Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

AutoPot and the Shed

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Hmr81

AutoPot and the Shed

Post by Hmr81 »

Howdy all, So after @Point 5 has finished this grow in the shed i am wanting to install a single autopot system ( https://autopot.co.uk/all-products/syst ... ot-system/ ). I've been looking at @Cave Hill Cole grows and im well up for this! but i have a few question that im sure the collective can answer for me :)

As im in a shed, im assuming i will need to use a fish tank heater to keep the feed warm enough. for a 47l tank im thinking a small 50w fish tank heater would be enough?

Would i need to aerate the 47k tank? some sort of pump pumping air into it? or do i not need to worry about that? do i need to keep the feed moving or would it be fine?

Any advice greatly received. Ive got a few weeks to work it all out but would like to get it sorted as soon as i can.

Thanks tribe!
These users thanked the author Hmr81 for the post (total 4):
Herbalist (Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:03 pm) • 2-Scoops (Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:46 pm) • Nom (Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:26 pm) • MommaB (Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:25 pm)
From the Garage of HMR
No Current Grow on, Point5 has the tent and is doing her lovely thing.

GHO

Re: AutoPot and the Shed

Post by GHO »

Is your shed well insulated? I've just started chillis in my workshop and I am heating the whole room so not too worried about water temps. Might be worth considering if your shed is warm enough as a whole?

What are you using as feed, does it foam if aerated continually and what medium are you using?
These users thanked the author GHO for the post:
Nom (Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:26 pm)

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

GHO wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:23 pm
Is your shed well insulated? I've just started chillis in my workshop and I am heating the whole room so not too worried about water temps. Might be worth considering if your shed is warm enough as a whole?

What are you using as feed, does it foam if aerated continually and what medium are you using?
The shed is pretty much ambient temp tbh. Im in coco and use the shogun nute range. Not a clue if it foams up if aerated tbh.
These users thanked the author Hmr81 for the post:

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

When I used them I just put a small water pump in the res on a timer to turn it over a few times a day, fish tank heater would indeed keep it warm if need be. Some kind of drip clean to help prevent the autopot valves from blocking although I believe the latest ones have a bigger hole so it may not be such an issue anymore. Copper discs in the bottom of the pot do help stop the roots blocking float valves, dunno if everyone uses them. Once roots hit the bottom your away
These users thanked the author Nom for the post (total 2):
2-Scoops (Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:33 pm) • Cave Hill Cole (Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:29 pm)

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

Cheers @Nom Do you need drip cleaner in the feed mix or is it something you flush the system out with every few weeks or something?

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

I use to just lob it in the res with the grub, but you may not need it with the newer wider diameter valves, i guess it wouldn't hurt though. I always had a sea of springtails in the pot res aswel so don't be alarmed if you see them, I wasn't. But i am a bit half arsed usually. Had a flood a couple of times with the older model of valves but that was my fault and lack of maintenance. It's a good system

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Hey bro

I run a 37l autpot in the garage.

I did have a heater at some point but it possibly overheated the water thus causing evaporation and increasing the EC. But this could have been my heater.

I noticed salts in my tank and then I put a siccee circulator in and ran it every 4 hours for an hour daily. It kept it well mixed but think I was using too much nutess anyways as most dont use them. I took both out as I had issues with my plants (process of elimination)

This time I'm putting the res inside the tent as I'm only running 2 plants with HPS so it should keep it warm.

One valve did fail on me..but out of the 4 that was the only issue. I got some water sensors in after that.

The inline taps tend to fail..I use them to release water into a tray to keep it blockage free..sometimes they fail to shut properly. So worth buying some spares.

Other than that this is my second run on them. Main reason was the daily feeding that I don't have time for.
These users thanked the author wutang for the post (total 2):
Nom (Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:27 pm) • Cave Hill Cole (Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:31 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Hmr81 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:27 am
As im in a shed, im assuming i will need to use a fish tank heater to keep the feed warm enough. for a 47l tank im thinking a small 50w fish tank heater would be enough?
I use an 100watter from time to time in my 70ltr tank set at 23c, but I've not used it yet this winter. But its said oversized for jobby, when i bought it, but i went in with one size up just to make sure. not sure that helps you though. But If you use a small bubbler stone, well that should help to keep water moving and spread warmth around as well as aerate your mix, but those little bubblers i think they can make a constant low noise, so i would think flooming your mix is best way to spread and keep water close to set temps and more aerated. You could prolly get away with out aerating your mix so long as your temps are ok, but yes I'd get an heater of some sort and stick it close by outlet in tank, i just think that`ll be closest to right temp as to what you've set it and more constant this time of year. That system though i think they sit in feed a little bit type thing, (constant wet n dry cycles) so it soon be cold outside. But my feeling is that id do them both myself if its gonna get cold and tis good way to try and keep your mix warm at a decent temp that wont cause stress this time of year.
Im in coco and use the shogun nute range.
Those are synthetic salt base ferts i think ? But if so no those shouldn`t foam up. You could bubble those ferts all week long in your small tank and they wouldn`t or shouldn`t foam up at all.
Last edited by 2-Scoops on Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Cave Hill Cole (Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:31 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

This all awesome info, thank you so much.

Yea shogun is synthetic I believe.
2-Scoops (Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:52 pm)

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

So i did as thing and purchased a single 15l autopot system. Im planning on using the shogun nutes as i currently do.

Still not sure if i should keep it moving with a pump or soemthing?

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”