Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Insulation Board recommendations? Long winded post for a DIY illiterate who needs advice

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
SteveMcqueen

Insulation Board recommendations? Long winded post for a DIY illiterate who needs advice

Post by SteveMcqueen »

Hello Gr420. Iknow I'm not very active on here but I'm trying to change that and get a grow going.

My current space is a wooden shed. Pretty big. I've got a 100x100 tent to go in there. I'd like to build a insulated box around the tent and I'm stuck between 2 kinds.

I can get -

Kay Metzeler General Purpose Polystyrene EPS70 - 2400mm x 1200mm x 50mm for £24 a board
OR
Kingspan TP10 Insulation Board - 2400 x 1200 x 25mm for £39 a board. There from wickes and its only £5 delivery. Some places charging £75 WTF?? AND they have the ideal sizes :(

Iknow kingspan is superior but the price comparison is crazy. I could get double the thickness for £15 cheaper.

My plan is to buy 3. Cut them in half so then I have 6 1.2m boards. 4 for the sides 1 for the top and 1 for the floor.

Ideally I don't want to build a frame. Space wouldn't really allow it. So I'm thinking of nailing them together (bar the door) I don't want to insulate the shed, it's too long and would just be costly.

Would it work? Would I get away with the kay metzeler Polystyrene?

I've also built a make shift box to put my oil rad in outside the tent and have my inline connected so it's bringing in warm air. Holes are also in the box to bring fresher air in also.

Sound ideal?

Apologies for the long post. Really appreciate any help. Thankyou. Love you all!
These users thanked the author SteveMcqueen for the post (total 2):
Inactive account (Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:21 pm) • MrNice (Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:37 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Re: Insulation Board recommendations? Long winded post for a DIY illiterate who needs advice

Post by Marcus »

Hi Steve, loved the motorbike jump you did...

Have a mooch for Celotex, you can get 50mm sheets for half the price of kingspan.

Alas, I can;t really answer your questions as I have never grown in a shed.

Hopefully some shed dwellers will be along soon to help you out.
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post:
SteveMcqueen (Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:29 pm)

Hmr81

Re: Insulation Board recommendations? Long winded post for a DIY illiterate who needs advice

Post by Hmr81 »

Tbh maye I think any of your options will do the trick our tents our in a shed and we only really have basic insulation and duvets over and around the tent. So I would suspect any of those options will do the trick.
These users thanked the author Hmr81 for the post (total 4):
SteveMcqueen (Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:33 pm) • Marcus (Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:34 pm) • wutang (Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:33 pm) • Guest (Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:19 am)
From the Garage of HMR
No Current Grow on, Point5 has the tent and is doing her lovely thing.

SteveMcqueen

Post by SteveMcqueen »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:27 pm
Hi Steve, loved the motorbike jump you did...

Have a mooch for Celotex, you can get 50mm sheets for half the price of kingspan.

Alas, I can;t really answer your questions as I have never grown in a shed.

Hopefully some shed dwellers will be along soon to help you out.
Just living on the edge 🤙

Thanks mate, I've come across it but 90% of sites are £50+ delivery. Most of the good stuff (50mm anyway) is sold out at my local b&q so wickes is really the only place I've found willing to deliver a few that I need for reasonable delivery fee. I just don't know how well insulated Polystyrene does. Obviously kingspan is the go to but for a cheaper prices I get double the thickness. I'll keep hunting tmfor celotex
These users thanked the author SteveMcqueen for the post:
Marcus (Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:34 pm)

SteveMcqueen

Post by SteveMcqueen »

Hmr81 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:30 pm
Tbh maye I think any of your options will do the trick our tents our in a shed and we only really have basic insulation and duvets over and around the tent. So I would suspect any of those options will do the trick.
Appreciate that. I just think of Polystyrene as packaging so I don't know how well it insulates. For double the thickness of kingspan at much cheaper price I'm leaning towards it. All the good stuff at my local b&q are sold out. Guess I should of planned ahead

Finchmad_79
Known User

Post by Finchmad_79 »

You not got a jewsons or doves nearby? Should be cheaper than B&Q and Wickes.

SteveMcqueen

Post by SteveMcqueen »

Finchmad_79 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:02 pm
You not got a jewsons or doves nearby? Should be cheaper than B&Q and Wickes.
Havnt heard of them, will check them out. Thanks!

Finchmad_79
Known User

Post by Finchmad_79 »

www.jewson.co.uk
www.jtdove.co.uk

I find Doves gives the better price
These users thanked the author Finchmad_79 for the post:
SteveMcqueen (Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:19 pm)

SteveMcqueen

Post by SteveMcqueen »

Finchmad_79 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:15 pm
www.jewson.co.uk
www.jtdove.co.uk

Appreciate the links 🙏

SteveMcqueen

Post by SteveMcqueen »

Finchmad_79 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:15 pm
www.jewson.co.uk
www.jtdove.co.uk

Do you know if the boards produce much better then the Polystyrene boards I put? Doesn't seem to be cheaper on doves. Cheapest board seems to be about £30 for 25mm. I'm guessing there better though? 50mm for £24 on wickes but that's for the Polystyrene boards

Return to “Cannabis Issues And Questions”