Good reads? Long form articles and non-fiction books

Music, movies, hardbacks & more
Joker59
Known User

Good reads? Long form articles and non-fiction books

Post by Joker59 »

I spend a good percent of my time reading. I love history, science, tech, true crime, and cooking

I prefer to read long form and/Or investigative articles or non fiction books. Any suggestions?? I will also be posting articles I come across :)
These users thanked the author Joker59 for the post:
IMO (Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:04 am)
Just a Canadian Cannabis enthusiast🇨🇦 If you aren’t learning then what’s the point!?
“You may be Galileo, but your probably just wrong! “
“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it“ Evelyn Beatrice Hall.
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=6271 Purple Orange (CBD+), CBDurban, Gorilla Zkittles, And more!! IG@thekidchronnabis

Mini-G-Star
Respected Member

Re: Good reads? Long form articles and non-fiction books

Post by Mini-G-Star »

Sorry I just read fiction really.
These users thanked the author Mini-G-Star for the post:
Joker59 (Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:17 am)
"It's not about how hard you can hit; it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

Joker59
Known User

Post by Joker59 »

The Hacker Who Saved the Internet
At 22, he single-handedly put a stop to the worst cyberattack the world had ever seen. Then he was arrested by the FBI.
9/10 Sooo good, great writing, great subject, little heavy on the background but I guess that’s part of why I like long form
https://www.wired.com/story/confessions ... -internet/

Dee Dee Wanted Her Daughter to Be Sick, Gypsy Wanted Her Mom Murdered
Dee Dee Blancharde was a model parent: a tireless single mom taking care of her gravely ill child. But after Dee Dee was killed, it turned out her daughter Gypsy had never been sick at all.
7.5/10 Sooo fucked up, really interesting story, little long at approx 35 min but I can dig it
https://www.buzzfeed.com/michelledean/d ... .npWqEl41V

Thirty-six Thousand Feet Under the Sea
The explorers who set one of the last meaningful records on earth.
7/10 really interesting read and good writing! Could of done with more pictures tho
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020 ... er-the-sea

Point 5
Respected Member

Post by Point 5 »

The mafia cook oom is a good read even if you don't cook. The stories behind the meals are fascinating
Whoever said the best things in life are free blatantly grew their own pot
:puff puff:

Joker59
Known User

Post by Joker59 »

Hmr81 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:30 am
ImageSpike milligans war story, five volume of utterly brilliant comedy, and the slow journey of a man descending into madness.

Also, as yiu like cooking the below is a book I have had for years and years but if I'm making a big Italian family feast its a go to book, recipes and stories all the way through
Thank you 😊 I will look into those and I’ve actually seen that book! I think my fiancés mom has it, I may have to ask about borrowing 💚

Joker59
Known User

Post by Joker59 »

Point 5 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:06 am
The mafia cook oom is a good read even if you don't cook. The stories behind the meals are fascinating
Ohhh that’s cool, I’m a sucker for history even if it’s just a individuals! Thank you

Joker59
Known User

Post by Joker59 »

Elijahgrowz wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:26 am
Not something I've ever been able to do, my brain doesn't compute, I have to read a paragraph by time it ended I have to go back and read it again takes me like 30 minutes for 1 page, even then I still couldn't tell you anything that's happened on said page 🤷‍♂️.

Wish it was something I could do they say intelligent people read says a lot about me :lol:
I’m like that with movies bro, I have to re-watch them or drive people crazy with questions...although I’m normally reading on my phone so maybe that’s why lol
Honestly I don’t think it has much to do with intelligence, yes smart people tend to read a lot but I don’t think the opposite is true. My mom never reads and my dad does all the time and she’s definitely the smarter one in most ways 😆

Maybe instead of books try some of these articles! If you enjoy any I’ll start posting regular ones as well instead of just Long-reads

Joker59
Known User

Post by Joker59 »

Some links to great articles, I’ve read the first article a few times since it was first wrote and I always enjoy it, she’s a good writer and you can tell she puts a lot into it 💚 The second one is especially interesting if you ever watch Naked and Afraid! It’s realer then you may of guessed!

Five hundred feet below ground with Ohio coal miners. A reporters journey under to see how America’s forgotten “freedom fuel” is mined and meet the men and equipment that supply 50% or more of North American power!

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/big-iss ... ?printable

“WHEN THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL INVITED ME TO AUDITION FOR ITS POPULAR SURVIVAL-CHALLENGE REALITY SHOW, I KNEW IT WAS GOING TO BE ROUGH. WHAT FOLLOWED WAS ONE OF THE MOST INTENSE EXPERIENCES OF MY LIFE.”

https://www.outsideonline.com/2410017/n ... -braverman
These users thanked the author Joker59 for the post (total 2):
Elijah Growz (Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:02 am) • ohlordyeah_420 (Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:00 am)

ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

The room where it happened - john bolton

Memoir of one of trump's cabinet reveals how clueless the president is. As much light as it shines on the president it also shows the author to be a bit of a war loving dick. Still interesting.

Cant hurt me - david goggins

Autobiography crossed with a self help book. Entertaining and life changing. Shows the limits we put on ourselves are bullshit.

Lost connections
Chasing the scream - both by Johann hari.

Lost connections is about how using medicine to cure depression is like trying to stop smoke without putting the fire out.
Chasing the scream is about the war on drugs and how it started due to blatant racism. Cant recommend these 2 enough as they're educational and moving.

There's loads more but im on a coffee break in work and will add more later.
These users thanked the author ohlordyeah_420 for the post:
Joker59 (Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:56 pm)
diary link me do

"I fucking hate harvesting. I like planting the things and watering them, and looking after them, talking to them. I don't like fucking harvesting."

"You like smoking them, though."

"Oh, I like smoking them."
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Joker59
Known User

Post by Joker59 »

ohlordyeah_420 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:29 am
The room where it happened - john bolton

Memoir of one of trump's cabinet reveals how clueless the president is. As much light as it shines on the president it also shows the author to be a bit of a war loving dick. Still interesting.

Cant hurt me - david goggins

Autobiography crossed with a self help book. Entertaining and life changing. Shows the limits we put on ourselves are bullshit.

Lost connections
Chasing the scream - both by Johann hari.

Lost connections is about how using medicine to cure depression is like trying to stop smoke without putting the fire out.
Chasing the scream is about the war on drugs and how it started due to blatant racism. Cant recommend these 2 enough as they're educational and moving.

There's loads more but im on a coffee break in work and will add more later.
All of those sound great and I’m headed to my kindle app right now to see about Chasing The Scream (I’ve read a sample and it is great thanks for reminding me)

The John Bolton book has been on my list for a while! Been waiting for it to be a prime deal cause then I get it free with my kindle unlimited package lol but fuck I may have to buy it...I just hate the idea of giving that fuck my money lol

Thank you very much!
These users thanked the author Joker59 for the post:
ohlordyeah_420 (Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:29 pm)

Return to “Music, Movies & Multimedia”