Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Twisted leaves, yellowing and brown spots, help needed!

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
veroxas

Twisted leaves, yellowing and brown spots, help needed!

Post by veroxas »

Hello everyone, I'm growing lemon haze auto and I'm having continuous problems. It's my first time growing in coco (pro +) and I feed it with advanced nutrients micro, bloom, grow + roots + calmag. I was over watering it first but now stabilised watering and feeding. I give it 1ml of calmag, micro, grow and bloom per 1l water, ec goes up to 0.8 with RO water keeping ph at 6. It's 3 weeks old in 6l fabric pot under 100w spider farmer light and humidifier at 60%.

Brown spots appeared recently but twisting and yellowing was there right from the start.

Anybody can recognise the symptoms?

Brown spots seems like calcium deficiency and twisted leaves perhaps PH problem symptom, evem though I think I'm feeding it right...

Thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited by The Aspie Toker on Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed image formatting.

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
veroxas

Re: Twisted leaves, yellowing and brown spots, help needed!

Post by veroxas »

I switched to RO water to see if it will help with current problems and growth in general, also saves me hassle keeping tap water in container for 24h for chemical evaporation, here in uk water has a lot of chlorine...

Are you sure about dropping calmag? Coco has no nutes and from what I researched, calmag is crucial in coco.

I will try out your advice and see what happens :)
These users thanked the author veroxas for the post:
2-Scoops (Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:25 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

:morning:
veroxas wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:00 am
I switched to RO water to see if it will help with current problems and growth in general, also saves me hassle keeping tap water in container for 24h for chemical evaporation, here in uk water has a lot of chlorine...

Are you sure about dropping calmag? Coco has no nutes and from what I researched, calmag is crucial in coco.

I will try out your advice and see what happens :)
Within the UK chloramine is used and doesn't evaporate. Other than bringing up the water to temperature, you're wasting your time trying to off-gas it. Switch back to municipal water would be my suggestion.

Also the twisting will be Calcium. Calcium is responsible for cell formation so lack of it can also lead to distorted growth. Looking back at your mix, you sure you not putting too much CalMag in and not enough base feed? Too much calcium will complete with Potassium and Magnesium and exhibits itself as yellowing and necrosis around the edge of leaves as well as rust spots too.

You also need to run a higher EC when using RO to compensate for the lack of minerals etc.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 2):
veroxas (Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:13 pm) • 2-Scoops (Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:25 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

veroxas

Post by veroxas »

Recommended dose of calmag on the bottle is 0.5ml per 1l for seedlings and 1ml per 1l water for bigger plant so I try to follow that, also got base nute feeding guide off YouTube as guide on bottle is overkill from what I read, it's recommending 4ml per 1l water when people have very successful grow feeding 1ml/l all three base nutes through entire growth.

Anybody else has suggestion on feeding with advanced nutrients?

Is calcium abundance similar to deficiency then?

veroxas

Post by veroxas »

By the way, when I mix 1ml calmag with 1l RO water, EC goes up to 0.3, ia this too much?

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

veroxas wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:48 am
Recommended dose of calmag on the bottle is 0.5ml per 1l for seedlings and 1ml per 1l water for bigger plant so I try to follow that, also got base nute feeding guide off YouTube as guide on bottle is overkill from what I read, it's recommending 4ml per 1l water when people have very successful grow feeding 1ml/l all three base nutes through entire growth.

Anybody else has suggestion on feeding with advanced nutrients?

Is calcium abundance similar to deficiency then?
Never believe what you hear on YouTube. You should be making up the majority of your EC up with base and add a little CalMag if you see any issues.

Your base feed will have plenty of all macro, secondary macros and micros. AN has been formulated for RO water so they also take the lack of calcium carbonate into consideration and provide more for that reason.

Not only that, AN uses chelators to make all elements super available.

The reason why Coco has a slightly different required profile than most hydroponics media's is because it can hold onto cations like Sodium, Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium. If you're running a good quality Coco like Canna, this has been processed to lower the EC and buffered with CalMag to get you going but as you feed the plants, cations will be absorbed by the Coco. You normally run a little higher on the CalMag to compensate for this. I've glossed over a lot of details but most has been covered here in previous posts.

RO water has 0 buffer. This means no calcium carbonate or anything else. This brings several downsides. 1) it will dilute pretty much anything as pure H20 is a very powerful solvent. This means you require more feed in the mix. 2) no buffer means the PH will swing wildly as the water picks up things. 3) it doesn't have the same sterilisation properties as municipal water so can be subseptible to harbouring pathogens.

Calcium toxicity will inhibit the plants ability to uptake several elements. It will reveal itself as several deficiencies but the main ones are rust spots, yellowing of the older folage and burnt tips and twisted growth.

Hope this helps.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
veroxas (Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:13 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

veroxas wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:06 am
By the way, when I mix 1ml calmag with 1l RO water, EC goes up to 0.3, ia this too much?
I only raise mine to about 0.1 with CalMag. 0.2 would be my absolute max.

Your issue is your plants are hungry. Get the EC up to around 1.2EC with just base nutrients and make sure the PH is around 5.8 with no extras and I promise they will look much better in a week or so. Then if you see some interveinal chlorosis later on, add a smidge of CalMag.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
veroxas (Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:13 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

For reference, here's a plant that has been grown using RO water and has had 0 CalMag and just a balanced diet of base feed and a few stimulants. As you can see there is no deficiencies. The internet does love to hype up CalMag to be the answer to everything. IMO, it's only required if your plants and large, consuming a lot of nutrients in many cases.

These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 4):
MrNice (Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:42 pm) • Trex (Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:48 pm) • veroxas (Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:13 pm) • Guest (Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:06 pm)

veroxas

Post by veroxas »

This is great help, thank you so much for this! Im using canna coco professional plus +, which i think is buffered.
These users thanked the author veroxas for the post (total 2):
seymore_budz (Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:39 pm) • Trex (Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:46 pm)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

I guess thats one way around the post count meter to able to post on here for pics.................LOL

love it beat the system

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”