Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

To chop or not to chop (yet)

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Growmie

Re: To chop or not to chop (yet)

Post by Growmie »

MrBill wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:16 pm
Wardrobe Farming wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:18 am
Dont want to insult your knowledge but I think you might be confusing pistils for trichomes. The general idea is to try and get as many mature trichomes as possible. You may need a cheap jewelers loupe to get a good look at them since they are so small. The ones demonstrated in the picture below are on sugar leaves but the ones you want to focus on should be on the bud itself since that is what you will be smoking. Sugar leave trichomes will mature first and could give you a false state of maturity since they have been around longer than the bud. Most people try and wait for some amber to appear since that will hopefully ensure the majority are at least cloudy. It is all preference at the end of the day and there should be a decent window of opportunity. Patience is key tho and going by your picture you have closer to 4 weeks left but it will all depend on how she matures. Nice looking bud tho πŸ‘Œ and best of luck πŸ‘

A photo of my trichomes with a 60x loupe
First, I am not insulted in the least. If I wasn't looking for information, help, opinions, knowledge I don't have and/or criticism I wouldn't have posted. I'll take all I can get!
On closer look the plant in the lower pic looks to be more developed than the other. I think I'll sacrifice the cola on that one and some of the top buds and let the rest and other one go a couple more weeks.
I was going to let them both go longer but the next 2 are right behind them with 3 more about a week and a half behind them.
Gonna call the first cut a learning experience and Christmas. I've still got 6 more beans to germ after.
Thanks for all the input guys!
:thanks: :barmy: :pass:

Don't take my advice on this, I am still very new to growing myself, but from what I've read chopping some uppers and leaving other lowers to grow can induce stress and cause herming problems and is not worth it in the long run as even if it doesn't herm the stress won't actually make the buds mature/grow much bigger. I'm sure someone more experienced will tell you I'm wrong, just what I read haha. Best of luck mate.
These users thanked the author Growmie for the post (total 2):
MrBill (Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:02 pm) • Stickylemonz (Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:59 pm)

MrBill

Post by MrBill »

I've heard that too. Only looking to let her go a week and see what , if anything, happens.
These users thanked the author MrBill for the post (total 2):
Growmie (Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:06 pm) • Stickylemonz (Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:59 pm)
"Normal" is not a goal. It is a level to be surpassed on the way to "memorable". :Stoned:
:puff puff: (UNLESS of course, the goal is NORML)

Growmie

Post by Growmie »

Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:02 pm
I've heard that too. Only looking to let her go a week and see what , if anything, happens.
Keep us posted mate, definitely intrigued to see the outcome. Maybe you can disprove what I've read haha.
These users thanked the author Growmie for the post:
MrBill (Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:42 am)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

They look to be or i should say are at that packing on weight stage atmo @MrBill
Growmie wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:32 pm
but from what I've read chopping some uppers and leaving other lowers to grow can induce stress and cause herming problems
I doubt it very much Growmie, basically their won`t be enough time for that to happen cus after you`ve removed tops your only gonna be leaving bottoms for another week to 10 days on plant, so theirs not really enough time for plant to start or show its hermie`ing. If anything it would be more beneficial to those buds left on plant cus inducing stress at this stage can induce extra resin production. Theirs good and bad stressing of plants and I'd put this one in " good " bracket.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 3):
Growmie (Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:48 pm) • Stickylemonz (Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:00 pm) • MrBill (Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:18 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Growmie

Post by Growmie »

2-Scoops wrote: ↑
Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:39 pm
They look to be or i should say are at that packing on weight stage atmo @MrBill
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:32 pm
but from what I've read chopping some uppers and leaving other lowers to grow can induce stress and cause herming problems
I doubt it very much Growmie, basically their won`t be enough time for that to happen cus after you`ve removed tops your only gonna be leaving bottoms on plant for another week to 10 days on plant, so theirs not really enough time for plant to start or show its hermie`ing. If anything it would be more beneficial to those buds left on plant cus inducing stress at this stage can induce extra resin production. Theirs good and bad stressing of plants and I'd put this one in " good " bracket.
Thanks for the info mate, as I said I knew someone with more experience would jump in, I was only going by what I had read, but I think it's mostly pertained to autos although not sure that makes any difference? I feel silly now as I could have probably got more yield had I left some lowers to mature/fatten up haha
Everyday is a school day on GR haha. Thanks mate.
MrBill (Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:18 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:49 pm
, I was only going by what I had read, but I think it's mostly pertained to autos although not sure that makes any difference?
Nah i doubt it. For plant to hermie from bud you`ve gotta see nanners appear firstly which then pollinate the weed and time it takes from seeing nanners to seeing seeds is around 3 to 4 weeks. I just can`t see it myself. I mean even if ya did see a nanner pop out of a bud in that time theirs just not enough time for it to seed your plant up. Yes technically when you see nanners plant is a hermie but odd nanner is no sweat and i doubt very much you will cause it to happen anyhow. As said theirs just not enough time for it to seed your plant. What im saying is if you was to cause it to hermie its only gonna be an odd nanner in bud you just pull it out carefully, but certainly no seeds,

if you were to find seeds in your bud after doing this then its hermie`d long before you`ve removed tops to let bottoms come on a bit more for an extra week to ten extra days. Fem budding plants auto`s or photoperiod will all try to hermie themselves as they come towards end of their lives, leave them long enough to so you collect fem pollen to create fem beans auto or photoperiod. I think Soma uses this technique to create fems.

Theirs always risks to doing anything stressfull to weed plant but as said i would call doing this good stress.
I feel silly now as I could have probably got more yield
You know now . :nice: Errm dont blame me if shit hits fan :shit: but it won`t seed your plant in those time scales as said. :running-around:
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 3):
Growmie (Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:11 pm) • Greenfingers (Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:26 pm) • MrBill (Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:18 pm)

Growmie

Post by Growmie »

2-Scoops wrote: ↑
Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:37 pm
, I was only going by what I had read, but I think it's mostly pertained to autos although not sure that makes any difference?
Nah i doubt it. For plant to hermie from bud you`ve gotta see nanners appear firstly which then pollinate the weed and time it takes from seeing nanners to seeing seeds is around 3 to 4 weeks. I just can`t see it myself. I mean even if ya did see a nanner pop out of a bud in that time theirs just not enough time for it to seed your plant up. Yes technically when you see nanners plant is a hermie but odd nanner is no sweat and i doubt very much you will cause it to happen anyhow. As said theirs just not enough time for it to seed your plant. What im saying is if you was to cause it to hermie its only gonna be an odd nanner in bud you just pull it out carefully, but certainly no seeds,

if you were to find seeds in your bud after doing this then its hermie`d long before you`ve removed tops to let bottoms come on a bit more for an extra week to ten extra days. Fem budding plants auto`s or photoperiod will all try to hermie themselves as they come towards end of their lives, leave them long enough to so you collect fem pollen to create fem beans auto or photoperiod. I think Soma uses this technique to create fems.

Theirs always risks to doing anything stressfull to weed plant but as said i would call doing this good stress.
I feel silly now as I could have probably got more yield
You know now . :nice: Errm dont blame me if shit hits fan :shit: but it won`t seed your plant in those time scales as said. :running-around:
Gotcha mate. Thanks for info and advice, i have to stop reading and believing everything I see online haha, always love to learn more about the hobby though. Even if I did get some seeds I wouldn't be unhappy so perhaps I'll try it on the next lot of the lowers don't seem as far matured/fattened.
If the bud was pollinated but not far along enough to create seeds would the pollen etc affect the smoke at all? Or would there be no difference?
MrBill (Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:17 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:15 pm
If the bud was pollinated but not far along enough to create seeds would the pollen etc affect the smoke at all? Or would there be no difference?
Hmmm tbh im not sure on that bit. But really i don`t think it will happen unless plant has that hermie trait . Put it this way it`s still gonna get you smashed whether it does or not.

Most hermie weed plants i think its down to shitty genetics im not saying stress won`t cause it to happen. But yes i think if plant has that hermie trait a little bit of stress can send it hermie. I might be wrong on that bit, but its just my thoughts on jobby .
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Growmie (Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:57 pm) • MrBill (Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:17 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:28 am
These are the most mature 2. Sorry about the picture quality but this is as good as i can get on this phone.
They're about 10 weeks old, auto-flowers Gorilla Glue. Trics appear to be white(ish).
What do we think?
Another week or 2 yet?

I'd give that a couple more weeks probably Mr Bill.

She looks happy and healthy, nice! :cheering:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 3):
Wardrobe Farming (Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:24 pm) • duke (Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:42 pm) • MrBill (Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:17 pm)

Wardrobe Farming

Post by Wardrobe Farming »

Stickylemonz wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:52 pm
Dont want to insult your knowledge but I think you might be confusing pistils for trichomes. The general idea is to try and get as many mature trichomes as possible. You may need a cheap jewelers loupe to get a good look at them since they are so small. The ones demonstrated in the picture below are on sugar leaves but the ones you want to focus on should be on the bud itself since that is what you will be smoking. Sugar leave trichomes will mature first and could give you a false state of maturity since they have been around longer than the bud. Most people try and wait for some amber to appear since that will hopefully ensure the majority are at least cloudy. It is all preference at the end of the day and there should be a decent window of opportunity. Patience is key tho and going by your picture you have closer to 4 weeks left but it will all depend on how she matures. Nice looking bud tho πŸ‘Œ and best of luck πŸ‘

You smashed it with this explanation mate!!! Although I knew this I wouldn’t have been able to put into words like that so thank you!
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:13 pm

What an amazing write up and the pictures are honestly so helpful. As Sticky said I already knew all this but would not have been able to do it justice like you did mate fair play πŸ‘πŸ»
Tictok wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:16 pm

What he said. Brilliant post.
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the positive response. :thanks:
These users thanked the author Wardrobe Farming for the post (total 4):
Stickylemonz (Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:02 pm) • duke (Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:00 pm) • MrBill (Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:17 pm) • 2-Scoops (Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:41 pm)

Return to β€œCannabis issues and help section”