns off, this stops the pump kicking in and out too much. Literally the hardest part of the build is the timer circuit but if your any good with electonics it would be easy to build one yourself.
These users thanked the author Vador for the post:
2-Scoops (Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:27 pm)

GreenFingerz_

Post by GreenFingerz_ »

I’ve always used Canna Coco with some clay balls or perlite. Give it a good watering with cal mag and let it sit for few days before popping seeds/ seedlings in then just mist for a day or two. Currently usning DNA X Mills Coco/Cork mix and it’s going really well. The cork acts as perlite does but also produces Co2, unsure of what level though.

How are you finding using coco now?
These users thanked the author GreenFingerz_ for the post:
Benjic93 (Sat May 20, 2023 12:18 am)
:coco:

Benjic93

Post by Benjic93 »

GreenFingerz_ wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 12:05 am
I’ve always used Canna Coco with some clay balls or perlite. Give it a good watering with cal mag and let it sit for few days before popping seeds/ seedlings in then just mist for a day or two. Currently usning DNA X Mills Coco/Cork mix and it’s going really well. The cork acts as perlite does but also produces Co2, unsure of what level though.

How are you finding using coco now?
Hey @GreenFingerz_, So I've just harvested my grow last night. I must say, I don't think I'll be going back to soil again. It was a struggle getting into it. The 1st few weeks I was adamant it'll be my 1 and only Coco grow lol. Almost cut them all down a couple times. Once I got the swing of it, it was plain sailing. Its an absolute grind hand feeding daily and I go through a ton of nutrients (Canna A&B) but man I could see the difference in growth. I've currently got a veg tent full over a month old and I've ran into zero problems so far. 100% better then my previous start. Only downside is I forget how vigorous they actually are in coco and my tent is packed so there a little un happy but 100% healthy... Once I flip my veg into flower I'm going to start going down the rabbit hole of coco and learning about it more and how to really benefit in coco for my 3rd attempt. I'm definitely going to look into drip feeders for my next round though 1000%. All in all, coco for the absolute win!
These users thanked the author Benjic93 for the post:
GreenFingerz_ (Sat May 20, 2023 10:19 am)

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”