Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Insulation Board recommendations? Long winded post for a DIY illiterate who needs advice

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Finchmad_79
Known User

Re: Insulation Board recommendations? Long winded post for a DIY illiterate who needs advice

Post by Finchmad_79 »

The prices on the website i would take with a grain of salt. Generally when you get to the till you can barter some discount.

Personally i wouldn't bother with polystyrene sheeting, its only good for packaging but if that is what you can afford then so be it. Something is better than nothing.

Compare the r- value of the 2 and see which is better
These users thanked the author Finchmad_79 for the post:
SteveMcqueen (Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:04 pm)

Philzon   Growroom420 Discord
wutang
Known User

Re: Insulation Board recommendations? Long winded post for a DIY illiterate who needs advice

Post by wutang »

I wanted to do the same. I just covered the top last winter with a douvet but it wasn't enough as I should have covered all sides. I wouldn't know how I would have done it with insulation boards anyway, other than strapping it to the sides of the tents, then I smoked a little, got para thinking i could heat it up too much and set the ting on fire as i was using hps600w, so i never went ahead lol.
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
SteveMcqueen (Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:02 pm)

SteveMcqueen

Post by SteveMcqueen »

wutang wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:39 pm
I wanted to do the same. I just covered the top last winter with a douvet but it wasn't enough as I should have covered all sides. I wouldn't know how I would have done it with insulation boards anyway, other than strapping it to the sides of the tents, then I smoked a little, got para thinking i could heat it up too much and set the ting on fire as i was using hps600w, so i never went ahead lol.
😂 Well my plan is to literally just make a box. 6 pieces and nail them together with my tent snug inside. Wether it works or not I have no idea but I need to try something. I just don't wanna throw money away for it not to work. Tried the duvet in the past. Didn't make a lick of difference

Finchmad_79
Known User

Post by Finchmad_79 »

Could you not buy a bigger tent?

SteveMcqueen

Post by SteveMcqueen »

:nice:
Finchmad_79 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:10 pm
Could you not buy a bigger tent?
Have a bigger one gathering dust in the attic unfortunately until I have bigger space. Head space won't allow it though it though so I'm stuck with my 3x3 and temporary insulation box until I'm in a bigger place

Finchmad_79
Known User

Post by Finchmad_79 »

i was thinking you could of put a tent inside of a tent

Post by Guest »

I save all my polystyrene to put in voids around my shed.

I used YBS foil on mine so it should reflect heat in summer keeping it cool and also the same when using heaters from the inside.

You can intergrate more sound proofing if that is desirable too. I used some 6mm thick black under floor tiles which are supposed to be good for flats as sound insulative as well as heat too.......
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 2):
Benjic93 (Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:22 pm) • SteveMcqueen (Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:24 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

Ancient.Soul.Grown

Post by Ancient.Soul.Grown »

Hey, personally i would go with the proper insulation board.

In this case if you go for the cheap option then yeah its insulated but not as well as the kingspan.

Fixing the panels i would go down the lines of expandable foam can... Then use nails if desired to pin.

Make sure you have an air gap on the base add skids get it off the ground.

Maybe you should get a new hut :) BIIIIG hut hahahahaaaa

Just think of the amount of seeds you could pop mwhahahahahaaaa

Keep us all posted on this please.

ASG
These users thanked the author Ancient.Soul.Grown for the post (total 2):
SteveMcqueen (Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:24 pm) • Guest (Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:06 pm)

SteveMcqueen

Post by SteveMcqueen »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:23 am
I save all my polystyrene to put in voids around my shed.

I used YBS foil on mine so it should reflect heat in summer keeping it cool and also the same when using heaters from the inside.

You can intergrate more sound proofing if that is desirable too. I used some 6mm thick black under floor tiles which are supposed to be good for flats as sound insulative as well as heat too.......
Does Polystyrene do well for insulation then? I always saw it as packaging rather then insulation. It's 50mm so pretty thick.
These users thanked the author SteveMcqueen for the post:
Guest (Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:06 pm)

SteveMcqueen

Post by SteveMcqueen »

Ancient.Soul.Grown wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:12 pm
Hey, personally i would go with the proper insulation board.

In this case if you go for the cheap option then yeah its insulated but not as well as the kingspan.

Fixing the panels i would go down the lines of expandable foam can... Then use nails if desired to pin.

Make sure you have an air gap on the base add skids get it off the ground.

Maybe you should get a new hut :) BIIIIG hut hahahahaaaa

Just think of the amount of seeds you could pop mwhahahahahaaaa

Keep us all posted on this please.

ASG
Oh man If the misses allowed it I would just build a large hut over the garden and just have one big shed. But we meet halfway.

I was just going to have a board underneath the tent so the tent will be resting on it. Is that OK? Or does it need something over the board before putting the tent on it? In all honesty I was just going to use probable double sided sticky tape to stick them together to create a box lol
These users thanked the author SteveMcqueen for the post (total 2):
Ancient.Soul.Grown (Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:36 pm) • Mellowed (Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:59 am)

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”